Watch and Share!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch and Share!

Just saw this on Beyond and thought I should share!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BKdbxX1pDw
    sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
    His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
    Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
    Past:
    B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
    B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
    2004 .:R32 BMP
    2001.5 Noggy blue s4
    2000 VW GTI 1.8T
    1997 VW Jetta VR6

Re: Watch and Share!

This is going to open a can of worms for sure.

I see both sides equally. On one hand, i understand and respect speed limits and i never really see a reason to go faster than the sign says, that being said ive also been in situations where i didnt understand why i was moving so slow on a road that looked very easy to go faster on. Then its over and i dont care anymore

On the other hand...if everyone knows people speed, the cop even said "not a single person is going the speed limit" in a 60 zone, that means if it were an 80 zone, people would be going 100, if it were 100, people would be going 120. There has to be some sort of buffer because you can drive by a cop going 15km/h over the limit and he wont do anything.

I agree with some points in the video but i also disagree with some, i totally get they shouldn't show a car crash and immediately blame it on speed, to be a debbie downer for a minute, my ex girlfriend and 2 best friends were killed in a car accident a few years ago. The media said the same thing, "speeding car loses control, hitting another car, 4 people dead", but the official report was that speed and alcohol were not an issue, it was simply an accident.

Its the same way they put dog attacks on the news, theyll say the breed if its a pitbull to put fear in you, but if its a golden retriever, its a "dog" attack because its not as grabbing.

Im sorry to rant but i feel like you cant get too in depth with this, especially putting science and engineering behind it. Theres laws and limits for a reason, some arent fair but if people just sucked it up for the few minutes they had to, there would be no frustration, and much less accidents. Lower speed limits cause more accidents because people get mad and make stupid decisions (for the most part)

Who are we to judge a speed limit? Honestly, it seems like its a bit entitled to be like "hey, im good enough to be going faster on this road, so let me". if you really feel that way, speed and deal with the consequences.

Ive learned a lot of frustration is built on expectations. If we expected less from people, we wouldnt be as frustrated, therefore wouldnt make stupid decisions. I have had people honk and finger me for going 120 for a second in the left lane on deerfoot to get around someone going 90. Why would they expect me to go more than 120? The limit is 100...if they didnt expect that, they wouldnt have been mad, they wouldnt have sped off going 140+ and been in "that" mood for a bit. Thats what i think is dangerous, because then he drove like a total ass for a bit because i was clearly in his way.

This is all opinion and im totally fine discussing it, i just think we arent in a place to judge speed limits because the roads are obviously capable of handling higher speeds.

I find Alberta is a very entitled province, everyone seems to be in a rush, everyone seems to be better than you and have somewhere better to be at a better time. It drives me insane, there is no highway etiquette at all, its just people needing to get 1 more car ahead. Again, sorry for the rant, but that video gets way too in depth and him talking about it that way will get him no where. There is hardly any reasoning behind it and i find most of it contradicting and could make countless points against him as i watch it.
    I take pictures for money.

Comment

Very well done. For myself personally, I don't do crazy top speeds(often), its more about the acceleration...and if I was getting speeding tickets regularily, I'd just get a better radar detector.
      Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
      Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

I havent watched the video, and dont really care to either. I'm sure its another "speed kills" video so I wont even bother arguing this topic again. All I can say is that Germany's accident rates are not much different from Canada, yet the speeds are very different.....
        Patryk
        Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
        08 VW .:R32
        04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Originally posted by P Arkus View Post
          I havent watched the video, and dont really care to either. I'm sure its another "speed kills" video so I wont even bother arguing this topic again. All I can say is that Germany's accident rates are not much different from Canada, yet the speeds are very different.....

I thought the same Pat...but its quite the oppsite...definately worth the watch...even for you my anarchist friend
          Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Watched it this morning, well made video and I agree that it is worth watching.
            MK5 .:R32 - Aston

Comment

I'll watch it when I get home. If i'm disappointed, George owes me 15 mins of my life
              Patryk
              Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
              08 VW .:R32
              04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

im with George, top speed isnt for me either. if i do speed, its usually 10 over, maybe 20 in the odd instance (going with the speed of traffic) im never the guy that is weaving through traffic. im usually the one seeing someone weaving and speeding through traffic, and then pulling up to them at the next trafffic light..... very interesting video though. worth the watch. thanks for posting ben!

