2 piece rotor turning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 piece rotor turning?

Hi guys, I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a brake or machine shop in town that would be willing to turn a set of 2 piece drilled/slotted rotors? Long story short I have a slight wobble in the steering wheel under light braking that no matter how many times I've tried to bed and re bed the pads to rotors it won't go away and drives me nuts. So my options are new rings ~$400, stoptech says they've had luck using heavy duty race pads to remove material ~$300, or find a skilled machinist/experienced brake repair shop that would be willing to turn them for me. So if anyone knows where I could look it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    2002 996TT
    2011 S5
    2004 S4 Avant

Re: 2 piece rotor turning?

Originally posted by The Brice View Post
    Hi guys, I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a brake or machine shop in town that would be willing to turn a set of 2 piece drilled/slotted rotors? Long story short I have a slight wobble in the steering wheel under light braking that no matter how many times I've tried to bed and re bed the pads to rotors it won't go away and drives me nuts. So my options are new rings ~$400, stoptech says they've had luck using heavy duty race pads to remove material ~$300, or find a skilled machinist/experienced brake repair shop that would be willing to turn them for me. So if anyone knows where I could look it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Good luck mate,i'll see what i can do.
    Sorry is this for your Audi? more info.
    Last edited by VWSM; 07-23-2009, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Can you see if there is a buildup of material on the rotor itself?

Green circle = material buildup from improper pads for application/usage.

If you do not see any material build up on your rotor, using a race pad/aggresive pad to clean the rotors would quite possibly be a waste of your time.

If the guys at Bert & Jack's think they can turn the rotors for you without causing any damage, maybe give that a try before replacing the outer discs. We normally recommend against any maching on a slotted/drilled rotor as most shops cannot turn them without causing more damage to them.

If you need anything else, let me know and I will be glad to give you a hand!
      Tunerworks Performance Inc.
      Please email sales@tunerworks.com for pricing
      .: TUNERWORKSTORQUE .:. Blog .:. Facebook .:. FlickeFlu .:. Flickr .:. YouTube .:. Kijiji Clearance :.
      STaSIS / Eurojet / GIAC / HRE / Modulare / BBS / WORK / RENNTech / TechArt / Brabus / Akrapovic / AWE / Fabspeed / Milltek / Hotchkis / MEC Design / KW Suspension / Novitec / Kahn Design / QuickSilver / RSC / StopTech / Brembo / AP Racing / Vorsteiner & more!

Comment

400 bucks is prety cheap for new rotors i would go with that . rs4 units are 550 each
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VWSM View Post
          Good luck mate,i'll see what i can do.
          Sorry is this for your Audi? more info.
          Yeah these are on my S4 they are ECS stg.4 kit which is a 352mm x 52mm 2 piece rotor using the Cayenne 6 piston calipers. The rotors have less than 10,000km on them so there is next to no wear on the discs. If you guys are willing to try and turn for me or know of someone who will let me know, it would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Originally posted by AllGo'n'Show View Post

If you do not see any material build up on your rotor, using a race pad/aggresive pad to clean the rotors would quite possibly be a waste of your time.

If the guys at Bert & Jack's think they can turn the rotors for you without causing any damage, maybe give that a try before replacing the outer discs. We normally recommend against any maching on a slotted/drilled rotor as most shops cannot turn them without causing more damage to them.

If you need anything else, let me know and I will be glad to give you a hand!
          Thank you very much for the reply and the words of advice here is a pic of the problem area. Now I think it originally happened because at the time I had a slightly off balance wheel on this corner. So the brakes went on and I went out and gave the pads a good bedding. The steering wheel already had a shake in it at speed due to the imbalanced wheel so I thought it was just the wheel for the time being. I rebalanced the wheel and noticed the brakes would still shudder under light load. So upon further investigation I noticed this section on the one rotor.

After trying to re bed on numerous occasions I've had no luck in clearing up the problem. So I'd like to see if being turned can clear up the problem. If that doesn't work you don't think that cold stopping on some serious race pads would do much?

Originally posted by turbomeyers View Post
          400 bucks is prety cheap for new rotors i would go with that . rs4 units are 550 each
          Well I'm a bit low on that estimate, a lot low actually ECS wants $515.86 US for two new rings shipped and these rings have less then 10k on them, oh and they won't just give you the rings you have to send them your hats so they can install the rings themselves to relieve them of any liability. So that means about $600 and several weeks I'm sure of the car sitting on jackstands waiting for them to come back, so that is going to be my absolute last resort. If I have to it can wait until I rip the motor out this winter anyways, but I certainly hope it doesn't get that far.
          Last edited by The Brice; 07-23-2009, 05:40 PM.
          2002 996TT
          2011 S5
          2004 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by AllGo'n'Show View Post

