I want to get into photography....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I want to get into photography....

any glass i buy will be FX glass. looking at 14-24, 24-70mm and 70-200mm all F2.8's to slowly acquire over the next while.
    even if i didn't upgrade bodies the 24-70 and 70-200mm are incredible lenses.
    Team Highschool
    Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

I'm torn on next step,
      35 mm f1.8G or SB-600?

Comment

I think the decision will get made for you.
        Unless you can find a store that has a 35mm f1.8 in stock you wont be getting one for a while. Nikon didn't make enough of them and they have been sold out basically north america wide.

if you dont already have a 50mm f1.8 i'd get one. if you do i'd get the flash next.

i do most of my portrait shots with my nifty fifty. It's super versatile.
        Team Highschool

Comment

i got my 35mm f1.8 at the camera store about 2 months ago. They were the only ones not sold out at that point. Pretty nice, simple lens though. Fairly nice construction too, with the metal mount and rubber seal at the base.
          Stefan
          -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
          -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
          -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

My Kit is on special order.
            The hardest part is waiting.
            | There is no replacement for Displacement | Go Big or Go Home |

Comment

Which kit would that be?

Music to permeate your soul …
              Jayson
              MKIV Jetta GLS VR6 -PARTING OUT-

What's Next?

Comment

I mentioned it I think in Page 3.
                So excited!

Comment

Oh! The brand new 18-200mm kit. I incorrectly assumed you were getting the 50D body on it's own then the two other lenses. I'm not up on my various kits apparently.

I know I'm still waiting for my 50D to arrive, it's through an employee purchase program and Canon has dropped the ball big time in shipping times. I'm waiting until the middle of August for the Canadian distributor to even get their next shipment. Insert grumbling here.

Music to permeate your soul …
                  Jayson
                  MKIV Jetta GLS VR6 -PARTING OUT-

What's Next?

Comment

waiting is the worst part
                    Team Highschool

Comment

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post
                      waiting is the worst part
                      I couldn't, I picked up a 35mm 1.8 last night.

Comment

where'd you find one?
                        i want to grab one but dont know who still has stock.
                        Team Highschool

Comment

Vistek has a few.

Comment

What would the difference between the 35mm 1.8 vs 55mm 1.8?
                            Just curious which is better?

Comment

depends what you want it for. I've used both, and in the end I liked the 35 because half my pics are inside and of my kids, and sometimes with the 50mm, I couldn't get back far enough to get everything in my shot. 35mm is just a wider angle. You will get some other differences in image results, but nothing major. ie: if you look at very specific examples of bokeh (blurry background), the 50mm is a little smoother and more appealing, but honestly.. you reeeaally have to look to notice.

Big thing is the viewing angle. For my indoor, small room pics, I like the 35mm because it can see more, but a 50mm will give more zoom.. Both are great fast lenses.

35mm is a 'G' lens too, so if you are oldskool, you can't manually set the aperture ring, which you would never do on a DSLR, or any recent film camera. 'G' (gelded) isn't a feature, rather a reduction in features. They are nearly obsolete features that were removed though. 35mm also lacks the range guide on the focus ring. Again, no biggie. They removed a few rarely used features to get the price down.

50mm is also an FX lens, so it is good to go for the pro line cameras with larger image sensors. An FX lens on a DX camera is fine, but an DX lens on a FX camera will give clipping on the edge of your picture because the image sensor is larger than the focused light, so you get a border of black.
                              Last edited by stefan; 07-31-2009, 03:30 PM.
                              Stefan
                              -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                              -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                              -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

the big feature of a 35mm lens is its a "natural" lens when put on a crop body.

50mm is supposed to be identical to what your eyes see on a full frame (or 35mm fil;m) sensor. consider it 0x zoom. Everything else either above or below increases the zoom, or makes a wide angle.

thats why people have loved 50mm lenses for so long. aside from them being extremely fast.

with nikon having a 1.5x crop and canon with their 1.6x crop sensor the 35mm puts it into 50mm territory when you account for the crop sensor.
                                Team Highschool

Comment

Working...
                                X