I want to get into photography....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I want to get into photography....

makes good sense. i don't do interesting things though.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Wow!!!! Thanks again for all the suggestions. I will definatley take them all into consideration.

I knew you guys would have a lot of great info.

Comment

Not to jack the thread or anything...
        If anything, to add more questions that might not have been covered...

I need suggestions & comments for any of those that know anything about Photography.

I want to get into this hobby early.
        Early in terms of my own "Personal Time Line".
        I will need some practice before I go Travel, before I get a Home, before I get the P-Car, before I get Married, before I have Children, etc... In the near future.

I am in the market for a really good Camera.
        I do not know much about Cameras other than the biased decision of wanting to own a Canon.
        I do not know much about Lenses & Flashes neither other than the fact that they play a major role in Photography.

After some research, I found a Canon that seems to have it all (Canon EOS 5D Mark II).

My budget would probably be from $1K.CaD - $2K.CaD.
        | There is no replacement for Displacement | Go Big or Go Home |

Comment

Originally posted by BillyJoelR View Post
          Not to jack the thread or anything...
          If anything, to add more questions that might not have been covered...

I need suggestions & comments for any of those that know anything about Photography.

I want to get into this hobby early.
          Early in terms of my own "Personal Time Line".
          I will need some practice before I go Travel, before I get a Home, before I get the P-Car, before I get Married, before I have Children, etc... In the near future.

I am in the market for a really good Camera.
          I do not know much about Cameras other than the biased decision of wanting to own a Canon.
          I do not know much about Lenses & Flashes neither other than the fact that they play a major role in Photography.

After some research, I found a Canon that seems to have it all (Canon EOS 5D Mark II).

My budget would probably be from $1K.CaD - $2K.CaD.

Photography is a mental things as much as it is a physical. If you don't have the right attitude, or the eye for it, all of your shots will look like myspace profile pics.
          I dont have the eye to the extent i wish i did. It's the eye that allows one person to see a fire hydrant at the side of the road, the other to see a masterpiece. The camera/lenses/gear....those are all just tools that take the creative idea in your head and make it into something tangible.

Learning photography is like learning to use any other tools. Learn what to use, when to use them, and how, to get the best results for what you are trying to achieve.

If you haven't already dabbled in photography 1-2g's can be a lot to put down. Especially as bodies really aren't the deal breakers in photography. But everyone starting out thinks they are. I know I did. Everyone thinks they need as many megapizels as possible, when in reality unless you are doing commercial prints 6MP is fine, and 10-12 is exceptional.

I'm not saying DONT buy the Canon 5D Mk2...i'm just asking why? If you are serious about photography, you will learn quickly the real money is in the lenses, and the bodies are just things that you attach to them and replace every 2-3 years (or even sooner), but glass lasts decades.

You could start with a less expensive body, that is just as capable, and build more of a well rounded kit, that ultimately will cost you the same 1-2K.
          If you feel you outgrow the body at some point, they are easy to sell and pick up a new one.

As for timeline to learn.....
          I knew ZERO about photography in september of 2008. Decided one day i wanted to learn, took a visa gift card i got at work and spent $450 to get a D40 with a kit lens. Did a ton of reading online in forums and stuff, lots of random practicing of stupid stuff around the apartment over the winter...and now am learning how to light stuff. It's not something I am all that serious about, its just become a hobby I enjoy.
          Team Highschool
          Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

I took some Classes at Sait, found them very helpful.

Comment

Wow! Such great insight!
              I don't particularly have to have the EOS 5D Mark II.
              I just really liked the idea of having the HD Video Feature in a DSLR.

Keeping my budget in mind ($1K - $2K)...
              If you were to restart (pretend you have the knowledge that you have now but without the hardware)...
              What Canon Model would you look into interms of Body & Lenses?
              What would be a "Well Rounded Canon Kit"?

Thanks in advanced.

