Garage wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage wiring

I'm starting on the garage wiring and plan to put in a sub panel. I've got different people telling me different things.

I was planning to just run a #6 from my main panel to my sub panel and put in a 60 amp service with 12 circuits.

However, I was told a good way to do it is to run a "#2 concentric" wiring and install a ground plate off the sub panel. This allows you to run up to 100amp service.

Now, I've had friends do it the traditional way so I can get help, but I'm not sure what kind of wire and plate I'll need to go the other way. I also don't know how deep to bury it.

I know there are a few electricians here and I would love to pay someone to do it unfortunately the budget doesn't allow so i'm stuck doing it myself.

Any input would be appreciated.
    Jay

Re: Garage wiring

18" deep trench, and electrical wire needs to be in some sort of conduit. I'm going to be doing mine too, but might have to wait until spring as I have too many other things on the go.

Good luck!
    Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
    hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
    sigpic

Comment

Sorry, Jeff's post reminded me I forgot some info.

The Wiring from the house panel to the sub panel will be going through the house as the garage is attached.

I was told you can just run this #2 2 wire from the panel to the sub and then have a separate ground from the sub to a plate I would bury behind the garage. Maybe the same 18" still applies. I was told you can use bare copper or shielded for the ground.
      Jay

Comment

You do not need a seperate ground plate for your garage unless you plan on housing livestock in there. As long as you run a 3 conductor wire with a gound you are good for 240 volts and grounding and bonding.

If you want to run 100 amps with a #2 Awg you could but thats totally overkill in my opinion.

60 amps should be more than enough. #6 awg is good for 65 amps so you are good there.

Here is a good pdf from the city of calgary website that has some pictures and rules about the garage wiring, the garage drawing is on pg 11.

http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/...ring_guide.pdf

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me.

Comment

Thanks I've been looking for a good guideline.

The reasoning for the extra ground plate and running the bigger wire was partly due to the 45 feet from the panel to garage, I thought I could get away with wire that is easier to work with.

I think 60 is probably ok too, I was just talking to a full time electrician that is used to wiring acreages and that was how he was doing it (in northern AB).

My garage is a bit bigger than what some newer houses are getting so things like Mig welder, standup air compressor and likely a car lift are in my future at some point so I want to make sure I'm going to have it set up right.
          Last edited by Tuna; 09-11-2010, 01:21 PM.
          Jay

Comment

Another dumb question. I'm starting to think about panel size and the panel I would like would be at least 12 circuits, it seems as though you have to go to a 100A or 125A rated panel to get bigger (at least for what they stock), is this a big deal? For example I found a 125A panel with 16 circuits which would be fine. It's also cheaper than an 8 or 20 circuit 60A panel.
            Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Tuna View Post
              Another dumb question. I'm starting to think about panel size and the panel I would like would be at least 12 circuits, it seems as though you have to go to a 100A or 125A rated panel to get bigger (at least for what they stock), is this a big deal? For example I found a 125A panel with 16 circuits which would be fine. It's also cheaper than an 8 or 20 circuit 60A panel.
              You could buy a siemens panel and use the skinny double breakers. Its turns an 8 space panel into a 16 and a 16 into a 32 etc..

Other than going to a wholesaler like Eecol or Westburne I find Home Depot has the best selection. The bigger stores like Shannesy,Chinook and Country Hills (or any of the others that have a Harvey's in them) have the best selection.

#6 should still be more than enough for you unless you plan on welding while using your lift while running a bunch of heaters and compressers all at the same time...etc.

If you look at the panel in your house you will probably have 20 or so 15A circuts, a 40a for your stove and a 30A for your dryer. This would all be off a 100A service. Add them up its way over 100A. Have you ever blown the main 100A? You get my point?

I am a Journeyman electrician in case you were wondering.

Just ask if you have any more questions.

Comment

When I did my last garage I picked up a panel that came with all the breakers preloaded....seemed like an easy way to go.
                2004 VW Jetta TDI Sport

Comment

Well, ended up going with 6/3 to the garage panel and I'll put a 60Amp breaker in the main panel. Got all my outlets run (bunch of 15A and 2 20A plugs), still have lights to do.

I want to install a plug for a future welder, and I'm on the fence. It won't be too far from the panel, but wondering if I should go with 30A or 40A?

I'm leaning towards 40 but not sure if that's overkill. I may have enough 6/3 left over for a short run so maybe I'll go to 40 just because I can.
                  Jay

Comment

Working...
                  X