Ice Racing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Racing?

Hi. Does anyone know of any ice racing around here? I don't think I want to enter my daily driver into a bumper to bumper race but I would love me some rally-cross, timed run deally on a frozen lake. Opposite lock!
    John
    1986 Meteor Grey Metallic Squashed VW Beetle
    2011 Mineral Grey Durango R/T AWD

Re: Ice Racing?

Sort of. not a lake but..

http://cscc.ab.ca/cms/index.php?opti...id=62&Itemid=1
    John

Comment

hehe, yea the last time I was at that one it was completely dry and just a gravel race, neat event, but unless you don't give a damn about your car's paint/body I wouldn't do it, that gravel does a hell of a number on the paint. and unfortunately it won't compare at all to ice racing.

Seems to be a number of ice motocross races in alberta but I can't find any vehicle ice racing. Problem is, you need a decent sized lake (non flowing too I would bet) in an area that is cold enough for long enough to give a good thick ice layer. To be honest I don't think there are any lakes near calgary I would trust driving on.

Comment

Originally posted by J-hop View Post
        hehe, yea the last time I was at that one it was completely dry and just a gravel race, neat event, but unless you don't give a damn about your car's paint/body I wouldn't do it, that gravel does a hell of a number on the paint. and unfortunately it won't compare at all to ice racing.

Seems to be a number of ice motocross races in alberta but I can't find any vehicle ice racing. Problem is, you need a decent sized lake (non flowing too I would bet) in an area that is cold enough for long enough to give a good thick ice layer. To be honest I don't think there are any lakes near calgary I would trust driving on.
        Thats too bad Im not too into spraying gravel. There is some lake racing around Edmonton but it is wheel to wheel.. Not really into trading paint either..
        Last edited by JPO; 12-12-2010, 10:55 AM.
        John

Comment

There's a pond I drive by all the time that some guys seem to plow a track every year. I don't remember seeing cars on it though, just dirt bikes. Looks like it's more of a "few guys getting together" more than an organized event.
          Jay

Comment

Something like this:

John

Comment

yea that would be a lot of fun. Probably the closes thing to that is Windermere haha. They plow a road across the lake from one of the boat launches in windermere tothe town center in invermere. So you can basically go anywhere on the lake pretty easily.

Only problem with windermere is the lake flows so you get Ice heaves that can be buried by snow drifts.

Comment

Working...
              X