Comment

I know I started with a Canon Rebel XS, although looking back I should have started with the XSi instead. At the moment were I to start I'd pick the T1i instead. Upgraded all along the board, as Andrew stated though, the glass is where it's at. If you want to really challenge yourself look at getting a 50mm prime lens, Canon makes the 50mm 1.8 II which sells for under $200 and forces you to think more about each shot. You can't just stand in one spot and zoom in. You'll have to properly compose the shot.

Music to permeate your soul …
                Jayson
                MKIV Jetta GLS VR6 -PARTING OUT-

What's Next?

Comment

HD video in a DSLR is overrated. my D90 has it and i've used it a whole ONE time.

is there any reason you are dead set on canon?
                  i was too, until i picked one up and hated how it felt in my hands.

both nikon and canon are so close right now its stupid. while nikon lenses keep "winning" tests, its down to a scientific level where unless you are shooting in a lab, you wont see a difference.

my suggestion would be going into a camera store, and picking up and holding both canon's and nikons. go through the menu's see how you like the layout. forget about the brand, the only people that care about brands are keyboard cowboys on internet forums.

Once you know what each feels like, it's easier to start pointing out specific models. Used bodies aren't a bad place to start. Half of them are less than a year old, and in mint condition. If new is your thing though, go see Dean @ The Camera Store. He can help you out with what you will want in a body.

The lenses will all depend on a) budget, and b) what you plan to be shooting.
                  Team Highschool

Comment

I know for myself I like the way the Canon cameras feel when held up to my face, with glasses I noticed the Nikon's just felt awkward. That's just me though, I also like Canon because I've been using them for as long as I can remember. Proximity breeds comfort I guess.

Music to permeate your soul …
                    Jayson
                    MKIV Jetta GLS VR6 -PARTING OUT-

What's Next?

Comment

Great suggestions / comments.

I particularly like the Canon because it has been my Family's camera of choice.
                      I have never held anything other than a Canon & Sony for as long as I can remember.
                      My Uncle brought his Canon from the States over for a Family Reunion & I just absolutely fell in-love with it.
                      It reminded me of what we used to have back in the 80s.
                      Those OG Cameras that had the Film Twist & Lock Mechanism.

I will check The Camera Store out to have a feel for the Nikon to avoid biased decisions.
                      After all, this hobby is quite expensive.

I was just reading some reviews about the the EOS 40D & EOS 50D...
                      I think the 40D or 50D just might be my route.
                      I might start of with an EF 17-55 mm Lens then move up to EF 18-200 mm.
                      That EOS 5D Mark II is just way too intense for an amateur like myself.

Lets talk warranty...
                      I won't mention any stores in particular but...
                      You know how some stores or Future Shops pressure you to Best Buy warranty on anything you inVision of purchasing?
                      Is it worth getting the extended warranty on these things?
                      They could get pretty hefty @ times.

Comment

nikon does 2 year warranty on body and 5 on glass, unsure about canon. I wouldn't bother with more. I used the nikon one because I broke my cheapy kit lens, and they were good to deal with.

I went Nikon because my buddy is semi-pro and could teach me and lend me lenses , otherwise nikon or canon would have been a toss up. Happy with the choice so far.

HD video is not really a feature. More of a bell, or a whistle maybe. If you wanted to do HD video, you'd need a video camera. I hear nikon's HD is great, but the audio is sub-par. Buy it for the still ability, and if it had HD, that's a bonus.
                        Last edited by stefan; 07-24-2009, 06:01 PM.
                        Stefan
                        -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                        -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

dont worry about warranty you get the cards if you buy new.

i would take a look at a D60 & a D90 on the nikon side, though the D80 is also very caable but was just discontinued.

Go see Dean at The Camera Store on 11th. He has glasses. Tell him Andrew sent you in, he's a good guy and really knows his stuff.
                          Team Highschool

Comment

Cannikon or Nicannon.
                            Either way I think would work.
                            Last edited by BillyJoelR; 07-24-2009, 06:10 PM.

Comment

pretty much.

the debates that start up on photo forums about which is better is hilarious.
                              Team Highschool

Comment

Thanks.
                                I shall let yall know how it goes.
                                In about a month or so.

Comment

Working...
                                X