Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Deck, Radio works but CD's/Ipod dont. Whats wrong???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Deck, Radio works but CD's/Ipod dont. Whats wrong???

Hey Guys, so I bought an Alpine deck for the BMW and installed it with Sean. I thought everything went smoothly, nothing really caused us greif. I turn it on, try the radio, everything works perfectly. All 4 speakers have sound. Then I put it on Ipod..... it searches, finds the playlist and song, and shows the time running for the song playing. But NO SOUND is coming out of any of the speakers, no matter how loud I turn it up. Exact same thing happens when I put a CD in. Anyone know what could possibly be wrong? I cant see it being a wiring problem cause I dont think the radio would work, but I could be wrong.

TIA!!!
    Patryk
    Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
    08 VW .:R32
    04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Re: New Deck, Radio works but CD's/Ipod dont. Whats wrong???

Is the radio any good? Is it new or used?
    GT3071R and more...

Comment

Deck is brand new, bought from Visions a few weeks ago. This is the model...

http://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Cate...047&sku=CDA117
      Patryk

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Assuming there isn't some mute setting that needs changed I would say talk to vissions and maybe return it if need be.
        GT3071R and more...

Comment

Blue wire = radio trigger only 12v power on radio source
          Blue/White wire = remote trigger 12v power once deck is turned on

if they are backwards or only the blue is hooked up there's your problem. oh and also if its a metra harness the trigger wire you need to turn the factory amp on is in the wrong pin. i think it need to move one up... can't quite remember.
          Last edited by bitskyline; 11-01-2011, 11:30 PM.
          Yes... it is a Front Wheel Drive... your point?

Comment

Take a look at the following. This is how it was hooked up, as per usual with any other radio that i have installed. Only the blue is hooked up, blue/white is for remote turn on of an amplifier......so it is not needed.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech.../E36-Radio.htm

Comment

the sound is fine from the radio, so why are we asking to look at remote amp turn on signals?
              check the input configurations for the sources in the head unit.
              put.......put.......

.... ... .. .

Comment

Whats wrong with the radio :P

I would try playing around with the settings. Few things I have noticed on my Alpine:

has a setting; that can put all sound through the sub, not allow the deck to play mp3, and also I had to activate the aux input.

Other than that. You may have a faulty unit
                Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Satnam View Post
                  the sound is fine from the radio, so why are we asking to look at remote amp turn on signals?
                  check the input configurations for the sources in the head unit.
                  Cuz if he is using the blue power antena wire to turn on the factory amp it will loose 12v when he switches source away from am/fm radio. Was just a suggestion.
                  Yes... it is a Front Wheel Drive... your point?

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll definitely take some time to play around with the settings in the next few days, if nothing works i'll pull the deck and double check the wiring but i'm still positive everything was hooked up right. Car doesnt have a factory amp so I dont think thats the case, but still a good point.
                    Patryk

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Originally posted by bitskyline View Post
                      Cuz if he is using the blue power antena wire to turn on the factory amp it will loose 12v when he switches source away from am/fm radio. Was just a suggestion.
                      I see where you are coming from now but i believe that the amperage draws are different for the different devices so i don't think it would work in any case. Maybe we just need to read the deck manual?

Comment

Originally posted by bitskyline View Post
                        yes, you're right, because the remote turn on is the blue wire with a white stripe and labelled.
                        put.......put.......

.... ... .. .

Comment

Well guys the blue wire with the white stripe is not connected to anything, we did not wire anything up for an amplifier in the back. The blue power antenna is connected to the blue power antenna wire on the stock harness....so thats not the case that i got the backwards

Comment

I installed the same radio in my brothers z3 a while back, same issue... Listen to bitskyline and hook up the wires correctly. That immediately fixed the SAME problem I initially had.
                            Last edited by p951; 11-11-2011, 09:05 AM.
                            1990 Porsche 951
                            2013 Audi S4 6MT

Comment

A multimeter will solve this argument.
                              Name: Brent
                              His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                              Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                              Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Working...
                              X