Jetta V trannie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetta V trannie

Am i seeing things? Does VW not intend to offer a real manual gearbox with the Jetta V? Are we doomed to a world without a clutch pedal? Tiptronic is great . . . for people who can't drive stick or don't want to drive stick. Rowing through the gears makes driving exponentially more fun for me and I can't see myself getting the same satisfaction from paddles on the steering wheel . . . unless i'm in an F1 car.
    Last edited by R_Ethug; 02-22-2005, 10:46 AM.

Re: Jetta V tannie

huh? 6spd will be on the 2.0T and DSG for the whole line. i imagine a 5 or 6spd will be on the TDI to..

Comment

Autos will be out first but there will be 6 speeds soon after dont worry!
      Blair
      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

I'm a manual lover, but that DSG is faster than any conventional gear box. I don't drive manual because I love the clutch pedal, I drive it cause it's faster.

Khyron
        Geoff
        Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron
          I'm a manual lover, but that DSG is faster than any conventional gear box. I don't drive manual because I love the clutch pedal, I drive it cause it's faster.

Khyron
          DSG won't hold up to large increases in engine torque though...
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Re: Jetta V trannie

Bah - if they're stuffing it in the high end audis, it will be more HP that I'd need in a jetta imo. I thought I read somewhere it's good to 300?

Khyron
            Geoff

Comment

Good to hear about the manual trannie not going out the window . . . it just didn't seem right. Maybe the DSG is faster to shift and maybe it's even more efficient overall, but balls to that!!! I'm sure many people will disagree with me, but I feel DSG technology is impure . . . don't cars have enough sensors and giwhoozits to foul as things are? It's just one more incomprehensibly expensive component to breakdown in the middle of nowhere or in an intersection during rush hour.

Then again, I don't even like power windows. I have them in my car and I wish I didn't. What's wrong with a crank? Are we really that lazy? Sure, we can argue points of convenience, accessibility, etc . . ., but in my opion - and it's just my opinion - a car is a machine, not an appliance and, therefore, mechanical components - not computers and controlling software - are what make them what they are.

Now, I'll bet a lot of you think I'm on the nutso side after this rant, but the trannie is where I draw the line. The computer can control everything from throttle to ignition to air/fuel ratio to cabin temperature and do a better job than an old school design, but I'm going to control what gear I'm in and when and I just can't compromise. I should also note that I've got nothing against people with automatic transmissions - that's your thing, so good on you, but I just plain hate them.

Oh, one more thing . . . rain sensing wipers? I can sense rain using my god-given sensors and it ain't hard to move the lever centimetres away from my right hand one notch up.

Whew . . . I need a drink.

Comment

The trade off for autos is the torque converter makes them slower. But a DSG is a manual with 2 clutches so it's faster than anyone less than an F1 driver. Plus you still get to manually pick the gears when you want - it's a manual without the foot pedal. Nothing like a tiptronic.

Damn I want one but I like my car and will be keeping it for awhile yet.

Khyron
                Last edited by Khyron; 02-23-2005, 01:04 AM.
                Geoff

Comment

Whats the loss from DSG though?
                  KR
                  Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

First, third and fifth run off of clutch 1 and second, fourth, sixth and reverse are on clutch 2. This is no slush box.

Neil
                    '03 Silver Jetta 1.8T - gone, but not forgotten

mods to my car

Comment

Well I have driven a lot in a DSG and it is very good and quick but I would still pick a 6 speed over it given the choice. Not sure on the loss, but yes they are limited in their ability to handle greater amounts of torque, hence why an RS6 does not come with it.
                      Blair
                      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Cool diagram.

So, there are actually two seperate input shafts attached to two clutches? Interesting. Wouldn't it be fun to tear one apart? Getting it back together is another thread . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
                          Whats the loss from DSG though?
                          There shouldn't be any as it IS a 6 speed manual. It's proven better 0-60 times, equal or better fuel econ and throttle response than a manual (not clear how the last part works).

When you put it in sport mode, it shifts automatically but keeps the RPMs between 4-5000 - I suspect these are going to be huge advantage on the track. A BMW will shift in .8 seconds. The Audi is .04

I loathe tiptronics, but this is different. As the guy from 5th Gear said, it's better than anything put out by Aston Martin, Ferrari, Mclaren etc.

And seriously, even if the upper limit is "only" 300+ hp, how many people are worried about hitting that limit with their Jetta?

Heh - the only real complaint it seems is that it's too perfect: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1820673

Khyron
                          Geoff

Comment

Sport mode is crazy, keeps the revs super high and does some crazy downshifts. Not very good for driving in the city but I am sure it would be great on the track, the only thing that moves faster is the gas needle when it is sport mode
                            Blair

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo
                              Well I have driven a lot in a DSG and it is very good and quick but I would still pick a 6 speed over it given the choice. Not sure on the loss, but yes they are limited in their ability to handle greater amounts of torque, hence why an RS6 does not come with it.
                              They can handle 500+ (remember they had DSGs in the early rally cars). It's all in the clutch plates/programming. But you're right the power limits will hinder some people for sure because you can't just slap in bigger clutches.

Another quote from jamie@vortex:
                              If you look at it from that perspective - the 02J is designed to handle only 180 ft. lbs or torque and the 02M 6 speed the same as DSG - since they share the same internals. We all know that those transmissions can handle much more torque then they are rated too. However the DSG is different because it's ECU controlled and has wet-clutches. The ECU will dial back power to save the clutches from overheating. That's the main problem. The new Passat will have DSG with a 360 ft.lb rating.

Khyron
                              Geoff

Comment

Working...
                              X