depth for deck pillars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: depth for deck pillars?

well i'll go by hand/shovel as far as i can now.. won't be doing anything over the weekend anyways..

deck is 12' at the house and 16' long so odd rectangle but blame teh builder for the size of my ledger board.. oh well..

Comment

I live 5 mins from you, you can come and see my fence and deck the previous owner built 5 years ago and how he has had to move the gate latches and hinges 7 times so his dogs wouldn't get out.

Rent the mini excavator.

Erik
      Last edited by Parts Erik; 07-29-2010, 01:55 PM.
      Service Manager
      Audi Royal Oak

403-374-5018
      erikk@royaloakaudi.com

Comment

Originally posted by cdnalpina View Post
        I have a deck and fence construction company
        If only I knew that before I started building my own fence
        Name: Brent
        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

These threads affirm my choice for living in a downtown condo
          Blair
          Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

haha erik ya i'll come visit and grab a beer next week man

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo View Post
              These threads affirm my choice for living in a downtown condo
              Yep Mission for the win!

& reading about the 75/90 minute highriverokotomereirdrie mid winter commute, makes me right smug.
              Cam

2004 VW R32 Turbo

Comment

My deck is 16' x 24'. I used 8 footings 4" deep with tripple 2"x8" beams. This deck is really solid.

Here are a couple of pics,

Comment

nice guy! i'd say mine is about as tall as yours looks in that pic

i have double 2x8 beams and the joists are all 2x8s also

went out and looked at some of the holes today after they had time to dry.. i'll dig them out more by hand next week.. the one with the giant rock isn't going any deeper.. the rock is HUGE under it.. oh well... haha

Comment

I have the clay grief too and when I built the extension to my deck I could only get down about 32-40 inches (IIRC) using hand tools etc. In hindsight I should have rented or had someone bore the holes as one side of the deck extension (the side with the most shallow holes) is heaving upward.

It isn't too bad now; about 2-3 mm, but it has been creeping up every year since I built it. Sinking posts you can shim but heaving ones may require some creative chainsaw work.

Comment

well i did some work tonight/yesterday..
                      sprayed the holes and dug/bashed with a shovel last night and filled them up with water

today most of the water drained and then i went at it again and probably got another 8" or more down on 5/6 of them! so thats not too shabby.. they are probably close to 4' now as its hard as hell to reach down with a shovel to remove the muddy clay/rocks

the one hole i got a bit down with the HUGE rock.. well i sprayed with the hose all around the edge and realized its 2 big rocks.. but i was able to get the one out of the hole so i sprayed some more and will try again tomorrow
                      not sure if i want to rent the auger again just to drill 1 hole down a few feet more i'll probably just hand dig the POS and go from there
                      fun times

Comment

Sounds like you're having a blast Ryan!
                        --
                        Rod
                        Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
                        2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                          well i did some work tonight/yesterday..
                          sprayed the holes and dug/bashed with a shovel last night and filled them up with water

today most of the water drained and then i went at it again and probably got another 8" or more down on 5/6 of them! so thats not too shabby.. they are probably close to 4' now as its hard as hell to reach down with a shovel to remove the muddy clay/rocks

the one hole i got a bit down with the HUGE rock.. well i sprayed with the hose all around the edge and realized its 2 big rocks.. but i was able to get the one out of the hole so i sprayed some more and will try again tomorrow
                          not sure if i want to rent the auger again just to drill 1 hole down a few feet more i'll probably just hand dig the POS and go from there
                          fun times

I might sound strange but to get the little rocks and debris out from the bottom of the holes i just used my shop vac with the long extension. It worked like a charm. I had to empty the vac a few times but it very quick.

Comment

hrmm i may try that one hhaha..

i'm in a ball tourney all weekend so no work for me :(

today i dug them a bit deeper and measured a few.. then sprayed water in all of them again about 8" deep or so and i'll let it soften it all up

going to concrete them up probably tuesday night pending the weather of course..

right now oddly once the water is in there i have a grass cutter to cut out flower bed shapes,etc..
                            the blade is exactly 8" wide or the same as the sonotubes.. but you can put it in and start basically twisting it like a blender blade and it actually works the rocks/clay up pretty good! then i remove as much as i can with a shovel and the rest i pull out by hand and get dirty.. some of the works i have to pull out by hand too.. oh well fun times..

Comment

I just made a scoop out of a old washer fluid jug, it works awesome.
                              Name: Brent
                              His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                              Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                              Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Working...
                              X