How to import to Canada for cheap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to import to Canada for cheap

Can anyone offer me some tips to help beat the tax man/duty charges at the border? I decided the new bike would win out over a turbo for my car, and I want to minimize the added charges at the border for getting the bike here. I thought about using the holding house like in Alex's thread for car seats, but don't have a junker bike to take across the border with me. Add to that, they usually note the serial number of the bike when it crosses over, and verify the serial number on the way back in. Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
    Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
    hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
    sigpic

Re: How to import to Canada for cheap

Well it is not always easy to save money but perhaps I can offer up some info from my experience. You could get the seller to declare it as a gift but most likely will not work with an expensive bike. You can get the seller to delcare the value a lot lower than it is, however customs can revalue if they feel it is not appropriate and I have had it happen. Other options could be to claim it is a warranty replacement which sometimes works but make sure they still claim full value.

Overall avoid shipping companies such as UPS as they charge their own fees and government fees. You will have to pay GST on the value no matter what but it is the other charges that can hopefully be reduced. Good luck!
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

if its down here in the dirrty i can ride it back for you

Comment

It's in Southern California. When are you coming back to Cow town Ryan? Maybe I can have it shipped to your US address and you can bring it back with you? If not, I'll look at the warranty replacement angle, since it's coming straight from the factory. Good idea Blair!

Jeff

Originally posted by Ryan
        if its down here in the dirrty i can ride it back for you
        Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
        sigpic

Comment

Hey Ryan, how come you haven't offered to take my seats back????
          Last edited by Aleks; 11-09-2004, 11:06 AM.
          2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
          2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
          2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

cuz i'm only allowed to bring my laptop and carry on bag on the plane

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan
              cuz i'm only allowed to bring my laptop and carry on bag on the plane
              Pretty sure you can take a bike (if it's boxed) too. Depending on the airline, it can be brought free of charge if classified as exercise equipment!
              Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
              sigpic

Comment

FYI: For everybody shipping via UPS across the border...you DO NOT have to pay the extra BS fees if you do the paperwork yourself (which is not hard at all...). There was a great thread posted about this on beyond, I'll find the link and post it up later

Comment

Originally posted by nismodrifter
                  FYI: For everybody shipping via UPS across the border...you DO NOT have to pay the extra BS fees if you do the paperwork yourself (which is not hard at all...). There was a great thread posted about this on beyond, I'll find the link and post it up later
                  Yeah, you can declare yourself as the broker or something.

You can also ship to a holding house on the border, there is also a beyond thread about how to do this. People most often do it for wheels/tires.

If you are having it shipped across the border, you can also get it declared as a 'warranty replacement'. This basically implies that you already imported the item once, but it was repaired/replaced so the government should not charge you again. I have done it once and it worked pretty good, but on smaller items its easier to declare it as a gift.
                  KR
                  Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Here is the thread about avoiding UPS brokerage fees, very simple process from the sounds of it:
                    http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...threadid=63215

I think I already posted the holding house info here on NVD somewhere but here it is again for anybody else who needs it:

Chief Mountain Junction
                    Junction Highway 17 & 89
                    Babb MT 59411

read weaponr's posts for more info regarding the whole process (remember..its free to pick the items up from the holding house)
                    http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...=holding+house

Comment

Being from a long line of proud U.S. Customs Agents, I can tell there is no way to legally avoid or minimize taxs. This being said, and you being fully warned of the restrictions - I advise you to not, I repeat not attempt to best the systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
                        Yeah, you can declare yourself as the broker or something.

You can also ship to a holding house on the border, there is also a beyond thread about how to do this. People most often do it for wheels/tires.

If you are having it shipped across the border, you can also get it declared as a 'warranty replacement'. This basically implies that you already imported the item once, but it was repaired/replaced so the government should not charge you again. I have done it once and it worked pretty good, but on smaller items its easier to declare it as a gift.
                        Good info. I have been SOL since my Dad sold his company & my free brokeage along with it. We will have to get a convoy down to the clearing house in Babb.

Andrew
                        www.livingcolours.ca - This bugs for you

“A man who says he does not let the little things bother him has never spent a night in a tent with a single mosquito” - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Switchboard-McGillicutty
                          Being from a long line of proud U.S. Customs Agents, I can tell there is no way to legally avoid or minimize taxs. This being said, and you being fully warned of the restrictions - I advise you to not, I repeat not attempt to best the systems.
                          Thanks for that. Im sure you and your family are MUCH smarter than us seeing as you protect the homeland from canadian invasion.

Shouldn't you be lookin for WMD's instead of a couple extra bottles of rum in my trunk? You're no better than mall security.
                          REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                          -james

Comment

Please keep this thread on the topic at hand only provide ideas on what a Canadian could do in this scenario. Reminder personal attacks are not acceptable!!!!
                            Blair
                            Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

I still need good advice too!! I want my seats!!
                              2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
                              2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
                              2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

Working...
                              X