Comment

Originally posted by P Arkus View Post
                  I'll watch it when I get home. If i'm disappointed, George owes me 15 mins of my life
                  If you are completely disappointed Pat, I'll set a Wed night aside and wings are on me

Comment

I never drive over the speed limit unless I want to have some fun. People hate me when I obey the limit, and there was once a dude in a Celica honked at me...However I do wish our highways have no speed limit like the majority of the German highways, not because I want to speed, it's because people have a tendency to drive on or slightly over the limit. Under some special conditions such as snow or rain some people still drive on the limit because of that tendency and often it could cause serious collisions with the slower cars who are driving responsibly regarding to the special conditions. Also, people can drive at a higher speed which they feel safe at when there's less traffic to save some time.
                    Last edited by kujiwara; 09-11-2013, 03:51 PM.
                    Current Fleet
                    #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                    2001 Cobra #88/3786
                    1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                    2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                    2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

i don't think this video condones speeding at all. it's just simply pointing out some facts about real world driving vs. what's in the drivers handbook. it touches on that classic "cash grab" and IMO, hits it right on the head. i think it also shows us how easily we are willing to give up rights, for government control, because we think the media reporting on the "speed kills more" story, is accurate, we react and give up freedoms. i have a big problem with that.

Jim, your dog analogy is perfect. the media always sells a story and doesn't report the story. and some minority lobby group gets up in arms about it and they come across as the majority, thus stripping away more rights.

people drive what's comfortable. i doubt that if the limit was 150, people would do 170. a few might but the 85th percentile has already proved that some will, regardless of the law/limit. if traffic is speeding, you should be too. take another route if the speeds are to fast, even if everyone is speeding. otherwise you are a hazard on the road.

it takes only a couple hours in a car to get a licence here. that is the problem. not speeding. if the vehicles are in motion, speed is obviously a factor, even if no one is speeding. it's giving stupid people a licence in the first place and i think we are finally seeing the reprocussions of a privatized, "for profit", licencing system.
                      Last edited by 100%VAGitarian; 09-11-2013, 04:58 PM.
                      you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

Originally posted by 100%VAGitarian View Post
                        it takes only a couple hours in a car to get a licence here. that is the problem. not speeding. if the vehicles are in motion, speed is obviously a factor, even if no one is speeding. it's giving stupid people a licence in the first place and i think we are finally seeing the reprocussions of a privatized, "for profit", licencing system.
                        This is exactly what I was going to point out. Not to be racist or generalized but how many people have been in an accident or near accident with an Asian driver? I have heard first had they can buy a license for about $60 and a lot of them show that lack of experience on the road. I am not saying they are the only nationality that are like that but it sure seems like they are the majority. End that type of crap and make sure everyone who gets a license has to speak one of our national languages because if they get in an accident it could mean the difference between life and death then we can move onto the rest of the careless drivers on the road.
                        Just my $0.02
                        Name: Brent
                        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

im shocked with the people on the road. I never understand how some people get a license, my guy was so hard on me!
                          I take pictures for money.

Comment

Drive around in the NE for a day, you'll learn everything NOT to do while driving.
                            Kim

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall View Post
                              This is exactly what I was going to point out. Not to be racist or generalized but how many people have been in an accident or near accident with an Asian driver? I have heard first had they can buy a license for about $60 and a lot of them show that lack of experience on the road. I am not saying they are the only nationality that are like that but it sure seems like they are the majority. End that type of crap and make sure everyone who gets a license has to speak one of our national languages because if they get in an accident it could mean the difference between life and death then we can move onto the rest of the careless drivers on the road.
                              Just my $0.02
                              Lol I just came back from Home Depot and found out and Asian driver fxxxed up my front passenger side door, sooo much white paint off her Camry......quite mad but happy since I buffed it off
                              Last edited by kujiwara; 09-11-2013, 07:46 PM.
                              Current Fleet
                              #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                              2001 Cobra #88/3786
                              1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                              2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                              2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Working...
                              X