Recommend me a new Receiver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me a new Receiver?

I'm gonna get a PS3 and my current receiver doesn't do HDMI.

So I need something that can handle 6.1 and upconverts.

For power I only have 100W polk bookshelves (r20s front r15s rear) and an infinity center.

I'd like at least 3 HDMI inputs on the back and 1 on the front.

I need a stereo/headphone sized input on the front for blackberry/laptop. I can run a long male/male from the back if this is the only thing missing.

I bought a Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K for work and it's great except the remote is horrible and no front HDMI.

Just seeing if someone knows of anything better before I jump. Cost isn't a huge issue assuming it has the goods.

I have a homemade shelving system which has good vent but it's a ***** to get at the back of the unit, hence liking the front connectors for if someone brings over an Xbox or something.

Thx!
    Geoff
    Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Re: Recommend me a new Receiver?

Really depends on your budget though right? Each brand has different units at different price ranges.

Any idea how much you want to spend?
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Well the Pioneer was 450 and that's pretty much the lowest I'd go as I must have upconvert/convert to hdmi - the cheaper units didn't do it.

So say under 700 unless there's some killer benefit?

I'm also thinking I can live without the front HDMI if there's more inputs on the rear. I can use a spare cable and just have it coiled under the unit and use it if I need. I do that with my audio as it is. There's not many units with a front hdmi yet.
      Geoff

Comment

I'd look at something from Denon, Onkyo or even Marantz. You used to be able to get Marantz at A&B sound but I guess thats no good anymore. Denon AVR-1910 should be in your price range for sure.

Pioneer Elite is also pretty good in my experience.

I don't know much about HK or Yamaha.

Sorry thats the best I can offer; I'd probably end up with the Denon.
        KR
        Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Why do you need the upconvert?

The PS3 upconverts everything you feed it to 1080p, and it does a fantastic job. I'm using the PS3 for all my video sources, DVD, Bluray, streaming from the computer(s) as well as playing audio from my itunes library.

I've gone direct HDMI from the PS3 to the 50" plasma and I have no complaints. I run the audio from the PS3 to my receiver via TOSlink to get the 5.1/6.1. The only thing I can't do is 7.1 because I need the HDMI for that, but that's OK since I don't have a 8.1 system and don't plan on getting one anytime soon.
          1990 Porsche 951
          2013 Audi S4 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
            I don't know much about HK or Yamaha.
            I'd say the HK and Yamaha at Futureshop and such stores are nothing special, but if you go to their higher end units, they are decent.

I have an Yamaha RX-V 1600. I'd say their RX-V line is pretty good. Maybe a step below Denon or Onkyo, from things I've read, but may have more features/connections in the same price range. Overall, I've been pretty happy with mine, but I haven't had much else to compare it too.
            Stefan
            -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
            -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
            -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Originally posted by p951 View Post
              Why do you need the upconvert?

The PS3 upconverts everything you feed it to 1080p, and it does a fantastic job. I'm using the PS3 for all my video sources, DVD, Bluray, streaming from the computer(s) as well as playing audio from my itunes library.

I've gone direct HDMI from the PS3 to the 50" plasma and I have no complaints. I run the audio from the PS3 to my receiver via TOSlink to get the 5.1/6.1. The only thing I can't do is 7.1 because I need the HDMI for that, but that's OK since I don't have a 8.1 system and don't plan on getting one anytime soon.
              Yah I've been reading a bit more and chances are assuming I ditch the PS2 and the old Xbox (buying a used PS3 60G with the ps2 compat) then I don't really need a great upconvert. I have a 1080i rear projector TV.

The only device I can see adding would be a Wii and that looks fine on 480p over component.

Right now my short list is the Pioneer 1019AH-K and the Onkyo 607. The 707 is nice but at 900 bucks I think it's overkill for my little setup. I'd be better putting the money towards new speakers down the road.
              Geoff

Comment

look at a harman kardon AVR3600
                Team Highschool
                Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

i have a HK and am very happy with it
                  Eric..

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something you don't!

Comment

I have a pioneer elite and its a fantastic unit , but as most things the more you spend the more goodies you get
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X