To me the rotor in the picture has hot spots and has hardened the steel in those spots. Oil, grease or grime on the rotor when installing will lead to those spots becoming super heated and hardening the surface of the rotor. Those spots because they are now hardened will not wear at the same rate as the rest of the rotor and prolonged use will increase the depth of the hardening and the rotor surface will become very uneven and eventually warp the rotor. This high spot could eventually lead to a build up of pad material. If the surface harding is deep enough you may not be able to machine it out. The rotor must be perfectly clean during pad bed in, if it is not this will be the result and the pads will be glazed. Rotor should be obsessively clean when installing even fingerprints should be avoided by wearing gloves and a cleaner should be used that does not leave a residue. The amount of material you would be able to remove would be very minimal but I would be willing to machine your rotors, I have access to a modern Hunter BL500 off car brake lathe. Pm'ed.

Comment

^^ What you posted can happen as well, very nice explanation for the people who didn't know, but in this particular case it was improper pad for the vehicle and its intended use.
              .: TUNERWORKSTORQUE .:. Blog .:. Facebook .:. FlickeFlu .:. Flickr .:. YouTube .:. Kijiji Clearance :.
              STaSIS / Eurojet / GIAC / HRE / Modulare / BBS / WORK / RENNTech / TechArt / Brabus / Akrapovic / AWE / Fabspeed / Milltek / Hotchkis / MEC Design / KW Suspension / Novitec / Kahn Design / QuickSilver / RSC / StopTech / Brembo / AP Racing / Vorsteiner & more!

Comment

Originally posted by shconer View Post
                To me the rotor in the picture has hot spots and has hardened the steel in those spots. Oil, grease or grime on the rotor when installing will lead to those spots becoming super heated and hardening the surface of the rotor. Those spots because they are now hardened will not wear at the same rate as the rest of the rotor and prolonged use will increase the depth of the hardening and the rotor surface will become very uneven and eventually warp the rotor. This high spot could eventually lead to a build up of pad material. If the surface harding is deep enough you may not be able to machine it out. The rotor must be perfectly clean during pad bed in, if it is not this will be the result and the pads will be glazed. Rotor should be obsessively clean when installing even fingerprints should be avoided by wearing gloves and a cleaner should be used that does not leave a residue. The amount of material you would be able to remove would be very minimal but I would be willing to machine your rotors, I have access to a modern Hunter BL500 off car brake lathe. Pm'ed.
                Yeah I thought of that possibility as well, I tried to ensure they were really clean for the install but I might of missed a spot, who knows. Well hopefully if the issue is a hardening on the rotor surface it's not too deep like you said. I just shot you an email there and thanks for the offer of assistance.
                2002 996TT
                2011 S5
                2004 S4 Avant

Comment

Big thanks to "schoner" for turning these for me, unfortunately he says they were pretty fubar but so far so good. I bedded them in and so far no shudder when braking at all so we'll see how it goes when I get some more miles on them now. When the cars down for the winter I'll just get a new set anyways I guess.
                  2002 996TT
                  2011 S5
                  2004 S4 Avant

Comment

Good luck to you!

If you need just replacement rings we can bring them in for you, without the need of sending your hats away. They will also include new hardware.

Comment

Thanks Jay, I'll get a hold of you when I need some new rings then.

Cheers,
                      2002 996TT
                      2011 S5
                      2004 S4 Avant

Comment

i wish i was in your neck of the woods...

i have a stage 5 setup on a mk5 gti.the same problem as you do (except for the steering wheel shake). i tried going around to the few recommended machine shops and none of them wanted to do it, because they said they've had 2-piece rotors flex on the brake lathe and the rings ended up turning into "cheese graters" (this is a direct quote!)

i tried contacting ECS directly and the quote i got was almost $800usd after shipping (ie. ship the hats to ECS for new rings and ship it back, excluding duties/taxes) , and the local ECS retailer tried to just get the rings and hardware shipped here instead so i can try to do it on my own to save on labor costs but ECS said no ... is it really that hard to do?
                        Last edited by thumper; 08-19-2009, 08:22 AM.

Comment

No it wouldn't be hard, ECS is just covering their asses I'd imagine. Jay at Tunerworks who posted above me says he can have them brought in so try those guys they might be able to help you out.
                          2002 996TT
                          2011 S5
                          2004 S4 Avant

Comment

thanks. i'll try and pm jay... btw, any updates on your situation? pics of your setup?

Last edited by thumper; 08-19-2009, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Well I've hardly put any miles on it at all since schoner turned them for me but so far so good. The car is my garage queen now it seems lol, I've put less than 5k on it in the last year or so now. Are your rotors not on backwards or maybe it's me?
                              2002 996TT
                              2011 S5
                              2004 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                              X