Hakka 7s - Wait? Winter Already?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hakka 7s - Wait? Winter Already?

Getting my migrating ducks in a row and am winter tire shopping! Who's had the Hakka 7s before and how bad are the studs in the dry? Worth it for the snow/ice awesomeness?
    John
    1986 Meteor Grey Metallic Squashed VW Beetle
    2011 Mineral Grey Durango R/T AWD

Re: Hakka 7s - Wait? Winter Already?

i have studs, love em. Little bit louder on the road but not that noticeable, more of a clicky noise with the windows down. Whirring on the highway. So good for hard pack and ice though.

Comment

I too have driven on them they are amazing! Other than a bit louder road noise on dry stuff they control like none other.
      -Terry
      -2014 S4
      insta:Whiney_S4

Comment

I've had studded Hakka Rs. They are unreal. I've never ridden on a better tire in the winter, and they would be my first choice for winter tires again. Runner up would be Blizzaks.
        They are pretty loud when rolling slow with the windows down, but chances are you won't have your windows down in the winter anyway.
        -Faraaz

Comment

Nothing has ever compared to the studded Hakka's I've had. Seriously amazing. Sounds like popcorn on dry roads although I had the older Hakka 5's.. Every set I've gotten has been great. Just so expensive.
          Justin
          MkVI CW GTI 4-Door 6MT | APR Stage 2 | APR RSC Exhaust | VWR Intake |H&R Street Performance

Comment

Do you guys really feel you NEED studded winters? I've never run them so I'm curious...

I just feel like, in Calgary, there's MAYBE five days in the year that I could see needing them. Most of the winter is spent driving on dry pavement.

Comment

I never had problems with my Goodyear ultra grip and esp combo.
              Current Fleet
              #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
              2001 Cobra #88/3786
              1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
              2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
              2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

I'm looking at studded winters too...for the reasons of my BT and mods this past spring, rather not be spinning the tires. I'm also in the mountains out in Kananaskis.
                Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

I've always ran studded when I was growing up in bc lots of ice build up because we never had any chinooks where I grew up, out here I switched over to studless winter cause of the chinooks, I got a great deal on a set of studded tires couple years ago and they were good but was super annoying in the late winter/ early spring when it was nice enough to crack wi dows a bit, never noticed much difference in traction. Running a set of kw21 right and have never had a problem. I will be get a set of winters for the Volvo and will get stud free ones for it also.
                  12 Volvo XC 90
                  03 Jetta1.8T
                  95 Cabrio VRT
                  90 G60 Corrado

Colleen at 403-819-0132 or colleen@brayco.ca for all your mortgage needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Lars View Post
                    I've always ran studded when I was growing up in bc lots of ice build up because we never had any chinooks where I grew up, out here I switched over to studless winter cause of the chinooks, I got a great deal on a set of studded tires couple years ago and they were good but was super annoying in the late winter/ early spring when it was nice enough to crack wi dows a bit, never noticed much difference in traction. Running a set of kw21 right and have never had a problem. I will be get a set of winters for the Volvo and will get stud free ones for it also.
                    The studded tires you had a few years ago were great for spinning the **** out of them in the work parking lot lol.
                    2004 Jetta TDI Sport-Daily
                    2002 Jetta 1.8T(stg2)-Wifey
                    1983 RabbitLS- Dirty Diesel

Comment

I have the hakk 7's on the benzo....... AWD with studded = 140km/hr on the Ring road while blizzarding outside. i wouldn't drive on anything else in the snow. The sienna has them as well. I've run Blizzaks, XIce, Pirelli, Hankook etc and NOTHING compares to the studded Nokian.

P.S: see Chad at the 32nd and 32nd NE Kal Tire and he'll hook you up. (They are exclusive to Kal)

Oh yah...... no issues running the hakk 7's on dry, they actually suck the stud into the tire a little when warm out and then push them out when cold.
                      Last edited by popp; 09-07-2013, 04:07 PM.
                      Don't Panic, I'm Hispanic

Comment

Thanks all. Im normally a hi-perf winter tire guy but I'm going to run the 911 in the snow and there's no abs, traction control or Quattro so I'm looking for all the grip I can get.
                        John
                        1986 Meteor Grey Metallic Squashed VW Beetle
                        2011 Mineral Grey Durango R/T AWD

Comment

Originally posted by Fizzo20 View Post
                          I've had studded Hakka Rs. They are unreal. I've never ridden on a better tire in the winter, and they would be my first choice for winter tires again. Runner up would be Blizzaks.
                          They are pretty loud when rolling slow with the windows down, but chances are you won't have your windows down in the winter anyway.
                          Hakka R's are studdable, unless you paid someone to drill and stud them (waist of time and money when the Hakka 7 comes pre-studded from factory.)

and as what Popp was saying, the Hakka 7 does have a gell pack under the stud so when its warm out the stud sinks into the tire a bit to prevent premature wearing of the stud, and the stud they use has a harder tungsten metal in the center than the outside, the stud wears down with the tread of the tire where as other tires that get studded in the tire shop may wear out quicker than the rubber and also they dont stay in nearly as well. Nokian's stud is similar to a porqupine quill which prevents it from falling out of the tire. Just some info for you guys.
                          Current:
                          2017 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion DSG
                          2013 VW Jetta 2.5
                          Past:
                          2005 VW JTI 1.8T
                          1993 VW Jetta 2.0
                          1996 VW GTI VR6

1991 Ford F150 4X4
                          1989 Nissan Kingcab 2WD
                          1983 Buick Skylark

Comment

Eric, how much does a set of Hakka 7's usually cost? (rough estimate)
                            Patryk
                            Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
                            08 VW .:R32
                            04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

As someone (from Winnipeg- you better believe I know snow) who has always had winter tires for the last 10 years in Calgary, studded is totally unnecessary here... regular winter tires and you're good to go, maybe 1 or 2 days a year it might be nice to have studded tires - just stay home

Just my opinon though
                              KR
                              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Working...
                              X