E46 M3 vs B5 S4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E46 M3 vs B5 S4

Ok guys I need some opinions here preferably backed by some hard evidence. pretty much for almost the last 10 years my dream car has been an E46 M3. But the more I learn about cars, the more i'm drooling over the B5 S4 (especially that TIAL 650). Basically my question is what is more worth it?

This is the way I see it:

BMW: 2 door coupe, slick design, more powerful engine (but its NA)

Audi: 4 Door AWD, turbocharged so easy to upgrade, cheaper to buy, heard is a PITA on maintenance.

What are some opinions on both cars? both pros and cons are great. If there's anything I need to watch out for with either car, let me know! TIA!!!
    Patryk
    Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
    08 VW .:R32
    04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Re: E46 M3 vs B5 S4

both can be pita on maintenance

the b5 s4 is only a pita on maintenace if you treat it like crap or the previous owner did.. then you have to fix thier mistakes

i've had mine for almost 5 years now and nothing crazy has ever happened

not 1 coil pack issue
    2 axles replaced
    1 wheel bearing
    1 EGT sensor
    1 coolant tank

thats it!

Comment

The only reason you don't have any troubles is because you are not stage III come join the club and we will see how you feel about maintenance.

Yes i am still bitter about my S4 repairs.
      2020 Toyota Corolla Hatch (At least its a Manual!)
      2001 Audi S4 (Trunk still smells like Ryan?)
      2001 Audi A4 - RIP
      2004 Mygale SJ04 - Racecar
      2013 Toyota Sienna - Baby Transporter
      2001.5 Audi S4 -SOLD
      1986 Reynard SF86 -SOLD
      2003 Jetta GLI - Garbage bin

Comment

plus i drive like a puss

Comment

Originally posted by Euro Dub PL View Post
          Ok guys I need some opinions here preferably backed by some hard evidence. pretty much for almost the last 10 years my dream car has been an E46 M3
          Dream car for almost 10 years?? I think the E46 M3 was only produced from 2000 until 2006.

If you are serious about buying either car, I would suggest that you take both for a test drive (preferably on the same day). We all have different driving styles and driving taste. Only you can decide which one is more to your liking as I'm sure both cars drive very differently.

I would also suggest that you be honest with yourself in regards to how much you want to moddify either car. Its easy for all of us to say that we are going to buy BT kits or superchargers, but is realistically in your budget? Do you really see yourself spending 5-10G's and up on engine mods?

Also ask yourself what you plan to do with the car. Quartermile? Track? Looks? Daily driver?

Hopefully this helps a bit. Best of luck with the search.
          Tint sucks

Comment

If you want to mod for power and you don't have 15-20G's to drop at one time (for a turbo of supercharger) then I would stay away from the E46 ... however if you aren't planning on any crazy engine mods I would go for the M3. It's a fantastic looking car .. the straight six in it is so smooth ..it handles awesome. and realistically it's a pretty fast car to start with .. if I could suggest anything it would be to try and find one that is 2003.5+ .. when I was looking I was told by all the M3 guys that the pre 2003.5 cars had Vanos problems and most of them are out of warranty now so if your vanos goes then you're going to have to pay for your own new engine. Also the smg tranny is cool .. but again if it blows they are way more expensive than replacing the 6MT. I was originally looking at getting into one of these after I sold my lexus .. but at the time I didn't want to go into debt .. so I bought my e30 M3 instead.. in the next couple of years I think I'll be looking for a e46 M3 again.
            Waterfest 08 Video: http://www.vimeo.com/2881467
            My BMW / VW / AUDI Video Channel: http://vimeo.com/channels/dasauto

Comment

M3 for sure, no contest.

B5 S4 is a project car and everyone thinks their project will be amazing but maybe only 1 in 10 people end up happy.

