Election Day In Calgary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Election Day In Calgary

Just wanted to remind everyone to get out and vote today as this is one of the most important and exciting elections this city has seen. I urge you to read up on the candidates for Mayor, Alderman and Trustee's in your ward to make an informed decision.

General election info can be found here, if you need help finding your polling station.

www.calgary.ca/election
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Re: Election Day In Calgary

Everyone get out and do your part, I've got to wait until after work but I'll be there bright eyed.

Music to permeate your soul …
    Jayson
    MKIV Jetta GLS VR6 -PARTING OUT-

What's Next?

Comment

And remember when voting who has been the number one supporter of keeping our race track (McIver)

but also heard recently that the Calgary Motorsport Assoc contact Higgins people and they where for extending the lease until 2025.
      2020 Toyota Corolla Hatch (At least its a Manual!)
      2001 Audi S4 (Trunk still smells like Ryan?)
      2001 Audi A4 - RIP
      2004 Mygale SJ04 - Racecar
      2013 Toyota Sienna - Baby Transporter
      2001.5 Audi S4 -SOLD
      1986 Reynard SF86 -SOLD
      2003 Jetta GLI - Garbage bin

Comment

Defo go out and vote...(cos I can't). If you don't vote, you can't complain...
        Current: 2002 Zonda CRV
        2004 VW MK4 1.8T GTI
        2001 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (European)

Comment

Originally posted by RSS View Post
          And remember when voting who has been the number one supporter of keeping our race track (McIver)

but also heard recently that the Calgary Motorsport Assoc contact Higgins people and they where for extending the lease until 2025.
          McIver has said he will back it, but refuses indefinitely to give it in writing.
          Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
          2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by RSS View Post

and remember higgins will make sure no one craps in your cornflakes either

Comment

Originally posted by Eurotuner. View Post
              McIver has said he will back it, but refuses indefinitely to give it in writing.
              can you blame him? he cant guarantee anything. at the end of the day its the aldermen that will vote on the fate of race city. he can say he's in favor of it but if the alderman dont support it wont go through
              Team Highschool
              Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

so what does everyone think of the outcome?

I have seen people infatuated with nenshi being our new mayor but they can't explain why

than there are people agaist him. people who had him as a prof and MRU (well MRC at the time) that believe he is full of himself and he did it to prove a point.

I think his "policies" are redundant myself

Comment

Personally I feel Nenshi was the best candidate and ran the best campaign so I am happy with his victory. I am not sure why some people are scared to have an educated person running the show over a former butcher or reporter, but that is just me.

I understand a lot of people are not found of him as a teacher, but thinking back to my school days, how many teachers did I actually like, and if he is just considered arrogant I think that is a fairly common quality in politicians and McIver seemed to act like it was his birth right to be Mayor.

I think he put forth a lot of policies and strategies that will benefit this city, if he can convince the rest of the council to move forward too, but overall I think it is a great change and a great direction to be heading in.
                  Blair
                  Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Interesting outcome. I do think that a lot of people voted for Nenshi to show that they really wanted a change in this city so they wanted someone young and new. His platform was not that different then anyone else and I think there where no real dirty issues discussed by anyone. Either way he better bring a big first aid kit as bandaids are not going to fix this cities problems and he may not have enough experience to fix the mass amount of problems.
                    That being said a huge **** you to whoever planed where you vote. Instead of walking out my door to the building I can see as soon as I step out to vote, I had to go for a drive. This is only after standing in line at said building, the one I have always voted at, and finding out I had to go somewhere else. Waste of my time and gas, so very green.
                    Name: Brent
                    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I was glad to see Nenshi win. Although I don't agree with all his policies, I agree with the way he ran his campaign - and wasn't simply willing to throw money at any and all forms of advertising he could get funding for.

I never had Nenshi as a prof, but he did come speak to our MBA class 2 years ago at the UofC, and he came across as an intelligent and critical thinker - someone who looks beyond the plain obvious. I think having someone with a solid education and a critical eye will really benefit this city moving forward.... but I guess it all remains to be seen.
                      Sidewalks are for normal walkin.... aint no room for fancy walkin....

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall View Post
                        That being said a huge **** you to whoever planed where you vote. Instead of walking out my door to the building I can see as soon as I step out to vote, I had to go for a drive. This is only after standing in line at said building, the one I have always voted at, and finding out I had to go somewhere else. Waste of my time and gas, so very green.
                        heh.. I was going to call you about that, but it was nearly 8 already, so I figured you had probably already been to the wrong place...
                        I don't know why they did that.
                        Last edited by stefan; 10-19-2010, 03:47 PM.
                        Stefan
                        -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                        -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

i liken it to the obama effect. people want change so bad because they despise the current administration so much, that they are willing to go to the other end of the spectrum, regardless of where that really leaves them.

time will only tell whether or not people made the right choice. he's got a lot of work ahead of him. $60million or whatever it is deficit, some MAJOR infrastructure decisions that need to be made shortly, and a city that will tear him apart if he continues to raise taxes.

that and a motorsport community that will blockade him in his house if he closes RCMPL
                          Team Highschool
                          Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

yea end of the day i'm so glad bronco is done i want to murder that idiot

Comment

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post
                              that and a motorsport community that will blockade him in his house if he closes RCMPL

I sure hope people aren't dumb enough to do something like that, we might as well all go to wal-mart and buy nascar shirts and pitchforks and show up at his door. Seriously I wouldn't be surprised if Race city is forced to close, the motorsport community whines and complains but hasn't take any action towards keeping it open (that i've seen at least), other than a useless online petition and approaching aldermen which in the end doesn't mean anything if you don't have public awareness. The "motorsport community" in calgary is so small (likely less than 1% of calgary's population), so it takes a lot more than a petition to make ones voice heard, no alderman wants to stick their neck out for a group so small that no one really gives a damn about
                              Last edited by J-hop; 10-19-2010, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X