Antivirus software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antivirus software

I have a question for all the computer geniuses.

Where is the best (cheapest) place to get antivirus s/w. I've checked Tigerdirect but they don't have any Norton programs. Futureshop wants 70 bucks and I don't have that kind of cash right now. I had to reload my wifes laptop because it was basically unrepairable, but now I need new software (the one that was on there was expired and wouldn't let me update it anymore.

I don't need anything fancy and I don't mind paying for it, especially since I was told that they are really hard to pirate anyway I just can't afford $70 right now.

Thanks.
    Jay

Re: Antivirus software

Memory Exress has OEM Macafee Virus 2004 for 9.95 if that will work.

I personally use Trendmico PCcillin & really like it. I think it was about 45.00 US but worth it for me.

Andrew
    www.livingcolours.ca - This bugs for you

“A man who says he does not let the little things bother him has never spent a night in a tent with a single mosquito” - Unknown

Comment

Yea I'm not sure why I forgot about Memory express, I may buy that for the time being. I can also get f-prot for a decent price to. I heard Mcafee is really slow, but it's cheap. Thanks.

Jason
      Jay

Comment

Corporate-wise, I'd steer clear of McAfee, Im a system admin. at work and we are a Mcafee shop and they are garbage IMO (and I implemented it to 2500 devices so I sorta know what Im talking about). Norton has much better AV solutions than McAfee's ePolicy Orchestrator.

If its for home use, have you looked into AVG? It's free and works pretty damn good. If your a unix guy and have a few machines to protect at home setting up a sophos gateway is not hard and very effective.

edit: Just re-read your post and if you're working on a budget, shoot me a PM and I can hook you up with norton or mcafee corporate ed's for the significantly reduced price of $0 - Im sure a couple of us on here have it kickin around
        Last edited by James; 12-14-2004, 01:12 PM.
        REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
        -james

Comment

I agree on the AVG. For home use, it is very good and free. The site is www.grisoft.com

Comment

Originally posted by thorin33
            I agree on the AVG. For home use, it is very good and free. The site is www.grisoft.com
            plus they have frequent and free updates.
            Eric
            2002 Jetta 1.8T, Black

Comment

Really....well then, I just picked it up over lunch but haven't opened it yet so I could still take it back, maybe I'll look into the free one first though. Thanks everyone for the help.

Jason
              Jay

Comment

Here's my post from awhile back on beyond:

Norton 2003 is good, 2004 is buggy and bloated.

I've been using EZ Armor by computer associates for the past few months - no infections so far. Some guys on here have bought it for 50 bucks but you can get it free on the web with 1 year subscription. Comes with both scanner and a custom zone alarm.

You need to register and give a valid email address. I have not been spammed by them and they have daily automatic virus updates. It is free, with 1 year subscription.

Computer Associates is huge - I assume they are offering their stuff for free to get the name out as a 3rd option to symantec and macafee. I know I will stick with them once the year is up.

http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm

Khyron
                Geoff
                Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Working...
                X