Xbox Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xbox Question

Have any of you modded xbox guys tried doing system link? I want to hook my friends xbox up to mine to play Halo2 but he has a modded box plus I think the game is on his HDD. Any of you guys know if that will work? Apparently he tried doing that with his modded PS2 and it didn't work.

Thanks,
    Jason
    Jay

Re: Xbox Question

Funny how the selling point for console gaming over PC gaming is often simplicity, yet it is much easier to do these things on a PC.
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
      Funny how the selling point for console gaming over PC gaming is often simplicity, yet it is much easier to do these things on a PC.
      Sorry, you lost me. Linking it up is no problem on 2 or even 4 non modded xbox's, even a monkey like me can do it. But in the example of the PS2, it's built in security somehow "knew" the consoles were modded and would not let them talk to each other.

It's funny you mention PC vs. console gaming as I was just discussing that with a friend of mine at lunch. I think what's happening with PC games is that you can't just buy or copy a game and play it anymore, anytime a big name game comes out you have to spend 3 or 400 dollars worth of hardware upgrades just for it to work properly. My friend has his own computer business and everything but the last straw for him was Doom3, in fact I work with 3 guys that all caved and bought consoles because they were sick of spending a couple hundred to upgrade their hardware every 6 months because a new game came out and it would be choppy on their current setup (2 of them just because of Doom3). I haven't been into PC games for a while so I don't really have a lot of experience but it almost seems like programers get "lazy" (I hope that doesn't offend anyone on here) because they know that new, better hardware will come out. When programing on a console all you have to work with is the h/w you have in front of you, there will be no upgrades and it has to be smooooooth. Anyway, i'm not dissing programers or PC gamers or anything like that, far from it, but i've always wondered why, whenever a new PC game comes out it never works on current hardware? I guess the other thing that's nice about a console is when you play online, everyone has the same "Rig" (sorry Ryan but I love that) in PC world you are kind of at a disadvantage if you have a lesser system than someone else out there.

Wow, that was kind of a rant, anyway, does anyone know about the modded xbox thing?
      Jay

Comment

My modded xbox lets me disable the chip and boot in Microsoft retail mode. I could use Live if I wanted to so I'd assume link would be fine.

As for PC games - only people caught in marketing hype keep upgrading for every game. Hell, running Quake 2 on max detail wasn't even possible until years after it's release - just because the option is there doesn't mean you have to have it. Halflife 2 is going to look awesome even on low end hardware - but you can crank it up if you want.

I mean, if you're content with shitty xbox graphics, then why wouldn't you be content with shitty PC graphics?

Khyron
        Geoff
        Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Personally I would much rather kick back on my couch with a controller and play xbox/ps2/whatever on my big screen that sit in front of a computer (which I do all day at work) and keyboard-and-mouse through a computer game on a lcd monitor that is 5 times smaller than my tv.
          Last edited by Mr. Burns; 11-12-2004, 04:58 PM.

Present
          2010 Audi A4 S-Line
          2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
          2003 VW Jetta GLI
          1992 VW Jetta GL
          1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron
            My modded xbox lets me disable the chip and boot in Microsoft retail mode. I could use Live if I wanted to so I'd assume link would be fine.

As for PC games - only people caught in marketing hype keep upgrading for every game. Hell, running Quake 2 on max detail wasn't even possible until years after it's release - just because the option is there doesn't mean you have to have it. Halflife 2 is going to look awesome even on low end hardware - but you can crank it up if you want.

I mean, if you're content with shitty xbox graphics, then why wouldn't you be content with shitty PC graphics?

Khyron
            Hmmm....well he did the chipless mod so it's not that easy to reverse. I was hoping someone tried system link in modded mode.
            Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns
              Personally I would much rather kick back on my couch with a controller and play xbox/ps2/whatever on my big screen that sit in front of a computer (which I do all day at work) and keyboard-and-mouse through a computer game on a lcd monitor that is 5 times smaller than my tv.
              yea, I DO like my 42"
              Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Tuna
                Sorry, you lost me. Linking it up is no problem on 2 or even 4 non modded xbox's, even a monkey like me can do it. But in the example of the PS2, it's built in security somehow "knew" the consoles were modded and would not let them talk to each other.
                I wasn't really talking about linking exactly, just that the whole "mod" phenomenon has gone from being something that a couple of people did to an almost mandatory upgrade path. There is hardly anyone I know who has a console that doesnt have a hard drive, mod chip, and so on. There is also all this discussion about how to copy games etc. Formerly this was all the domain of PC games.

It's funny you mention PC vs. console gaming as I was just discussing that with a friend of mine at lunch. I think what's happening with PC games is that you can't just buy or copy a game and play it anymore, anytime a big name game comes out you have to spend 3 or 400 dollars worth of hardware upgrades just for it to work properly.
                I totally disagree - I haven't upgraded my computer in several years and I can still play all the latest titles such as World of Warcraft, NFSU2, Doom 3 etc etc. My graphics card, a GeForce 3, predates the technology used on the XBOX.

Yes some games do push the limits. However, I don't see it as games that are TAKEN AWAY from me, rather that I have the ADDED OPTION of choosing these games that have advanced graphics well beyond what I can get on my console.

People claim that games run "badly" on their older hardware, but this is often because they are unrealistically enabling the entirely OPTIONAL effects and higher resolutions that are for new hardware only. Game designers for PC are very clever and provide graphic options that can be turned on or off.

I think that you will find that if you have budget or older hardware, and set the options of even the most taxing games to look similar to what a console can provide, you will get a similar experience.
                Last edited by Kor; 11-12-2004, 06:05 PM.
                KR
                Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I feel so uncool for having a stock Xbox that I only play every so often and for not having a computer at home. In fact I dont think I have played a PC game since the good old Sierra days like King's, Police and Space Quest now those were games
                  Blair
                  Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo
                    I feel so uncool for having a stock Xbox that I only play every so often and for not having a computer at home. In fact I dont think I have played a PC game since the good old Sierra days like King's, Police and Space Quest now those were games
                    Well I'm kinda with you Blair, my xbox is "stock" too, with no plans in the near future to upgrade. I also haven't played PC games in a while, I think the last one was the Jedi Knight sequel.

Interesting points Kris, that's interesting that you can still play all those games on your older hardware. I know there are some guys that try and turn all the options to the highest settings and wonder why it won't run properly, but that's not what my friends were doing. Maybe the issue is more that when a game comes out and you CAN have better graphics and sound, the majority don't feel satisfied turning everything down to the min level. Like I said, I am by no means an expert it was just interesting that it was brought up since I just had a disscusion about it shortly before.
                    Jay

Comment

Working...
                    X