Central Air Conditioning - Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central Air Conditioning - Home

Two weeks into the new house and we are looking at getting A/C installed. We have a good plumbing company (they did our gas lines for BBQ / stove) and they have given us prices on two units.

Carrier or Goodman.

Does anybody have any direct experience with these units? Recommendation?

Thanks!
    Jeff

2017 Sportwagen
    2016 .:R (sold)
    2013 Golf TDI Wolfsburg (sold)
    2001.5 Audi S4 (sold)

Re: Central Air Conditioning - Home

you want to spend the 2-5k for something you'll use for 1-2 weeks a year??

its not worth it here IMO.. save your money buy a ceiling fan for your bedroom at night and your fine

Comment

Ya, we do. Why have the bedroom as the only "comfortable" room in the house? Again, not really lookingfir opinions on the value of a/c as much as in the brands.
      Jeff

2017 Sportwagen
      2001.5 Audi S4 (sold)

Comment

can't help with a choice, but i can help install. i'm a journeyman electrician let me know
        dan

Comment

Carrier is well recognized. Trane is another one to consider. Avoid Lennox at all costs since they won't sell parts to individuals.

Comment

I've also looked at Trane and Carrier as that's what the couple companies have quoted. Based on the size of the house I need a 3.5 ton. My friend/neighbor has a Lennox and after 2 years he needs to get it worked on as it sounds aweful when it's running.

I would have no issues buying a Carrier but don't have direct experience.

As for justification, I still struggle with the cost vs. how often you use it but I have a bunch of really big windows so even with blackout shades and thick blinds it's not uncommon for my main floor to get to 28 when it's hot outside, the upstairs can be more.
            Jay

Comment

yea true jason.. on HOT days

main floor 26-28
              upstairs frig probably 32
              basement 15 LOL

we'd love to put one in but we can't justify the cost/use either.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                you want to spend the 2-5k for something you'll use for 1-2 weeks a year??

its not worth it here IMO.. save your money buy a ceiling fan for your bedroom at night and your fine
                def not true, I have a rough time sleeping when its hot (used to have my window open every night until it started to freeze open in the winter), parents had A/C installed and its been amazing, no more waking up in the middle of the night sweating, or having a fan blowing on you all night. We also run an electrostatic particle filter and I swear i've never breathed cleaner air. We usually run the unit for about a total of 4 months a year and as long as you don't crank it down i don't think you'll notice a drastic change in your electricity bill.

as for brand I believe we run a Lennox, we have had some trouble with it, the coolant was leaking out somewhere, they finally fixed it about 6 months ago and we haven't had problems since.
                Last edited by J-hop; 07-18-2010, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Yah the monthly cost to run the thing is pretty hefty as well, but there's some new HE units that only consume as much as 3 lightbulbs.

We've had a window unit in the bedroom and never really been uncomfortable in Calgary. Couple fans and some shorts in the living room =
                  Geoff
                  Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Ours came with the house and it's the only reason we bought the house......

Haha, but seriously, worth it! Our bill is about the same as our heating bills if we use it lots. And ryan......we use it a **** ton more the 1-2 weeks a year. It's probably on from june-sept.......and if your wife is/gets pregnant during the summer months, she will love you even more then she does now for having it........
                    Last edited by popp; 07-18-2010, 09:16 PM.
                    Don't Panic, I'm Hispanic

Comment

I have a Carrier in my home and haven't had a single problem with it at all in the 2 years since it was installed. My advice is go with them.
                      Lay down with the Devil your gonna wind up in hell
                      http://vinylsolutions.ca/

Comment

Well, we decided to go with the Goodman unit. It gets installed on Friday, so I should have some comments on it by the end of summer.
                        Jeff

2017 Sportwagen
                        2001.5 Audi S4 (sold)

Comment

I was going to add another plus for Carrier, but I guess I am too late, as my Dad has had a unit for 25+ years without hardly an issue at his place. Once you get used to AC you will never be able to go back!
                          Blair
                          Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

I have had Goodman Units in my last 2 houses, the oldest is 7 years old in our rental house. We bought them off the suppplier and had them installed by my father in law who is an electrical contractor.

I cant really compare, but them have both been solid units and dont have any complaints. Carrier has more brand recognition, but our Goodman units have been fine.

As for AC in Calgary, for us it is a must have. Living in new neighbourhoods you are pretty packed in and I like to sleep with my windows closed. It seems in the summer there is at least one neighbour somewhere that is outside talking or having a BBQ late at night. My wife is a light sleeper, which inturn makes me a light sleeper.

We also have allergies so when we sleep with all the windows open we all wake up snotting like a bulls at the Stampede.

Finally, it is a safety issue. You can lock up the house all day and not have to worry about people coming in through the open window while you are away.

I will never have another house without AC. As for the cost, it is not that much that i notice it too much on my bills and it is offset by the fact that I can sleep at night.

Andrew
                            www.livingcolours.ca - This bugs for you

“A man who says he does not let the little things bother him has never spent a night in a tent with a single mosquito” - Unknown

Comment

Here's the truth, they are all made in one of 3 factories, use the same make and models of compressors and fans. What is different is the manu warranty and the colour of the case. I am not biased toward any make, but York/haier have made some interesting changes to the fan shrouding which allows them to run extremely quiet.

PS, I am an HVAC tech, it's kinda what I do
                              I may appear to be nice, but don't be fooled, I probably don't like you

Comment

Working...
                              X