• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jetta vs SRT4... I lose.

Originally posted by Stonewall
    I quote froma movie...
    "I live my live 1/4 mile at a time"
    I quote myself from last night at McDonalds.
    "I live my life one 1/4pounder at a time"
    Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Simon
      I quote myself from last night at McDonalds.
      "I live my life one 1/4pounder at a time"
      MAhahhaaaaa classic
      New one I found:
      " Women are like Voltron, the more you hook up, the better it gets."
      Name: Brent
      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Hmm, I wonder if Boy Racer, or Bart have any srt-4 stories from solo2 or autocross? How are the srt's when the going gets twisty?
        2012 gti, 2012 mustang.

Comment

no there haven't been any, but we'd own them! lol
          2002 VW Golf GT TDI
          2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

first off I should say that I own a lightly modified SRT-4. saw a link to this thread from our forums so i decided to chime in. i love and respect all cars and car enthusiast so i'm not here to hate. just to give my .02 cents. i paid 19,995 for my SRT as it was listed and for the price it is terrific. it is not meant to me an Acura, or Lexus, or any other car. I mean c'mon...its only $20k. You gotta focus on something. And DCX focused on performance with the SRT.

I lost in a race against a modded GTi. But he had to give up all...and i mean all of the luxurious. Turbo kit, stripped interior (the only thing inside was the seat, the shifter, and pedals), lowered running on 15" rims at 20 psi tire pressure. This thing was built to go fast. He ran an impressive 13.4 while I only ran a 14.1. At the time I had no mods except for an intake (I have an 03...no LSD, smaller injectors than 04s and 05s) I have seen 04 SRTs run a 13.8 bone stock just by lowering the front tire pressure. So I have much respect for VWs. But even if I had the money to buy something like an R32 I would pass it up for an EVO or STi. Some people could care less about options and goodies and love performance. I'll go get my groceries in my car, but I'll be back before half-time is over!

oh...and our cars handle incredibly well out the factory but with some suspension upgrades they are very capable of autocrossing with the best of them. with a set of Stage 3 coilovers, new bushings, bigger sway bars and wider tires and its ready to go!

Me and my other friend with an 04 SRT (runs 13.5) hang out with a bunch of VW people on the weekends. You got some cool owners. In fact, I just recruited a GTi to join the racing team I'm on. He's the first VW in the crew. The point of a daily-driver is something that can be a terror on the track, but still functional and comfortable to perform everyday activites like traffic jams and road trips. And the SRT does it very well. It gives you boost when you ask for it and takes it away when you no longer need it.

I will not say my car is better than the next guys...some people love the way Scions look...me personally, i hate them. But I respect them. And thats what everybody in the car community needs to learn to do. It pisses me off that I can watch bikers roll around town and whether they're driving a chopper or a sports bike, they acknowledge each other (most of the time). But if I roll up to a 350Z, Mustang, R32, WRX, Civic, or any other car enthusiast and I try and give a head nod out of respect they rev their engine like I wanna race. There are even some SRT owners out there that would rather race me then say wassup to me, and that annoys me. Alright...I rambled long enough. You can't have your cake and eat it too...unless u have a lot of money. I'll get my BMW in a couple years for my refinement...as for now, I love to go fast and the SRT does that incredibly well for a very low price. Hope to catch a couple of u guys on the road!

"I live my life a gas tank at a time!"
            Last edited by jigga_x; 11-03-2004, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jigga_x
              first off I should say that I own a lightly modified SRT-4. saw a link to this thread from our forums so i decided to chime in. i love and respect all cars and car enthusiast so i'm not here to hate. just to give my .02 cents. i paid 19,995 for my SRT as it was listed and for the price it is terrific. it is not meant to me an Acura, or Lexus, or any other car. I mean c'mon...its only $20k. You gotta focus on something. And DCX focused on performance with the SRT.

I lost in a race against a modded GTi. But he had to give up all...and i mean all of the luxurious. Turbo kit, stripped interior (the only thing inside was the seat, the shifter, and pedals), lowered running on 15" rims at 20 psi tire pressure. This thing was built to go fast. He ran an impressive 13.4 while I only ran a 14.1. At the time I had no mods except for an intake (I have an 03...no LSD, smaller injectors than 04s and 05s) I have seen 04 SRTs run a 13.8 bone stock just by lowering the front tire pressure. So I have much respect for VWs. But even if I had the money to buy something like an R32 I would pass it up for an EVO or STi. Some people could care less about options and goodies and love performance. I'll go get my groceries in my car, but I'll be back before half-time is over!

oh...and our cars handle incredibly well out the factory but with some suspension upgrades they are very capable of autocrossing with the best of them. with a set of Stage 3 coilovers, new bushings, bigger sway bars and wider tires and its ready to go!

Me and my other friend with an 04 SRT (runs 13.5) hang out with a bunch of VW people on the weekends. You got some cool owners. In fact, I just recruited a GTi to join the racing team I'm on. He's the first VW in the crew. The point of a daily-driver is something that can be a terror on the track, but still functional and comfortable to perform everyday activites like traffic jams and road trips. And the SRT does it very well. It gives you boost when you ask for it and takes it away when you no longer need it.

