400 dollar cheques for albertans.. thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 400 dollar cheques for albertans.. thoughts

What is everyones thoughts on the $400 cheques we'll be getting soon from the provincial government?

Personally I like the idea of having kickbacks for having the highest grossing province.

I also think Klein is pretty smart for what he's doing.
    Everyone right now complains that the money should go to hospitals, schools, etc and I agree to a degree that yes adding to those will help but the people forget that there are already set budgets for hospitals, roads,etc.

So by Klein giving us all 400 bucks he knows right where its going.. gambling, booze, gas, debt payoffs.. and well car mods for us lol.

Point is its going straight back into the alberta economy which in turn goes back into the roads,etc lol..

oh well i look forward to my 400 dollar mod fund

Re: 400 dollar cheques for albertans.. thoughts

He has managed to pay off all of Alberta's debt and still give away money with all aspects of the economy being considered. It's a good point Ryan, It's not like people are going to take their money elsewhere, they will spend it here, it's a win win situation.

Comment

When are we to see this money....

From my point of view I would much rather see this money go into our education system... oil and gas will not be around of ever, an educated population is a rich population.

But I am not going to ***** about free money, its going straight into new Celis Headlights (Angel Eyes)

What are people going to be doing with there money ?
      2001.5 Audi S4

Originally posted by James
      My engine may be a solid 4 liters smaller than yours, but i have a HUGE penis

Comment

People are going to ***** no matter what. Personally I'm going to put mine towards a temperpedic mattress. My back kills.
        Last edited by Mr. Burns; 10-04-2005, 08:13 AM.

Present
        2010 Audi A4 S-Line
        2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
        2003 VW Jetta GLI
        1992 VW Jetta GL
        1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

thats the best answer yet mike.

i'll probably pay off some CC with mine or buy snow tires for my the baron

Comment

ya..Mines goin to some snow tires for sure!

speaking of which, when is this supposed to come?
            REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
            -james

Comment

Hopefully the real snow waits a week or two as I am not ready to stop driving the Jetta yet... plus I have to go to Red Deer/Sylvan Lake tomorrow afternoon for work and the GTI needs a tune up before it makes a trek like that.

Present
              2010 Audi A4 S-Line
              2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
              2003 VW Jetta GLI
              1992 VW Jetta GL
              1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

real snow.. oh probably end of october mid november i'm guessing.. 14 day trend on weather network shows not great weather like highs of like 10ish for the next while but it can always change..

Comment

Well I do think that it shows that our province is doing well economically and that makes me proud to live here and I do think governments should be run more like a business to make them successful (The US would have gone broke years ago ).

Anyway the $400 is after they spent the bulk of the surplus which was over 7 billion I believe on other things which will help out areas of need. The only thing that maybe I would like to see is a reduction of healthcare premiums as I hate paying those things every quarter.

The $400 from every person will mostly go back into the economy, which is probably why we wont get them till November so it can be used as Xmas shopping money but will be win win as said! I am not sure what to spend mine on, maybe some DVDs, or Smart mods or put it away for my big trip next year!
                  Blair
                  Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

It's nothing more than a tax rebate and I'm not sure why so many people are over-analysing it (more so newspaper/beyond thread etc). We have health care premiums, sask doesn't - so we get a rebate instead. Our insurance is more expensive etc - it's a shell game.

I'll be paying for more car repairs for the project car.

Khyron
                    Geoff
                    Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

What a stupid idea to take a billion dollars and break it up into 3 million little parts. With the power a billion dollars can generate, whether it through legacy building projects, infrastructure such as education or health care, or any other major long term project that is a lot of money in one large pot. But no, lets divide it so that each regular person can maybe throw a little bit of it into an already booming economy makes no sense.

But then again, it does fit in nicely with the rest of his royal highness Klein's time on office
                      The world has but three sports, Bullfighting, Mountain Climbing, and Motor Racing. All the rest are merely games - Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Yes but remember there was 7 billion to start so he is only giving away one and the other six is going to all that stuff.
                        Blair
                        Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by nephilim
                          What a stupid idea to take a billion dollars and break it up into 3 million little parts. With the power a billion dollars can generate, whether it through legacy building projects, infrastructure such as education or health care, or any other major long term project that is a lot of money in one large pot. But no, lets divide it so that each regular person can maybe throw a little bit of it into an already booming economy makes no sense.
                          I have to agree. When you have that much money you can do great things. You could help a lot of people or solve big problems. When you give tiny cheques to millions of people, a lot of those people will just waste the money on VLT's and cigarettes. Imagine if there was a 1 billion dollar scholarship trust for students in Alberta.

I think its a very bad idea.
                          KR
                          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Not that I live in Calgary anymore, but I also think it's a bad idea. Oil and gas is boom and bust...why not save it for a bust year?

Mind you, oddly enough I have great respect for Klein and his antics. Look what he's done for the province! In Ontario, my property taxes are going up 12% ($2800 for a !#$!%'ing townhouse) and yet there's a decrease in services each year (this year they decided not to mow any of the grass along the sides of city roads...it's a freakin weed jungle). Ontario sucks. Alberta's where it's at! If only they had a semiconductor industry out there
                            1.8T
                            Not quite stock anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by nephilim
                              By that argument, we could add another percentage to the income tax - it's only a few dollars, but as a whole makes billions more revenue. Think of what we can do! Or imagine if we doubled taxes!!! We could do even more wonderful things!!!!! Where's that line again? What about your natural gas rebates - the gov could keep that too and do something great. Maybe build some Alberta pyramids?

I would like a reduction in income tax, but if that's not possible (because one day the revenues won't be as high) then a permanent dividend cheque just like Alaska works out to the same thing.

Khyron
                              Geoff
                              Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Working...
                              X