Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera Lens Q's

Hi all,

I have a D40 and currently only an 18-55mm kit lens.

I'd like to get another lens.

I am looking into a Nikon 18-200mm, but I am not sure if there are alternatives that can save me some money while still giving me high quality lens and of course great pictures.

I have been doing some research on some alternatives, and I could use some suggestions.

First of all I have been looking for a used Nikon 18-200mm to save on a few dollars. Not much luck, an ad on kijiji for a 2 year old lens for $575. I rather have one thats not so old.

Second, a lower priced lens, the Sigma 18-200mm. I have read mixed reviews on this one. It is a lot cheaper with different abilities (like being slower) and photo results than the Nikon 18-200mm, which most people seem to get over the Sigma.

Third option is to go with a Nikon 55-200mm lens which is cheaper than the 18-200, but then I would have the burden of carrying 2 lenses around all the time, which is not ideal if I am on the go, or want to travel light.

Fourth option if it comes to it, go for the Nikon 18-200mm lens.

Keep in mind I am going for the most value, not trying to be cheap, but would like to save money where I can, and still get by while taking great pictures.

If it at all helps to know what I like to take pictures of, I am most interested in architecture. A little nature like sunsets or landscapes. Occasionally I like to take portraits and pictures of my car no doubt.

So guys/girls, can you help me make an informed decision?

Do I go for the Nikon 18-200mm used, or new? Is there a significant enough difference between Nikon 18-200 and Sigma 18-200 to warrant a couple hundred extra for the Nikon? Do I start out slowly and carry 2 lenses (the nikon 18-55mm and 55-200mm) or are there other choices I have not yet considered?

I should also consider resale value, quality of components, and durability, practicality etc.

Thanks I really appreciate the help!

-Paul
    Last edited by calgarydub; 08-23-2009, 12:32 PM.

Re: Camera Lens Q's

the f-stops on the sigma/tamron 18-200 are higher. you can't open the aperture as much. you may limit yourself a bit for motion and low light.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

There's a reason why the SLR guys don't just have 1 lens that works for all situations. If that's the goal then why not a great point and shoot?

I am most interested in architecture. A little nature like sunsets or landscapes. Occasionally I like to take portraits and pictures of my car no doubt.
      So why not start with a great wide angle lens (I don't know nikon but 17-40 or something in that range).
      Geoff
      Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Nikon is releasing a second version as the 18-200mm VR II, go that route and you'll be happy for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by TDI DUB View Post
          Nikon is releasing a second version as the 18-200mm VR II, go that route and you'll be happy for a long time.
          For twice as much with slightly more features. The 18-200 is pretty bulky.

Get the 55-200, I was in the same situation and I've been more than satisfied with it.

Comment

my wife bought me a 18-200 for my anniversary yesterday i frikin love it
            sigpic

Comment

its a great walk around lens but the lack of f-stop in the longer range gets annoying for some stuff
              Team Highschool
              Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Working...
              X