I will not say my car is better than the next guys...some people love the way Scions look...me personally, i hate them. But I respect them. And thats what everybody in the car community needs to learn to do. It pisses me off that I can watch bikers roll around town and whether they're driving a chopper or a sports bike, they acknowledge each other (most of the time). But if I roll up to a 350Z, Mustang, R32, WRX, Civic, or any other car enthusiast and I try and give a head nod out of respect they rev their engine like I wanna race. There are even some SRT owners out there that would rather race me then say wassup to me, and that annoys me. Alright...I rambled long enough. You can't have your cake and eat it too...unless u have a lot of money. I'll get my BMW in a couple years for my refinement...as for now, I love to go fast and the SRT does that incredibly well for a very low price. Hope to catch a couple of u guys on the road!

"I live my life a gas tank at a time!"

Well said.... I'm a VW fan but I'm ok with other people offering their opinion. Welcome.

Do you have a link to your site?
              Last edited by Tuna; 11-03-2004, 01:56 PM.
              Jay

Comment

Originally posted by jigga_x
                You can't have your cake and eat it too...unless u have a lot of money.
                Obviously, someone who has never seen a modded up TDi. Double the horespower, double the torque for about 6 grand in mods...Still get 40 in town, 54-56 on the highway.

'Lil hot rod smoke pot - 2, Premium guzzlin' grocery getter - 0
                TDi performance. Have your performance cake and eat it too
                http://www.cardomain.com/id/z32nut

Comment

Originally posted by Z32Nut
                  Obviously, someone who has never seen a modded up TDi. Double the horespower, double the torque for about 6 grand in mods...Still get 40 in town, 54-56 on the highway.

'Lil hot rod smoke pot - 2, Premium guzzlin' grocery getter - 0
                  DUDE! Quit hyping TDI's like they are race cars! Your car is more a grocery getter than an SRT-4 will ever be. The SRT is a neon: Yes, You've said this. But its a preformance driven neon. Just like a STI is a preformance driven impreza.

I drive a TDI, and I like my TDI but I know that it's not and will never be as fast as a stock SRT. Double the horse and tq for 6g's?! Get real man. I dont think its possible for a 8v 1.9 to put out 460WHP! The TQ , it could happen but it would probably cost more than 6 grand.

God , you're making the rest of the TDI drivers around here look like douchebags. To the poster (jigga_x?): Great post, and I think Z32nut is exactly the type of person you're talking about
                  REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                  -james

Comment

awesome first post jigga_x, thanks for your insight.

I took out an SRT4 last night for the first time. I wasn't expecting much coming from a Neon, but the SRT4's interior isn't actually that bad! It has nice satin silver finishes and a decent guage cluster. The seats are some of the best I've ever sat in as well. Everything felt great about the car, well except the all mighty sound of the door closing (sounded like a tin can compared to the VW in my opinion) and the salesman hismelf. I don't know much about the SRT4 aside from what I've read on the internet, but seems like the guy didnt know anything at all.

He was telling me it has carbon fibre intake manifold so it stays ice cold all the time, that the rear wing was fully functional, and that the curb weight was approximately 2000lbs. As well as a slew of other comments that made me laugh.

final thoughts, my roommate is buying one and I support it. From next week on, there will be a 2005 SRT4 parked next to my 1.8t Golf and I don't mind!
                    Simon

Comment

Originally posted by j'aime ta femme

God , you're making the rest of the TDI drivers around here look like douchebags.
                      Using abusive language to try to prove/disprove a point or belittle someone only goes to show a lack of education and a limited vocabulary that's better suited to the local biker bar. No offence intended to the bikers. Some of those folks are better read than alot of people that have a "higher" education. Once you get past the drugs, prostitution, etc...

Comment

Using abusive language to try to prove/disprove a point or belittle someone only goes to show a lack of education and a limited vocabulary that's better suited to the local biker bar. No offence intended to the bikers. Some of those folks are better read than alot of people that have a "higher" education. Once you get past the drugs, prostitution, etc...
                        And insulting somebody's intelligence is more acceptable? You somehow look much smarter than I am because instead of calling a name (which I never did, I just said you're stereotyping TDI drivers), you used alot of words to call me stupid? Smooth, rico suave, real smooth.

Look - My point is, you think your car is the best because you bought it. Well..Sorry to tell you that if you wanted a fast quarter-mile, you bought the wrong car. I can see the debate between a 1.8 and a SRT happening because its not impossible to get a 1.8 in that range for a decent price. And instead of just calling me stupid and expecting everyone to take your word for it, how about prove me wrong? Show me how I can get 520wheel tq and 460whp for $6000?
                        -james

Comment

Originally posted by j'aime ta femme
                          520wheel tq and 460whp ?
                          Where did you pull those numbers from?? That's almost 4X over stock.

Comment

I think that you guys have confused eachother when Z32Nut said double stock numbers he meant TDI 90hp and Jaime thinks double SRT numbers. So anyway lets play nice and remember SRTs are quick but a modded diesel is no slouch!

And thanks for your insight Jigga
                            Blair
                            Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

I think that you guys have confused each other when Z32Nut said double stock numbers he meant TDI 90hp and Jaime thinks double SRT numbers. So anyway lets play nice and remember SRTs are quick but a modded diesel is no slouch!
                              Thanks prez'

That's the point I was trying to make. Diesel tuning has come a loooong way.

Comment

Thanks prez'

That's the point I was trying to make. Diesel tuning has come a loooong way.

Oh no, dont get me wrong. I obviously wouldnt have bought the car if I didnt like it or see its potential, Im just saying that the diesel cant rival the speeds of the srt. 2 words: Heated Leather

-james

Comment

Working...
                                X