Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio Installation/NW

Hey guys,

I managed to pick up the exact sub and amp I had been wanting on kijiji today. I had just about given up on finding the set up used when I found it for $200, as opposed to $400+ new. It's a Pioneer 10in Slim (TS-SWX251) and an Alpine V Power (MRP M500) amplifier. Nothing fancy, I know, I just wanted a small, slim sub as I drive a small hatchback. I also didn't want to create a plethora of interior rattles so I figured a single 10 would be sufficient.

Anyways, does anyone know of a good, high quality installer in the NW area who is decently affordable? I've read that Visions in Crowfoot does good work but am unable to confirm this. Futureshop quotes about $140 for the install + hardware. I'd just do it myself but I absolutely despise working with wiring and got a good enough deal on the set up to justify a professional install. I appreciate any help!

Thanks.
    Daily: 2015 VW Jetta Trendline + (his) 2018 VW Tiguan Comfortline (hers) 2011 Volvo C30 R-Design: Orange Flame Metallic, Polestar, Milltek non-resonated exhaust, Various OEM+ accessories

Toy: 1992 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible: Talladega Red, 16in Aero wheels, 5MT.

Re: Audio Installation/NW

None of you sages have any recommendations?
    Daily: 2015 VW Jetta Trendline + (his) 2018 VW Tiguan Comfortline (hers) 2011 Volvo C30 R-Design: Orange Flame Metallic, Polestar, Milltek non-resonated exhaust, Various OEM+ accessories

Comment

The problem is NW... no idea what is up there, you are probably stuck with Visions.

The problem (IMO) with Visions and Future Shop is that you don't know who will be doing the work, could be some new kid that has never done it before. There is a lot of staff turnover and no reason for them to develop skills or pride in their work? I would rather do it myself than have that happen.

Or just head further from home to one of the private shops that only does car audio, and makes their living from word of mouth and recommendations. Then they actually have some skin in the game so to speak.
      Last edited by Kor; 07-02-2013, 08:15 AM.
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
        The problem is NW... no idea what is up there, you are probably stuck with Visions.

The problem (IMO) with Visions and Future Shop is that you don't know who will be doing the work, could be some new kid that has never done it before. There is a lot of staff turnover and no reason for them to develop skills or pride in their work? I would rather do it myself than have that happen.

Or just head further from home to one of the private shops that only does car audio, and makes their living from word of mouth and recommendations. Then they actually have some skin in the game so to speak.
        This is true. I just figured that each quadrant would have it's own good and well known installer. I suppose I'm open up to other suggestions elsewhere. It's just a simple amp and sub installation.

Comment

I work at the FutureShop in Medicine Hat. If I was closer I would hook you up for sure. Unfortunately I don't know any of the car audio guys in Calgary anymore, other than the guys over at Mobile Solutions of Calgary.
          15 GTI
          65 Beetle
          87 BMW E30

Comment

Originally posted by dwvw View Post
            I work at the FutureShop in Medicine Hat. If I was closer I would hook you up for sure. Unfortunately I don't know any of the car audio guys in Calgary anymore, other than the guys over at Mobile Solutions of Calgary.
            Medicine Hat? My hometown is Brooks! I'm in Brooks quite often, can I take you up on that offer? I'd appreciate it.

Comment

If you go to the Visions in the NW and find out if a guy named Barry works there still, and get him to install it, you're in good hands. He's done a few of my installs in the past and he does quality work. Otherwise I cant really help you out. Barry might be install manager down there now so i'm not sure if he even does installs anymore!
              Patryk
              Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
              08 VW .:R32
              04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Well if i lived in Calgary I would help yah out. I have over 14 yrs experience in the industry from installs to tech support. Good luck in your search.

Comment

Originally posted by mk2dumped View Post
                  Well if i lived in Calgary I would help yah out. I have over 14 yrs experience in the industry from installs to tech support. Good luck in your search.
                  That's funny. I bought the set up from a guy from Lethbridge. We met up in Taber. Thanks!

Comment

If you can make it here I'd be down. This for the Volvo? Stock head unit?
                    15 GTI
                    65 Beetle
                    87 BMW E30

Comment

If you can make it here I'd be down. This for the Volvo? Stock head unit?
                      I should be able to in the next few weeks. Yep, stock head unit. Do you have a price estimate? I don't have any wiring.

Comment

Do you ever plan on upgrading the amp or adding another? If not you can get away with 8 gauge on the power wire and save a couple bucks. I'll check out how much I can get the wiring for it and let you know.
                        15 GTI
                        65 Beetle
                        87 BMW E30

Comment

Do you ever plan on upgrading the amp or adding another? If not you can get away with 8 gauge on the power wire and save a couple bucks. I'll check out how much I can get the wiring for it and let you know.
                          I wouldn't be upgrading the amp at all, if anything I may add another 10 in the future, but I doubt it.

Comment

Working...
                          X