Home theatre/electronics question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home theatre/electronics question

Can anyone tell me if I'll lose significant if any sound quality if I solder two runs of cable together? I salvaged the wire from my old house but the new place needs a little longer runs. Rather than buy 250ft of cable for 5 50ft runs that I need, I was going to splice together some of the wire I already have and just buy what I need to make up the difference. If I'm just being cheap and the sound won't be as good I'll just go buy enough to do it all without joining smaller pieces together.
    Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
    hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
    sigpic

Re: Home theatre/electronics question

As long as they are the same gage, it'll be ok!
    Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
    Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

An audiophile will tell you no, but most of them can't tell the difference between a speaker wires with a coat hanger and one with kimber cable. From my point a view a properly soldered wire will make no difference or you will likely never hear the difference. I extend wires all the time with high speed signals.
      Last edited by Stonewall; 09-27-2010, 08:54 PM.
      Name: Brent
      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Damn, 50 foot runs? I hope your wire is big or your speakers are small lol
        2015 Audi RS7, Sepang Blue, Carbon Optic Package, Performance Package, Driver Assistant Plus Package, Black Alcantara Headliner
        2015 Audi A3, Glut Orange, 2.0 TFSI Technik, S Line Package - Wife's
        2006 Audi S4, Sprint Blue Pearl, 6 Speed Manual Transmission, Navigation - SOLD

Comment

I'm assuming that the 50ft is for surround speakers...that being said, low power and not being run full range...solder won't affect the distance.
          Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
          Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

50 feet is nothing. don't listen to keyboard experts.
            D.J.
            Turbo SVT Focus
            Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

The wire is 10G CL2 rated. The front towers are bi-amplified so 2 runs to each of the front speakers, and a fifth one for the center channel. The rear surrounds (only doing 5.1 until I swap out to in ceiling speakers) are fairly short runs. The reason for all this is that my home theatre PC and the amp are in a separate room from the home theatre to prevent any fan noise as well as minimizing the visible parts. TV mounted on wall and speakers with wall plates just behind each speaker so no wires are visible and other than that and a FM remote on the coffee table, the system is all hidden out of site.
              Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
              hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Silverstoned View Post
                The wire is 10G CL2 rated. The front towers are bi-amplified so 2 runs to each of the front speakers, and a fifth one for the center channel. The rear surrounds (only doing 5.1 until I swap out to in ceiling speakers) are fairly short runs. The reason for all this is that my home theatre PC and the amp are in a separate room from the home theatre to prevent any fan noise as well as minimizing the visible parts. TV mounted on wall and speakers with wall plates just behind each speaker so no wires are visible and other than that and a FM remote on the coffee table, the system is all hidden out of site.
                I would have said 14 was sufficient. 10 is HUGE lol.

20 = Fire hazard
                18 = Crap
                16 = Good for most
                14 = Good for longer runs, maybe up to 80 ft
                12 = If your rich
                10 = Well, never heard of anyone using 10 in the house

I just ran 14 because it's not much more then 16 price wise, it's CL2 also. Speakers are only 130W, 10 foot runs though.

Sounds like a similar set-up. I use the PS3 as the media server though so no need for a PC connection.

Wall mount FTW!

Sounds like I should of hid my crap too, a little messy in the open and the PS3 is a bit loud. The stand has a decent wire hiding system though.
                Last edited by Joker; 09-28-2010, 06:19 PM.
                2015 Audi RS7, Sepang Blue, Carbon Optic Package, Performance Package, Driver Assistant Plus Package, Black Alcantara Headliner
                2015 Audi A3, Glut Orange, 2.0 TFSI Technik, S Line Package - Wife's
                2006 Audi S4, Sprint Blue Pearl, 6 Speed Manual Transmission, Navigation - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                X