Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weather patterns that caused the flooding.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weather patterns that caused the flooding.

Found this interesting read about the weather patterns that had to line up for the heavy rain to occur. Turns out the moist air came up from the Gulf of Mexico not the pacific. Parts of the Northwest Territories saw 30 degree weather during this.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/new...uch-rain/8124/
    Bryce
    04 GTI 1.8t

Re: Weather patterns that caused the flooding.

I'm a big weather nerd, and with all the extra moisture in the air in the past years, this crazy weather/climate shifting will only continue.
    Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
    Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Ya my dads a pilot for Westjet and said he has never spent more time dodging thunderstorms. Last summer Alberta saw over 400 major thunder storms while the summer before had a little more than 200. These 1 in 100 year events are gonna become more like 1 in 10 year events.
      Bryce
      04 GTI 1.8t

Comment

I cant confirm the factuall-ness, but have heard a little that if you look back 1-200years in Calgary, this sort of flood (maybe not quite THIS big) comes up as more of a 20 year event rather than a 100 year event. Anyone else hear such things?
        Stefan
        -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
        -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

i would say its a 100 year or 75 year event for sure.

news last night said the mountains got 3months of rain in 24 hours!!!

Comment

Darn, i had mapped out the flood area in the downtown area of a 100 year flood (Which is actually probability and water amount rather than time) but i can't seem to find it right now. A 50 year flood doesn't occur every 50 years but has a higher probability of occurring than say a 100 year flood, in a year and has lower amounts of water. A 50 year flood has a 2% chance of occurring each year while a 100 year flood has a 1% chance of occurring. What i mapped out was pretty close to what actually occurred so that flood was of pretty big magnitude.

It's ironic because my professor was telling us how we are overdue for a 100 year flood and sure enough it occurred a few months later.
            Last edited by Mcrow; 06-23-2013, 05:44 PM.
            Mitch

1996 Harlequin
            2001 Toyota Highlander

Comment

When they say "100 year flood" all it means is that in a given 100 year span, there is a 1% chance of that flood occurring each year.

Comment

Working...
              X