Camera recommendation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera recommendation.

Hi. So after trying to get some action shots at my daughters bday party I finally got sick of blurry point and shoot pics. So I guess I am in the market for an slr camera. There seems to be a fair amount of camera savvy people on this site so i was hoping for some recommendations. I am not expecting to get all arty or at all serious about photoraphy. But I need a camera that is quick, can capture crazy fast little rug rats doing rug ratty stuff, has good pic quality for the money and is easy to use. I wouldn't like to spend tones of $$ but undestand there is no free lunch. Let me know what you think!
    Last edited by JPO; 05-08-2010, 09:07 PM.
    John
    1986 Meteor Grey Metallic Squashed VW Beetle
    2011 Mineral Grey Durango R/T AWD

Re: Camera recommendation.

Originally posted by JPO View Post
    Hi. So after trying to get some action shots at my daughters bday party I finally got sick of blurry point and shoot pics. So I guess I am in the market for an slr camera. There seems to be a fair amount of camera savvy people on this site so i was hoping for some recommendations. I am not expecting to get all arty or at all serious about photoraphy. But I need a camera that is quick, can capture crazy fast little rug rats doing rug ratty stuff, has good pic quality for the money and is easy to use. I wouldn't like to spend tones of $$ but undestand there is no free lunch. Let me know what you think!
    Honestly you can get a point and shoot camera that will do all that. Maybe you just had one that wasn't so good? I think SLR is overkill for things like that.
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I don't know what the current entry Nikon is, but I got my camera pretty much for the same reason. I picked up a D40, which was entry at the time, and I got the SB-400 flash to go with. The bigger flash was nice for indoor kid pics. It was worth it I think. You can tilt the flash too and bounce it off the roof which makes for some nice indoor pics, and it will flash multiple times without having to wait to charge.

Fast shots need light. So in shopping, you either want to look for a lens with a low f-stop, or get a flash if a lot of your shots are indoors. When you subject is close to you, like a kid, the flash works well (and if you get the flash I got, its a lot cheaper than the fancy lens). If you are shooting where subject is out of the range of the flash, then you need to look for the 'faster' low f-stop lenses. They have a larger aperture and will let more light in. For example, indoor sports are tough because subject is often out of range of the flash, so you have to rely on a better lens to get you your light.

In the mean time, make sure you disable the red-eye flash on your point and shoot. Most useless thing ever if taking pics of kids. You miss the damn shot every time. Make sure it is using the standard flash that doesn't blink 10 times before the shot. Force the flash on too if you can. I've seen a few point and shoots that don't always use the flash when they should, and everything blurs for indoor shots.
      Stefan
      -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
      -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
      -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
      -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
        Honestly you can get a point and shoot camera that will do all that. Maybe you just had one that wasn't so good? I think SLR is overkill for things like that.
        Perhaps, but I have tried a few pretty well rated point and shooters and to be honest I have found it really tough to get a good clear pic of the kids doing stuff. I tried a friends slr today and was way happier with the outcome.
        Last edited by JPO; 05-08-2010, 09:17 PM.
        John

Comment

Hey,

I just got a Rebel T1i a couple months back , and like it! Great small slr, with good quality. Comes with an 18-55 lens, hopefully ill be able to upgrade mine at some point.

Comment

there's having the right equipment, and then theres knowing how to use your equipment.

what point and shoot are you using?

sometimes its just a matter of knowing what you are doing with the camera.
            if your camera has adjustable ISO ratings, crank it up to like 400 or 800 and see if it solves the problem
            if your camera has adjustable f-stop then use the lowest number possible (note: as you decrease your f-stop (aperture) your depth of field will drop so you need to focus on the right thing)
            pick a high shutter speed.

now all of these things are quickly and easily adjusted on an SLR, but some P+S's have them too.

problem is, if you dont know how to use your SLR and you just leave it on auto mode, you're going to have the same crappy result as you do now when the camera doesn't know what you want. knowing how to use your equipment, and what you need to change to achieve the result is key.
            Team Highschool
            Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the tips and info so far. I do know how to change the settings on the camera we have and do so according to the situation. So let's asume I actually do want an slr. The Canon mentioned above looks like a good idea . Any others?

Any thoughts on this?

http://www.vistek.ca/store/DigitalSL...r-dx-lens.aspx
              John

Comment

Look at the Canon PowerShot G10 14.7 Megapixels. I have seen some great pictures taken on that little bad boy.

Comment

either the entry level canon or the entry level nikon will both be fine.

people will sit and debate the two of them til the cows come home, but at the end of the day they are both entry level dSLR's and both will get the job done. They also both have the full canon or nikon lens family available to them for when you want to start upgrading.
                  you will learn very quickly that the camera body is the cheapest part of photography. the lenses are the expensive part. and both nikon and canon have top quality glass.

what it all comes down to, is what feels best in your hands. what menu's you understand how to use, and which camera you enjoy to hold

if you dont like the feel or the menu's or the button layout, you wont use the camera.
                  personally my hands are a little big and the entry level canons felt too small. so i went nikon. but YOU need to go to the store and see which one you are most comfortable with
                  Team Highschool

Comment

Thanks everyone.
                    John

Comment

Got a Canon t2i. Haven't had much time to play yet but it seems pretty nice.
                      John

Comment

wow that was quick.

nice purchase

here's a tip; go to chapters/indigo and go find the book "understanding exposure" by bryan peterson.

trust me. Its the best investment you can possibly make with your new camera. it will teach you how to actually use the settings and understand what each do.
                        this should be a mandatory requirement when you buy a SLR. it should jsut be built into the price and come with the camera its that important
                        Last edited by RONDAL; 05-09-2010, 04:38 PM.
                        Team Highschool

Comment

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post
                          wow that was quick.

nice purchase

here's a tip; go to chapters/indigo and go find the book "understanding exposure" by bryan peterson.

trust me. Its the best investment you can possibly make with your new camera. it will teach you how to actually use the settings and understand what each do.
                          this should be a mandatory requirement when you buy a SLR. it should jsut be built into the price and come with the camera its that important
                          Sweet. Thanks again everyone for the advice. I have been playing around with the camera for just a little while and even in the basic settings the pics are WAY better and It is WAY more fun than my old pos.
                          John

Comment

Consider one of the new four thirds cameras? Possibly more friendly for family photos. SLR type lenses and quality. If you are starting from scratch with no legacy gear and lenses, you could do well IMO.

Edit: Nevermind I guess this thread is dead
                            Last edited by Kor; 05-09-2010, 10:42 PM.
                            KR
                            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Working...
                            X