DJ Instructional videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DJ Instructional videos

Some of you may find this interesting, I found it on the M-audio site because I'm hopin to get one of their Midi Keyboards for Christmas. I've only watched a couple so far (Crystal Method and BT) but found it really interesting, Crystal Method talked about Reason and how they use it and BT did this sweet demo of "live". He took a track (Earth wind and fire) that he had never used before and mixed on the fly. Blair if you're thinking of ever doing live DJ'ing you should check it out.

I don't think all the vids are DJ's but some of them are anyway.

Anyway here's the site, I plan to check out a couple more tonight:

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...9dcb9e8c53e0dc
    Last edited by Tuna; 12-14-2004, 05:16 PM.
    Jay

Re: DJ Instructional videos

Or..

You could tell me I am awesome and a really super guy, buy me dinner and I might consider giving lessons.

I still have a 16 channel mixer, 2 Techniques sl1200's, and an old Denon mixable CD pair sitting in my studio with a few thousand records laying around.

I did mobile and played in bars for about 10 years. I even got invited on to Electric Circus back when they brought in local DJ's and EC didn't suck hard. Cheap buggers wanted me to pay for airfare, so I couldn't afford to go. :(

Comment

That's cool I will have to take a look at that vid when I have some time or maybe book a couple lessons with Glenn I have been loosing a bit of interest in this stuff lately as money is a bit locked up with getting a new place and I also have spotted something I really want for my car.......turbo
      Blair
      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by NeonGTI
        Or..

You could tell me I am awesome and a really super guy, buy me dinner and I might consider giving lessons.

I still have a 16 channel mixer, 2 Techniques sl1200's, and an old Denon mixable CD pair sitting in my studio with a few thousand records laying around.

I did mobile and played in bars for about 10 years. I even got invited on to Electric Circus back when they brought in local DJ's and EC didn't suck hard. Cheap buggers wanted me to pay for airfare, so I couldn't afford to go. :(
        That is very cool....I used to like EC before, well, the Hip Hop movement. Denon mixable CD's eh? Man those things still go for ~1200 each (I HAD to look at them while I was at Mothers Music). Did you use much software? I'm just using Reason 1.0.1 and I'm trying to get Reason 2.5. I really suck so far, just getting used to the program, I've made some cool loops but haven't figured out how to automate . I still need way more equipment before I'm able to do anything substantial. My friend has fruityloops so I may try and patch that in to my Reason synth. If you use s/w I'd be interested in seeing your setup for sure.

BTW, how come you don't do it anymore? Lost interest?
        Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo
          That's cool I will have to take a look at that vid when I have some time or maybe book a couple lessons with Glenn I have been loosing a bit of interest in this stuff lately as money is a bit locked up with getting a new place and I also have spotted something I really want for my car.......turbo
          Really? losing interest? That's too bad. I was lucky I had a bunch of equipment come with the house so I feel I should make some good use of it. A turbo would be very cool too, at least you can prioritize, my problem is I'm trying to get things in parallel, stuff for the house, car, and some music stuff if i'm able to afford it. But I better start saving for suspension or I'm gonna be hurting come spring.
          Jay

Comment

I did have a computer hooked up to my system for recording and whatnot for a while and I was using PCDJ for software mixing and Cool Edit for recording and post-processing.

I haven't done any production in years. I used an old version of rebirth and fruityloops. I don't know when to say a track is 'done'. I keep futzing with it until I've killed what I had originally planned, then I have a hissy fit and storm away. My frustration and property destruction prevention mechanisms have kept me away from making anything more.

I have some buddies who have done some good production and remixes for BMG and X-Mix and stuff like that and they all use ProTools.

Comment

Originally posted by NeonGTI
              I did have a computer hooked up to my system for recording and whatnot for a while and I was using PCDJ for software mixing and Cool Edit for recording and post-processing.

I haven't done any production in years. I used an old version of rebirth and fruityloops. I don't know when to say a track is 'done'. I keep futzing with it until I've killed what I had originally planned, then I have a hissy fit and storm away. My frustration and property destruction prevention mechanisms have kept me away from making anything more.