M3 will put a smile on your face for sure, amazing car that has stood the test of time already, its almost legendary.
              KR
              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Some great points here. Thanks guys. Keep em comin!!! Anybody know some good starter upgrades for an E46? For instance what will get me a bit more power but wont break the bank?
                Patryk

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Originally posted by Euro Dub PL View Post
                  Some great points here. Thanks guys. Keep em comin!!! Anybody know some good starter upgrades for an E46? For instance what will get me a bit more power but wont break the bank?
                  Well you could save up 6 - 9K for a Supercharger which IMO is not really much more than what you would pay all in for upgrading a B5.

Otherwise from what I know of the E46 you can get about 10% power over stock with Exhaust and Software. Not fantastic at all, probably not worth it if you ask me. Stay stock and enjoy the ride, it already has 330+ hp.
                  KR
                  Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

While I love the looks of an E46 M3.. I find the power.. well rather bland! Granted I am used to a stage 3 S4...

If you are planning on doing any upgrades, the B5 platform is way easier to modify. A simple chip and exhaust makes the S4 as quick if not quicker then the M3. (Even more so at out altitude) If it were me... I would look at bringing a car that has been well maintained, and already modified from the states. You can get a Stage 3 for slightly more then what you would pay for a stock car here. (doing all your homework of course)
                    Once I get my car back on Monday, I'd be more then happy to take you for a spin. I have well equipped K04 car.

Comment

This is an audi guy with massive bias to the rings ........ get an e46 from 03 up . six speed and dont touch it . mabey put on an exaust but just leave it alone . these cars you are looking at are nightmares if repairs are required, but the s4s are very delicate in the care needed to retain reliability that previous owners usually neglect like warm up time for the turbos and cool down time for the turbos . you will be tempted to heavily modify the s4 but like lots of people will tell you if they could go back and do it again they would not do it ,so stock for stock power the m3 is a better choice . get a decent m3 and leave it alone but like the dude said early cars have issues in the vanos system so get a 03 up . or grab a v8 s4 they seem fairly reliable as well as afordable and decent power . quattro is nice as well . so basically i would look at the m3 or a b6 s4 v8
                      Last edited by turbomeyers; 08-17-2009, 09:30 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the opinions guys. I'm definately gonna have to take an M3 for a test drive sometime soon.

R-Audi, will you be meeting at deerfoot mall on sunday morning for Euroquake?
                        Patryk

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Seriously how much does it cost for someone who is not going to do it all themselves to get a Stage III on a stock B5? ITs gotta be over 5k in parts and labor. You could put a Supercharger on the M3 for just a lil' more than that and it will be super reliable.
                          KR
                          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
                            Seriously how much does it cost for someone who is not going to do it all themselves to get a Stage III on a stock B5? ITs gotta be over 5k in parts and labor. You could put a Supercharger on the M3 for just a lil' more than that and it will be super reliable.

If you put ~5k in either you will be fine...and IMO reliable. K04's are more reliable then the K03's...

Im on my second Stage 3 S4, and I havent had any major issues with either, just small maintenance items. I dont know anyone with a Supercharged M3.. but I imagine it would be about the same. Small things go quicker when you are doubling the hp.

I *plan* on going to Euroquake Sunday morning... but I do have a good friends wedding the night before.. so it wouldnt shock me if I slept through the alarm!
                            Last edited by R-Audi; 08-17-2009, 01:13 PM.

Comment

in all honesty i'm with chris.. i'd buy the e46 before another b5.. and then i'd be buying a b6 or b7 v8 s4 instead too
                              the b5 is getting up there in age now.. but its hard to beat its power/luxury thats for sure

the allroad is completely different as the wife drives it and its staying 100% stock forever so no harm done

but modding wise.. i love my s4 to death but i think for the way i drive an e46 would be very nice to me or a v8 s4.. i'll keep my k03s until they putter oil everyone and stage 3 eventually..

agree with the 03+ models as i've heard horror stories about them

ps.. on a positive b5 or b6 s4 note.. if you get a RARE color you'll be probably 1 of 2 in town if that
                              Last edited by R_Ethug; 08-17-2009, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X