Nhl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nhl

well as a Flames season ticket holder I wish I could say the Flames are in a better position but Sutter seems to be drunk dialing old flames I hate to say it but I think the Leafs may have made some good moves today and will be a much better club next season. I was hoping we would sign Colby Armstrong.
    2001.5 Audi S4

Originally posted by James
    My engine may be a solid 4 liters smaller than yours, but i have a HUGE penis

Re: Nhl

My buddies are speculating that Sutter brought Olie and Tanguay back as trade fodder...for what or who I'm not so sure...maybe the Flames need another bag of pucks and a case of Gatorade.

Oh well...
    "You know, I never noticed how many Silver Audis there were out there until you bought one..."
    My Dear Wife - April, 2010

Comment

**** OLLI JOKINEN.

I watch a lot of hockey. A lot. Jokinen doesn't fit in Calgary, he's more of a.. play soft competition guy, with a couple of no names. Calgary wants him to go against the big boys on the other teams, and he flounders the whole time. Not sure why the **** Sutter resigned him. Tanguay, sure take a chance, but Jokinen? No.

I'm now a Phoenix fan.
      Jess

2010 Jetta TDI 6 SPD - Stock Comfortline model

Comment

If my wife had her way, we'd be building air miles to catch games in Chicago...something about young guys, I dunno...
        I love live hockey, my daughter passed off a lot of her Hitmen tickets to me last year and I really enjoyed the games. We may still keep our Flames seats this year, but I'd rather invest in a team that I appreciate...my appreciation level for the Flames has taken a pretty serious hit the last couple of season.
        I enjoyed watching Tanguay play in Calgary, he's got a ton of skill but resigned himself to being a set up man instead of a playmaker, that may just have been Keenan tho. Olie? What can I say...the man is a cement-head plumber...
        "You know, I never noticed how many Silver Audis there were out there until you bought one..."
        My Dear Wife - April, 2010

Comment

I am still trying to make sense of these deals but after seeing Nystrom go for $1.4Mill I feel better about both Tanguay and Jokinen coming back to Calgary. I know Tanguay and Keenan did not get along and when you look back at the numbers Tanguay put up in 2006 to 2008 he could still add some much needed scoring to the Flames. Jokinen is still a hard one to figure out but at $3.0/yr if he can return to his 2008-2009 number he could be a great addition to the team. It was said that Iginla had a part in getting both of these players back in Calgary so who knows. That being said if this team does not get the job done it will be time to blow the team up and start getting draft picks and young talent back into the club.

And when you go through the list and see what other center men were signed at today it puts it into a little better perspective

Cullen, Matt - $3.5M - 16 Goals
          Malhotra, Manny - $2.5M - 14 Goals
          Koivu, Saku - $2.5M - 19 Goals
          Jokinen, Olli C - $3M - 15 Goals
          2001.5 Audi S4

Comment

But we won't blow it up. We will keep trying to find a match for Iggy until he retires. Such a joke. Tie cap space up for no goals.

A buddy and I were wondering the other day, if bonuses fall under the cap? For instance, could I pay a player minimally then just use big incentives based upon goals? Or would the league just take the maximum the player could make?

Comment

i love it.

go canucks
              Team Highschool
              Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

"Each year of an NHL player contract, the salary earned contributes to the team's "cap hit". The basic cap hit of a contract for each year it is effective is the total money a player will earn in regular salary over the life of the contract divided by the number of years it is effective. This, in theory, prevents a team from paying a player different amounts each year in order to load his cap hit in years in which the team has more cap room. Teams still use this practice, however, for other reasons. Performance bonuses also count towards the cap, but there is a percentage a team is allowed to go over the cap in order to pay bonuses. A team must still factor in possible bonus payments, however, which could go over that percentage."

