Jetta vs SRT4... I lose.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jetta vs SRT4... I lose.

It'll be interesting to see how Dodge's 2.4t does for long term durability.Aside from the cheap feeling interior and neon "heritage", srt-4's are kinda appealing.

Time for a bigger snail, Kris?
    2012 gti, 2012 mustang.

Comment

potato slicer next year for me well probably next winter

Comment

Kris I thought you were fading away in the addiction to performance mods. Its good to have that fire burning now.

NEW SNAIL KRIS!!! DO IT DO IT.

QuA
        2008 BMW 135i | M Package | JB3 | DCI | BMW Performance Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by QuA
          Kris I thought you were fading away in the addiction to performance mods. Its good to have that fire burning now.
          I just dont tell you about what im doing.
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Atta boy, Qua. Fan those flames!
            2012 gti, 2012 mustang.

Comment

The 2.4 turbo in the SRT has been in use in a lower form of tune for the better part of a decade in Mexico and other regions of South America.

DC didn't do a whole heck of a lot to the motor other than some general beefing up mods like better pistons, bearings and con-rods.

The other parts such as the head, valve-train, rings, and other bits have been around for years, many as far back as the 2.2/2.5's of the 80's. The Neon block is from the Talon turbos and many sources (SCC, Turbo mag) have run obscene power through them.

I've had two Neon's, beat over 100,000 km in to each of them and had zero problems that warranty didn't cover. My current one has survived me learning how to tune a stand-alone EFI system by butt-dyno alone, including a number of instances where I have decided to see how lean I could make it run before it made funny noises, and running to 9,200 RPM on the stock valvetrain. I won't even mention the time I tried 40 degrees of spark advance. All this and compression is still 180's across the board.

Pre-1998 Neon's had new-model-itis, but after that they have been solid.

You can pick up a DOHC 5 speed Neon for $3,500 right now. If you gut the interior you can end up with a 1900 pound wet weight, then slap a cone on the intake, yank the cat and put a glass pack on the exhaust you can run 14.8's at sea-level all day long. Buy an SRT-4 exhaust manifold/turbo for around $1000 and run 5-6 psi of boost with no intercooler and you will take more than a second off that.

Oh, and a stock 'sport' model with a good set of tires will out-handle the majority of cars out there today.

Comment

Originally posted by NeonGTI
                Oh, and a stock 'sport' model with a good set of tires will out-handle the majority of cars out there today.
                You had me until that last part
                KR
                Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

ya, ahahah ummm no.
                  2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                  2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Here's what I know about SRT-4s, considering my brother just bought one.

First, it is similar to a stock Neon. They added a body kit on the front, dual cut-outs on the back (same as the SX 2.0), a big wing (totally not functional) and a hood scoop.

Second, they cheaped the interior. "Viper" buckets are just a high-backed cloth seat and leather is NOT an option. (I love my heated leather seats.)

The car comes with two options - sunroof ($995) and an SRT-4 CD system ($795). A changer is extra, but not an option.

Manual seats, power FRONT windows (yes, that's right, front's ONLY).

Suspension is Tokiko struts and basically a stiffer Neon suspension. Dodge added four wheel discs (a little bigger) but still no four piston calipers or slotted rotors.

I think most of the appeal is the 2.4L turbocharged engine. On this I have to give Dodge credit -- it produces a whopping 230 horsepower and 250 lb-ft of torque. Here's the kicker -- it makes peak torque from 2500 RPM right up to 4600 RPM. And that's why these things are kicking our asses.

Keep in mind that my brother paid nearly 28,000 for his car plus GST. And it's a freakin' NEON!

I'm in to my Jetta for 19,950 from Volkswagon. (2001 GLS 1.8T Fully-loaded).

If I take the extra 8k that he spent on his car and replace my suspension (1000?), add sway bars (600) and buy the Stage II turbo (2995), do a cat-back exhaust (800) and change my intercooler (1295)... I'd still have some change sitting around and I'd be at around 280 horsepower (according to C1).

Plus, I have a power sunroof, heated leather seats w/ lumbar, six disc Monsoon and the sex appeal it holds over my girlfriend (which the Neon does not.)

I think I'll stick with my Jetta and pour 8 grand into it so I can kick my brother's ass and look good doing it.

Just thoughts...

Mark
                    -- Mark --
                    I want my VW to be fast.
                    2001 Blue Lagoon Jetta GLS 1.8T
                    Terrorists suck!

Comment

Originally posted by Electrofuzz
                      I'm in to my Jetta for 19,950 from Volkswagon. (2001 GLS 1.8T Fully-loaded).

If I take the extra 8k that he spent on his car and replace my suspension (1000?), add sway bars (600) and buy the Stage II turbo (2995), do a cat-back exhaust (800) and change my intercooler (1295)... I'd still have some change sitting around and I'd be at around 280 horsepower (according to C1).

Plus, I have a power sunroof, heated leather seats w/ lumbar, six disc Monsoon and the sex appeal it holds over my girlfriend (which the Neon does not.)

I think I'll stick with my Jetta and pour 8 grand into it so I can kick my brother's ass and look good doing it.

Mark
                      This only works if you paid 19 grand instead of 25 - 35 for your VW
                      KR
                      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

True. But we still have more sex appeal. (I need all the help I can get...)
                        -- Mark --
                        I want my VW to be fast.
                        Terrorists suck!

Comment

Cool, let's find a way to spend Electro's $8k!! I love spending other peoples money

I think you should start with a chip. apr, revo and upsolute have good offerings. I know that revo has a big turbo program for the gt28rs. I'm too sure of the others tho.
                          Last edited by 1.8Trip; 09-30-2004, 07:06 AM.
                          Neil
                          '03 Silver Jetta 1.8T - gone, but not forgotten

mods to my car

Comment

Originally posted by 1.8Trip
                            Cool, let's find a way to spend Electro's $8k!! I love spending other peoples money

I think you should start with a chip. apr, revo and upsolute have good offerings. I know that revo has a big turbo program for the gt28rs. I'm too sure of the others tho.
                            I disagree.
                            KR
                            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
                              I disagree.
                              ok
                              Neil
                              '03 Silver Jetta 1.8T - gone, but not forgotten

mods to my car

Comment

Kor, what do you disagree with? The chip?

I think Ill suck it up and buy an APR Stage III.. comes with injectors, chip, etc for 4700 or whatever...

Any other ideas??? Or do you disagree with me on the SRT4 bit?

What do YOU thinkIshould start with???
                                -- Mark --
                                I want my VW to be fast.
                                Terrorists suck!

Comment

Working...
                                X