Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: About to start a resto...need some info

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post

Check out the coolant overflow tank...hahaha. I want to replace with a gatorade bottle

Looks like a fun project!

If you want something a little more unique for your overflow, my son can fab them for you. Here is what he did for my windshield washer tank.

Radiator overflow and a few others are also being planned for my '02. Let me know, and I can give you his contact information.
    Attached Files

Comment

how much?
      that would be SICK for a oil catch can application as well.
      Team Highschool
      Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

thanks colin.

we likely dont need any custom metal work, as we are keeping the original body, and any panels that are too bad off to be beaten out will just be replaced....beauty of old british cars is you literally can bolt on and off panels.
        how is the body btw, I keep looking at this thread and am absolutely amazed at the lack of rust, floor pans look 100% solid. who owned the car previously??

Comment

Originally posted by VintageBMW View Post
          Looks like a fun project!

If you want something a little more unique for your overflow, my son can fab them for you. Here is what he did for my windshield washer tank.

Radiator overflow and a few others are also being planned for my '02. Let me know, and I can give you his contact information.
          Wow, they look really good in there. Shoot me his contact info as well in case I need anything custom made
          Tunerworks Performance Inc.
          Please email sales@tunerworks.com for pricing
          .: TUNERWORKSTORQUE .:. Blog .:. Facebook .:. FlickeFlu .:. Flickr .:. YouTube .:. Kijiji Clearance :.
          STaSIS / Eurojet / GIAC / HRE / Modulare / BBS / WORK / RENNTech / TechArt / Brabus / Akrapovic / AWE / Fabspeed / Milltek / Hotchkis / MEC Design / KW Suspension / Novitec / Kahn Design / QuickSilver / RSC / StopTech / Brembo / AP Racing / Vorsteiner & more!

Comment

i got some weird numbers.
            the thing has a bloody mechanical fuel pump, so unlike a VW i cant just pull the fuse and have the fuel cut out. So cause i was pulling the fuel tank anyway, i just yanked that out so there was NO way the engine was going to get fuel.

I did one compression test with the tank in, it did 130 across the board.

i then did one again after the tank was out, and it was WAY lower across the board, at 110. I dont know the reason for this, and im slightly concerned.

with fuel in the cylinder, the compression will be higher because the liquid settles on the rings and assists in sealing. of course, under engine combustion this doesn't happen.

compression ratios of an engine doesn't mean that the compression of the cylinder will be the same. there are many reasons why. the size of valves, number of valves, intake obstructions, throttle body, stroke, cam valve timing and overlap, etc.

compression tests are never to compare numbers from one engine to another. you merely compare the difference between the highest and lowest values.

if 3 cylinders are creating 130 psi, and the fourth is 100. then your fault is in #4.

the next step is to pour a cap of oil down the plug hole and run a compress test again. if the compression goes up, then the failure is in the rings or pison. if the compression stays the same, then it's valve train.

a leak down test will give you similar results, but with more accurate readings.

the point is, if you're know something is wrong... the head is coming off anyway so who cares about wasting the time on a leakdown test.

if #4 is greater then 20% difference of the other cylinders, then rebuild the motor.

a motor rebuild on that will be fun and easy. single over head cam and such a low compression ratio, you can't screw anything up
            D.J.
            Turbo SVT Focus
            Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

how much?
              that would be SICK for a oil catch can application as well.
              Originally posted by AllGo'n'Show View Post
              Wow, they look really good in there. Shoot me his contact info as well in case I need anything custom made
              Hey RONDAL and Jay, I sent you both a pm with his contact information.

If anyone else is interested, send me a pm and I can send you the info as well.

Here is a link with a sampling of some more of his work.

Thanks,
              Don

http://www.projecttechnik.com/forum/...php?f=2&t=3359

Comment

More progress pics
                Started yesterday at 2pm undoing the drivetrain only to find out you cant undo the transmission mount without removing the entire wood transmission tunnel. Such a pain in the ass.
                Once that was undone, and the mount undone, it was time to come out.

I have never had the displeasure of pulling an engine on a car without a removable front clip. Now hindsight this would be a breeze on a lift, having the engine come down and the car go up, but it just wasn't possible in our garage.
                So....after like an hour of jacking, moving ****, more jacking, lowering the car, raising the rear end, it finally came out.

Now this scares me....

Team Highschool
                Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Working...
                X