I have some buddies who have done some good production and remixes for BMG and X-Mix and stuff like that and they all use ProTools.
              Yea, my friend has ProTools but I'll mainly go for that when I look at getting more instruments into things. I played around with Rebirth a while ago (Simon L showed it to me, I've been hooked on trying to make this stuff ever since), it was a cool program but so hard to try and use, I spent 2 days reading the manual had an ok handle on it, I'm just not fast enough for all the real time mixing, I like automation. ReDrum on Reason is nice and easy though so I've been adding that in.
              Last edited by Tuna; 12-15-2004, 01:19 PM.
              Jay

Comment

Heh, you want a struggle with real-time mixing.. Try mixing in to a track during a big set then finding out the track is a total loser on the floor and choosing another track and mixing it in in under a minute. There were very few weekend nights that I didn't finish the night off sweating like a pig.

My first set of Denon's were bought in 1991 (or 1992?) and cost me almost $3,000. They suffered a bit of a meltdown during a power-spike once so I bought another set off e-bay for $125.00+shipping. You don't need the extra crap that comes with the new bling ones, especially if you are just learning. Go do a search for Denon DN-2000f

Why did I stop doing it? A couple of reasons. First, I had a day job that paid a WHOLE lot more. I couldn't get only Friday and Saturday nights, all of the places I looked at wanted mon, tues, fri, sat etc etc. Getting home at 4 am then being at work the next day at 8 am sucked ass. I miss playing in a club big time. I regularly had people coming up to me at the end in tears blubbering about how it was the best night they had in a club in years, I miss building things up and then dropping a massive track and feeling the roof almost blow off the place. I was resident at the Fox north for a couple nights a week about 10 years ago and for TWO YEARS after I quit they had people asking when I was coming back. That's a good feeling.

Second, there was almost no money in it after I had to buy the crap music that you have to play for requests. Yes, I know I can download it now however if you get spot checked (it happens) and you are using pirated music then your life is over. It's a long story and it has happened to guys.

I did mobile for a bunch of years before I went in to the clubs and could barely break even. My own sense of pride may have done something to reduce profitability as I cut no corners. At the time I was doing mobile there were a lot of hacks who were just undercutting on price. To cover expenses and staff $300 a night just didn't cut it. Mobile sucks hard anyway. Weddings, schools, b-day parties and the most cliche overplayed music each and every time.

I'm still a member of the DJ record pool in Calgary so I get shipped everything that could even remotely be considered clubby every week. I'm sure one of these days the labels will discover I'm not 'practising' anymore. Just this year I stopped getting vinyl as I have a few thousand records in my basement that have never even been opened. Finding the time to sit around and swap records is harder and harder to do. I would much rather audition the new tunes in the car anyway.

Holy babble.

Comment

Well maybe if you ever wanted to get rid of some vinyl or equipment keep us in mind
                  Blair
                  Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo
                    Well maybe if you ever wanted to get rid of some vinyl or equipment keep us in mind
                    Heh, for sure . That was an interesting read, I could def. see how it would suck if you couldn't just do it as a weekend job for sure. The guys I know that gig all the time work at music stores so everyone kind of understands when they walk in with their eyes half open (and occasionally still smelling of the beverage of the night). Having a career and trying to do it would be hard for sure, but sounds like you were really good, I'd find that hard to give up, but I guess if it doesn't pay, it doesn't pay.

Anyway, thanks for the info (going to do an ebay search right now )

Edit: Checked it out just for fun, only 1 set on there but current bid is only 51US with 1 day left, not bad.
                    Last edited by Tuna; 12-16-2004, 10:34 AM.
                    Jay

Comment

....yeah - - i agree, people are basically getting sick of the

same old rock/hip-hop/r&b bullsh*t.....

and there is just this big upsurge from a new style

coming out of Europe - - best place i've found it so

far is a compilation series called 'euro club hits' on itunes

-- or check this link:

http://www.futurelectrohouse.com/tracks

Comment

Back with tha' resurrectah!
                        KR
                        Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

This thread requires....

1. LOLCAT.

2. IP Ban stick.

3. Lock.
                          Jay

Comment

Haha!
                            What are with these Philippines people?

Comment

Blair

Comment

Working...
                              X