2 piece rotor turning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2 piece rotor turning?

i know. which way directional rotors always seems to be source of contention... the shop i went to pointed out pictures of race cars that had their rotors going against the direction of rotation so i agreed to have to installed that way.

i keep forgetting a4/s4's have the caliper mouted behind the rotor.

i don't have your steering wheel shake, but you can feel it in the car itself. actually, it's fine when it's cold. but when things heat up, moderate braking brings it out. i've tried using sandpaper to clean up the surface but no effect... it's a daily driver, not a track whore so either i didn't clean the rotors well enough after install, or i must have overtightened my wheel bolts. i just don't know
    Last edited by thumper; 08-19-2009, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Did you alter your rear brakes at all? Seems weird that you can't feel it in your steering wheel at all if it's the front brakes. Maybe check for some abnormal wear on the rear rotors. Have you tried re-bedding your pads/rotors lately? Not sure if you've read any of this but Stoptech has some good info on the problem and possible solutions. http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/faqs.shtml#25
      Good luck and let me know how it goes for you.
      2002 996TT
      2011 S5
      2004 S4 Avant

Comment

rear brakes are unaltered. does not have any noticable uneven wear. tried to rebed after doing the sanding.

how much did they charge you for the machine work? $75 per rotor was the quote i was given by one shop, which later changed their minds and said they couldn't do it.

Comment

Well I got a steal of a deal but $75per doesn't sound bad at all compared to the $800US ECS is quoting you for new brakes especially if you don't need them. Search around locally for someone willing to do it. Ask around some local enthusiast forums, someone will work around a brake lathe I'm sure that might be willing to help you out. If not the link I posted from Stoptech says they have had good luck using heavy duty race pads and doing some lower speed braking (as not to create any significant heat and transfer material) with the pads and grind off some material from the face. I almost went with some Hawk racepads model# HB501G.625, you can order these from Mopac and they quoted me $362 which was cheaper then bringing them up from ECS.
          Last edited by The Brice; 08-20-2009, 01:01 PM.
          2002 996TT
          2011 S5
          2004 S4 Avant

Comment

Anyone know a local shop can make cross drilled rotors from blanks?
            Dan

Comment

Originally posted by 1Point8T View Post
              Anyone know a local shop can make cross drilled rotors from blanks?
              I believe Cetus does.
              Otherwise there is a place in Blairmore that does it and then dips them in nitrogen for a longer lasting rotor.
              I'll see if i can locate the name.

Comment

Originally posted by The Brice View Post
                Well I got a steal of a deal but $75per doesn't sound bad at all compared to the $800US ECS is quoting you for new brakes especially if you don't need them. Search around locally for someone willing to do it. Ask around some local enthusiast forums, someone will work around a brake lathe I'm sure that might be willing to help you out. If not the link I posted from Stoptech says they have had good luck using heavy duty race pads and doing some lower speed braking (as not to create any significant heat and transfer material) with the pads and grind off some material from the face. I almost went with some Hawk racepads model# HB501G.625, you can order these from Mopac and they quoted me $362 which was cheaper then bringing them up from ECS.
                the shop i went to that quoted me $75 per was the only one i could find who said yes (initially) after asking around locally. i just don't know enough people who actually track their cars so i'm not in on the local crowds when it comes to specialized stuff like this.

heavy duty race pads... wow. won't that groove the surfaces all to hell?

jay just messaged me. he didn't know what i told him about ECS not selling the rings and parts alone. he said he will look at his other sources to see if he can find out where ecs is getting their rings from because they obviously do not do it in-house.
                Last edited by thumper; 08-21-2009, 11:22 AM.

Comment

i think i found someone!

a local porsche owner/racer told me to go to a local machine shop called WH Lowden... they use a grinder setup rather than a cutting bit to turn brake rotors... comments anyone?

[EDIT] information is not true... they only have a regular brake lathe but with a special adapter meant for 2pc rotors. $30 for each rotor, and will take at least 1.5 hours to complete.
                  Last edited by thumper; 09-04-2009, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VWSM View Post
                    I believe Cetus does.
                    Otherwise there is a place in Blairmore that does it and then dips them in nitrogen for a longer lasting rotor.
                    I'll see if i can locate the name.
                    Did you happen to locate the number of the place that does the Nitrogen Dip (cryogenic treatment??) to the rotors? I know there used to be a machine shop in town that did them, however he got rid of the machine since it wasnt being used enough for the cost.

I need a new set of rotors and would love to have them treated if i can find a place to do them.
                    2011 Jetta TDI

Comment

Working...
                    X