Good Podcast with Iginla

http://flames.nhl.com/club/podcastpl...d=35&iid=23719

i love it.

go canucks
                Will be interesting to see if the Sedin's can put up the number they did last year. The Hamhuis pick up looks like a great move. See what Luongo can do... the guy is making $10mill this year...
                Last edited by Russell; 07-02-2010, 12:16 AM.
                2001.5 Audi S4

Comment

they have also changed the salary rules so that you cant have deals like luongo got anymore.

what they were doing was giving guys 15 year contracts knowing they wont play 15 years, and effectively lowering the cap hit.
                  I wanna pay you $100million, if i say you'll play for 100 years your cap hit used to only be $1million
                  Team Highschool
                  Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post
                    i love it.

go canucks
                    Canuks will be a good team, they made some good moves this summer so far.

Now that the painful part is out the way, what most fans don't understand is that not only were tanguay and jokinen a "package deal" as Sutter has said, the Flames got them for the price they should be at (Sutter also said this). Both players had an off year, if they bounce back which I think they will, what a steal. They no longer have to deal with the pressure of being paid huge sums of money, and expected to perform up to their pay grade.

Now more than ever, is a time for redemption for both of these players, and now that Jokinen (Who is a shooter) and Iginla (Who can do both but likes to shoot) have a Playmaker (Tanguay) I see some good production on the top line.

The media in this city is ridiculous when it comes to the flames, first calling for Iginla to be traded, now saying Daryl has gone looney. They are good moves and no one should say anything until the newly aquired players have had a chance to prove themselves.
                    Last edited by calgarydub; 07-04-2010, 10:51 AM.

Comment

lol @ the flames!

GO OILERS GO

The oilers are building something special here!

Although, The Northwest division is easily Vancouvers this year
                      Art || Tornado Red Jetta GLI

Comment

I am so pumped on the Oil this year. They are actually doing something. Getting some hype, getting some decent players. Starting to show some sort of plan.

I can't stand people who call for GM's resignations and whatnot. When was the last time you were an NHL GM? Right! you never have been.

As a flames fan, I hope the Oil win the Cup. Maybe it will put some fire into the so called 'flames'.

Comment

I actually dont mind the Jokinen signing at 3Mill... if he gets his typical 50+ points its a bargain. What I dont like is how the whole situation was handled from start to finish... the Kotalik thing is the obvious turd in the room! It was a stupid trade, and luckily Sutter was able to make up for it. (Granted that Kotalik goes to Russia etc)

The other main thing that pissed me off is that Ken King had a press conference and made it sound like they were going after a big name.. and would be using the bonus cap room to get everyone in. Tanguay and Jokinen was not what I had in mind.. although I do feel that the Flames arent done.. 8 Defensemen on one ways.. and a few young guys that could easily step up.

JRP: I dont think the Hawks will be anything special this year... they are a shell of their former team. Since they went over the cap with their bonus last year, they are handicapped by ~4.5 million this year! (Can only spend 55mill as opposed to others at 59) As it stands they have 4 mill to spend on something like 7 players. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by R-Audi View Post
                            I actually dont mind the Jokinen signing at 3Mill... if he gets his typical 50+ points its a bargain. What I dont like is how the whole situation was handled from start to finish... the Kotalik thing is the obvious turd in the room! It was a stupid trade, and luckily Sutter was able to make up for it. (Granted that Kotalik goes to Russia etc)
                            I agree, once the smoke clears and you take a good look at his point production at $3Million he could turn out to be a great deal. And given the fact that the UFA market was not that great this year I think we did just fine in picking him up. The real issue is that we are now left with Kotalik... which really means we traded Prust for Kotalik as NY lost Jokinen and we lost Higgens. Not sure I would take that trade if you offered it to me last season. That all being said I don't think Prust is the missing piece of the puzzle for the Flames either but at $0.8Mill it’s a much nicer contract.
                            Last edited by Canadian Turbo; 07-07-2010, 01:19 PM.
                            2001.5 Audi S4

Comment

Working...
                            X