Car insurance and Age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car insurance and Age

Every time I visited AMA and dealt with any of their car insurance reps, I was always told that when I turn 25 the insurance rates would start decreasing.

Before I call them (AMA), I'm curious to see if anyone here has gone through something like this, once turned 25, and how much did that help (if at all) with the rates?

Also, my g/f who's on the same policy with me, she had a minor accident (fender bender) two years ago. Because of that they jacked up our rates and told us that they'd hold that against her (us) for 5years. This is completely f***ed up. Is this normal?

Some background info:
    I've been driving since 15 (so for the past 10yrs).
    -One accident (5years ago), was not at fault; some redneck farmer backed into me, at a parking lot, cause he was in his monster truck and didn't see me.
    - I've got 1 speeding ticket that is still on my record; expiring March/2010.
    - Other than things mentioned above (and few minor parking/tinted windows tickets), my record is clean.

My girlfriend:
    - Has less than 3years of driving experience.
    - Has been involved in only 1 minor accident (fender bender) - as mentioned above. I believe the claim was for $1300 (cost to replace a bumper).

Re: Car insurance and Age

shop around.. try RBC

when i turned 25 my rates dropped some.. dropped a very nil amount once married

RBC told me tickets are on file for 3 years and accidents for 7!

Comment

Yea, that's what I'm planning on doing. Now that I'm done with school, I have a bit more free time to deal with all of that.

I appreciate your input. Thanks Ryan!

Comment

5 years is normal for an accident screwing up insurance I think. Some places do a bit more. It's probably more of a hit if you are under 25.

the change @ 25 years old is significant.
        Stefan
        -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
        -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Originally posted by stefan View Post
          I hope so. I've been getting mixed answers from AMA. I should probably ask to speak with a supervisor, so I can get a definitive answer.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol Pete View Post

Also, my g/f who's on the same policy with me, she had a minor accident (fender bender) two years ago. Because of that they jacked up our rates and told us that they'd hold that against her (us) for 5years. This is completely f***ed up. Is this normal?
            The answer to this is yes! they can do that...
            Now...I don't know why you with AMA try RBC man...wayyyy better rates, after 25 yes its a big diff from what i've heard but i think you need to wait until your insurance renews and accidents are held for 7 yr and tickets for 3 from what i've heard.

Comment

Originally posted by stefan View Post
              It is as long as your car isn't more than 15 years old .. or atleast that was the BS that AMA told me when I turned 25 and my insurance only dropped $300 (I have no speeding tickets or accidents).. if I had a newer car then it would have dropped almost $1200... so yes .. it's a big drop if you're car is of a proper age. I think I'm going to shop around for a new insurance company.
              Waterfest 08 Video: http://www.vimeo.com/2881467
              My BMW / VW / AUDI Video Channel: http://vimeo.com/channels/dasauto

Comment

I just turned 25 and got a whopping $35 off my insurance. That's with a squeaky record - no tickets or accidents.

Comment

Remember come Nov1 2009, Insurance rates will be lowering 5%
                  http://alberta.ca/home/NewsFrame.cfm...1EDB11A01.html

Comment

My policy renewed March 1st/09. My 25th birthday was March 6th/09. AMA told me that because I was only 24 at the time of policy renewal I was stuck with those rates until 2010, when i was 5 days away from 26.

Long story short, i told them to pound sand and went to allstate where my house insurance is... My rates (full coverage, leased truck) went down quite significantly (25%)
                    REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                    -james

Comment

I'm 24 now, and my insurance is quite low. I'll be amazed if the 25 year milestone makes a significant difference on my insurance. I still hope it will tho haha
                      Patryk
                      Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
                      08 VW .:R32
                      04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Just want to thank you for all the great input/advice. I'll be shopping around for sure, and I've heard a lot of positive comments about RBC, so they'll be the first ones I visit.

Comment

Working...
                        X