| Migration | Alberta vs. British Columbia |

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• | Migration | Alberta vs. British Columbia |

Just like my upcoming Wedding in 2011, I like planning things way in advance.
    Lana & I have been thinking that it is probably time...
    I want to remain in Canada but somewhere warmer.
    If it were not for the stupid Health Care System down South, I would have considered California (one of the places that pays Nurses the highest), Florida, Hawaii, or Seattle.
    Perhaps in the near future (2-3 yrs.)

BillyJoelR is made in the Philippine Islands.
    I moved to Canada back in 1998.
    I have been in Calgary all my Filipino-Canadian life.

One of the most exciting part of the move was to experience snow.
    I actually thought that snow was some sort of a styrofoam derivative.
    I never heared of minus degrees Celcius weather.

Can anybody help us decide?
    Can someone put some insight to the dilemma (lifestyle, cost of living, taxes, gov't, jobs, etc.)?
    Perhaps a list of PROs & CONs?
    | There is no replacement for Displacement | Go Big or Go Home |

Re: | Migration | Alberta vs. British Columbia |

I wouldn't move to Cali, they can't even pay back taxes to people who get a refund.
    Name: Brent
    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I am going through the process of police recruiting now, and have chosen to go with the RCMP because of the relocation factor, and having a strong chance of being posted to "E Division" which is British Columbia. I love the warm summers and Mild winters. I hate calgary's weather to the point where I know I cant live here my whole life, we get maybe two weeks of nice weather in the summer and our winters are a dive.
      not to mention BC has some of the most gorgeous landscapes in Canada.

As for cost of living? well that all depents on where in BC you are, places like Vancouver are pretty pricey while smaller places like Vernon for example arent that bad. But you also have to look at where you will find emloyment.
      Last edited by D-BOMB; 12-30-2009, 08:04 PM.
      "If it has tits or wheels it will give you trouble"

-97 Golf
      -91 GTI

Comment

D-BOMB...
        Thanks.
        Indeed. It depends on where I can find employment.
        As a Nurse, I am confident that I shouldn't have any problems finding a job.
        Warm Summers & Mild Winters are just what hooks me.

Keep 'em coming fellas.

Comment

Kelowna has the largest hospital in the Okanagan valley as well.
          Last edited by D-BOMB; 12-30-2009, 09:03 PM.

-97 Golf
          -91 GTI

Comment

The chances of attaining a nursing job in Kelowna are slim-to-none. A Nurse coworker of mine just moved out there 2 months ago...no job yet.

On this topic, I'm a few days away from migrating from Toronto to .....get this....Edmonton.
            -Stefan- '02 S6 Atlas Grey

'01 A6 2.7T MT --- Sold
            '95 GTI 2.slo --- Sold

Need Radio Removal Keys, VAG-Com? PM Me

Comment

Originally posted by stef2.7t View Post
              The chances of attaining a nursing job in Kelowna are slim-to-none. A Nurse coworker of mine just moved out there 2 months ago...no job yet.

On this topic, I'm a few days away from migrating from Toronto to .....get this....Edmonton.
              If it is Alberta you are moving to...
              Move to Calgary.
              Unless ofcourse you are moving to Edmonton because of a job opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by stef2.7t View Post
                I did the move from Toronto to Calgary 7 years ago now and don't regret it in any way.
                Heads up though, the drivers think way different out so watch yourself as the other is not going to do what you think. Also pedestrians think they are invincable out here and just start walking across crosswalks on busy streets thinking you can read their mind.

In terms of the bc move. Everything I have heard says the cost of living is more, but of course the weather is nicer. Also have to get your cars checked for emmisions every so often.
                In terms of work, well once the olympics are over we will have to see how it goes. moving out their right now you will pay a premium as everything is priced higher because of all the olympics $$ right now.
                Ben
                2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
                2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
                Her's
                2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

Originally posted by BillyJoelR View Post
                  If it is Alberta you are moving to...
                  Move to Calgary.
                  Unless ofcourse you are moving to Edmonton because of a job opportunity.
                  Yes I totally agree with the Calgary comment, I'm going to be in Edmonton Temporarily. I'm going to try and attain a job in Calgary through my time in Edmonton. Cross your fingers for me

But to contribute to the OP, I would look just outside of Vancouver. From what I hear they have got a great inter-city transit system, So you could move quite a bit out west of VanCity and still come into work relatively easily.
                  Last edited by stef2.7t; 12-30-2009, 10:24 PM. Reason: add
                  -Stefan- '02 S6 Atlas Grey

'01 A6 2.7T MT --- Sold
                  '95 GTI 2.slo --- Sold

Need Radio Removal Keys, VAG-Com? PM Me

Comment

I am considering the ff: Victoria, Vancouver, or Nanaimo.

Comment

I grew up in Kelowna, you don't want to move there. The traffic is horrible every time I go back, the new bridge has helped a bit but it is still bad. The cost of living there has also gone through the roof. If you are going RCMP you are likely to get stuck in Prince George just because you don't like the cold
                      Name: Brent
                      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

haha, I was told if you request E div you'll get it almost for sure. But expect to get Surry, North Van or Richmond...but hey first posting is only 3 years haha

-97 Golf
                        -91 GTI

Comment

i was born in alberta , raised in bc .5 ab .5 married a bc girl , i will tell you this the kids in bc are f'd up so if you plan on having the kids stay away form coastal bc ,this cold is only cold if you are outside man , I havent even noticed the cold after i got a nice big garage , alberta ftw , and besides hockey sucks out there lol . go oil
                          sigpic

Comment

what is your skillset (+spouse/significant other) and what sectors are you looking at.

I'm originally from Vancouver, now living and working in Calgary, so i can comment on both.

Given the choice i'd be living in van (where i sit right now) but its expensive, cost of living is more than van, and jobs pay less and are harder to find
                            Team Highschool
                            Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

There really isn't anywhere in Canada that IMO has a nice enough climate change to justify a move. Sucks across the board.
                              KR
                              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Working...
                              X