X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet: Telus or Shaw?

Looking to get an internet provider.

Telus or Shaw.

I'm thinking Shaw, but I have free basic cable, and don't want to pay for it. I figure if they come and hook up internet, they'll put the Kaibosh on it.

Or I can go with Telus. But they seem to suck.
    Last edited by GTI CANADIAN; 10-16-2009, 02:31 PM.

Re: Internet: Telus or Shaw?

honestly, i know a pile of people who hate telus, but I've had really good luck with them. I considered shaw when I moved to my new place because the house still had cable from the last people when I moved in, but I got such a runaround that I gave up on them. Telus was much quicker to get me up and running at the time.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

We have Shaw at the office and it is amazing, very little downtime and killer quick. I also have it at home and it is not nearly as fast, but in a large building could be stretched a bit thin.

My sister had Shaw and then switched to Telus with one of those free laptop promos and cannot wait for the contract to be up and switch back, they say it is way less reliable then Shaw.
      Blair
      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

I had Shaw with the last roommates. I figure I'll go with them again....unless someone objects!

Comment

Been Shaw lover for all my life (not long but quite a few years with them), I will never change and will be using their new 100mbps service very soon.

Very happy with service/speed/reliability. Telus blows a fat one, we use them here at the office and they suck balls! Always offline and tech problems.
          Tunerworks Performance Inc.
          Please email sales@tunerworks.com for pricing
          .: TUNERWORKSTORQUE .:. Blog .:. Facebook .:. FlickeFlu .:. Flickr .:. YouTube .:. Kijiji Clearance :.
          STaSIS / Eurojet / GIAC / HRE / Modulare / BBS / WORK / RENNTech / TechArt / Brabus / Akrapovic / AWE / Fabspeed / Milltek / Hotchkis / MEC Design / KW Suspension / Novitec / Kahn Design / QuickSilver / RSC / StopTech / Brembo / AP Racing / Vorsteiner & more!

Comment

w/ telus i've had maybe 3 days where there was downtime in 3.5 years. Once because lighting zapped my router, and the other time lighting zapped a local piece of hardware in my area. Not too bad I figure.
            Stefan
            -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
            -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
            -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Sounds like you're in their (Telus) good books. haha. My family had shaw to start with, moved and switched to telus, and immediately switched back to shaw. Telus was a nightmare for the short time we had it and the service was brutal. Moved out and stuck with shaw. Got no complaints and service is always great!
              Patryk
              Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
              08 VW .:R32
              04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

I'm also with Telus as shaw doesn't service my area. Been very happy, I can only recall it being down once for an hour or so when I first got it (and it was a new area). I had shaw before and it didn't seem any faster but I didn't have their updgraded service at the time.
                Jay

Comment

Had Telus year ago, both for business and at home. Hated them both times, had TeraGo for business as well up until a month ago …*switched to Shaw server package at the office upload and download are in parity.

At home I've got Shaw as well, in the new house I'll have Shaw again. Nothing but good things to say about them, except their HDTV feeds have a very high level of compression at times.

Music to permeate your soul …
                  Jayson
                  MKIV Jetta GLS VR6 -PARTING OUT-

What's Next?

Comment

I have had Shaw, Telus, and at the office a number of services...

Telus is worse but they are both terrible. Its like choosing a cell phone provider. They all screw you. Shaw has a better offering right now, better bandwidth better reliability better price.

If you can get any kind of home fiber that is going to be way better though. In some areas Telus does it and I think Enmax does as well?

PS Terrago sucks.
                    KR
                    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

for home shaw easily

Comment

shaw

Comment

Teksavvy is a decent choice if you're a heavier user, and aren't planning on getting cable or internet, the 200 gb download caps and solid service make them very tempting.

Telus is what I'd had for years, but recently they have been pretty harsh on bandwidth caps, they are also very bad about net neutrality. They have been sending on takedown warning notices which at this point they have no legal right or requirement to do. I've been pretty fed up with them, and have moved services.

Shaw however seems to be one of the biggest Canadian advocates of net neutrality, and have been very good in my recent dealings with them.
                          Nick
                          There are only two infinites, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
                          --Albert Einstein

Comment

i heard from someone that if you have shaw internet, they cant stop the signal from providing basic cable somehow, so you can get basic cable for free.

not entirely sure on that though

Pat

His
                            1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
                            1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                            1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
                            2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
                            Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

We have Telus, we had the previous router zapped 3 times by lightning, each time it took them 2 days to come out and give us a new one. If we could get a different provider, we would, but the country is very slim in competition.
                              Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                              2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Working...
                              X