Plugging in...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plugging in...

How many of you guys and girls plug your blocks in the winter? I got a '01 A6 2.7T without a block heater, and I'm wondering do I really need a heater source for the oil or the block...since Im moving over to the West.

Any insight would be helpful.
    -Stefan- '02 S6 Atlas Grey

'01 A6 2.7T MT --- Sold
    '95 GTI 2.slo --- Sold

Need Radio Removal Keys, VAG-Com? PM Me

Re: Plugging in...

I think some of it is personal preference now.

I've had a....

81 VW Scirocco
    91 VW Corrado
    96 VW Golf
    92 Mercury Topaz
    99 GMC Sierra
    06 Volvo V50

...to name a few since I've been in Calgary that I never plugged in and were parked outside, I think only the Scirocco had a block heater actually.
    Jay

Comment

IMO if your leaving a 2.7T outside past -20 you should plug it in to be safe with the lil turbos and oil

buy and oil pan heater and your set.. i always hated starting my S4 in the cold.. especially when you have to let it sit for 10-15 to warm up otherwise i'd start driving and youd hear the turbos get mad at you until temps were up.. oil pan heater.. start and go pretty much

Comment

Haven't got a block heater in my car at all. I had one issue once two years ago prior to getting a new battery when it was almost -35ºC, and I had parked nose first into the wind. Other than that never any issues.

Music to permeate your soul …
        Jayson
        MKIV Jetta GLS VR6 -PARTING OUT-

What's Next?

Comment

No plug in either and parked outside. I make sure to let her warm up before driving
          drive green ||
          2003 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T - ex old fun car
          2011 Mercedes Benz B200 Turbo - daily getter

Comment

Get a blockheater prevents premature engine wear and less wear and tear on your starter.

Comment

i plug in around -10 - -15 or so out of habit. In most cases, the car will start anyway, but makes the engine happier.
              Stefan
              -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
              -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
              -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

That's what I figured. I had my car here in -20 weather and as previously stated the turbos were howling, and it sounded like a John Deere Tractor.

Im not worried anymore, I just came back from the shop. New oil and a freshly installed oil pan heater...I'm ready for the trek West.
                -Stefan- '02 S6 Atlas Grey

'01 A6 2.7T MT --- Sold
                '95 GTI 2.slo --- Sold

Need Radio Removal Keys, VAG-Com? PM Me

Comment

Working...
                X