Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback on my website please!

Hey,

So after leaving Maxwell I am no longer supplied with the generic website every other Maxwell Realtor has. So i took it upon myself to try and create my own site for fun/possibilities of saving money.
    Im looking for feedback....
    Is it ok? or would you take 1 look at it and think "im not working with this guy" type thing?
    Ive been quoted anywhere from $750 to $4000 to have a pro make a site. Makes me wonder if the 4000 people are just overcharging or if the 750 people would create basically what I have. Originally paid a friend $300 to make me one and it looked worse than myne.
    http://www.calgary-fsbo.com

Any other suggestions is much appreciated!!!
    Thanks in advance

PS: Instead of creating a new account is there anyway to change usernames?

Re: Feedback on my website please!

Needs work - get a student to make you one and use it in their portfolio.

Never ever use a site that has banner/sidebar ads, unless they're yours.
    Geoff
    Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

^ what he said

Comment

thanks for the input.
        When you say to have a student make one for their portfolie what sort of costs am i typically looking at for a similar site just better looking!

Thanks,

Comment

Your website lacks a lot of things: layout, navigation, identity, professional look/feel...and so on.

Essentially it all depends what you want to the website to do for you?

In most cases, a good website needs to clearly state who you are, what you do (offer service/products), how much is it going to cost, and how to get in touch with you. Of course there are many more aspects of building a successful website, but the main thing is to attract the attention of a visitor/potential client and give him/her a reason to stay on your website for more than 3sec (what do you offer that is so different/unique from your competitors?).

As far as the price goes, it all depends on what YOU need and how complex the project is. Also, it should depend on your budget. Paying $4000 for a realestate website is a bit too much, but not unusual. If you pay that much you better make sure that they do $4000 worth of work for you.

It's hard to estimate the cost (without know exactly everything you need), but in my opinion, you should be looking at $600-$900 CAD.

Also, I can see that you're using homestead to build your website. I've been working for them since 2004 (freelance) and created most of their (pre-built) web site/template gallery. I've also done tons of other custom work for them, so I know the company/software well.

Comment

honest feedback.....

the site kinda looks like the webpages for those trashy car dealerships you would never buy a car from. im sorry but its the honest truth.

As has been mentioned you need to determine what you want the website to do for you. In my head the website is kinda the first place any new potential client might go to learn about you, your services, and what you can do for them.

Your current website does none of those things. It's very basic, too basic, like an amateur made it.

You need to remember that its all about first impressions. Someone is going to look at that website that is yours, and immediatly begin to form opinions about you, before they have even seen a picture of you, or heard you speak.

You want the website to make a GOOD first impression, do a lot of the work for you, so that when that person calls they are already confident in you.

I look at guys like Malcol Hasman ( http://www.malcolmhasman.com/home.html ) from Vancouver, or even Scott Hargis ( http://www.scotthargis.com ) who is a real estate photographer...... immediatly you see their websites and know they are good at what they do and mean business. It's the first impression you get, and it sticks with you.

I'd try and find someone who has done some real estate pages before, it is likely quicker than coming up with a design of your own that you have to explain to a programmer. You could do some research of other high level agents websites and come up with some ideas of what you want a template to look like, but it will take a fair bit of time on your part....and then you will have to convey these ideas to the person doing the design and hope nothing gets lost in translation.

Real Estate like any kind of sales is all about image. Let the website boost your image rather than hold you back. If you are serious about your profession you should get serious about what your first impression will be for potential clients. If you can find someone that is willing to do it for cheaper it's always better than overpaying. But just make sure you're not sacrificing quality for $$$. When you figure if the website generates like 1 sale...it's paid for itself.
            Team Highschool
            Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

If I were you I would hire a professional or amateur who has a portfolio, its your business we are talking about here and you want to look AWESOME not just "good enough to maybe do business with" right?

Get someone who is good and instead of having them design and build a site, just buy a template

http://www.templatemonster.com/categ...1&cat=4&type=1

you can get a template then put in your own content pretty cheaply

You can get a non unique template which is good enough for you for $60 and probably pay someone for 5 hours of work on it at a flat rate of maybe $300 bucks or something.
              Last edited by Kor; 06-11-2009, 09:31 PM.
              KR
              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

yeah, get 'er done right. I'm totally a judge the book by it's cover guy when it comes to websites.
                Stefan
                -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I used to do website design way back when but I cheated... I would look at websites that have good layouts and design and steal their script and change the information over....
                  drive green ||
                  2003 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T - ex old fun car
                  2011 Mercedes Benz B200 Turbo - daily getter

Comment

Originally posted by hopya View Post
                    I used to do website design way back when but I cheated... I would look at websites that have good layouts and design and steal their script and change the information over....
                    Uhh this is copyright infringement and you could have seen jail time
                    KR
                    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

all input is greatly appreciated.
                      Your all right,
                      time to consider it an investment that could pay back very quick.

Thanks again,

Comment

Pull out your trusty google search bar and look for "real estate website templates"

Many companies specialize in these templates.

I found this as an example

http://www.agentimage.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
                          Uhh this is copyright infringement and you could have seen jail time
                          i stole from my buddy's proj homepage back in 10th grade.... jail time's probably unlikely.
                          but on topic: there are those templates mentioned that you can purchase, most of them are more than half decent to use for your website. pick a template and have us vote on your choices or something.
                          Last edited by onepointeightdub; 06-12-2009, 01:24 AM.
                          drive green ||
                          2003 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T - ex old fun car
                          2011 Mercedes Benz B200 Turbo - daily getter

Comment

l agree with all the comments above... needs work.
                            One page l've always gone back to... http://www.calgarylofts.com/index.html ... the biggest thing that you see in this link and the previously posted links is Professional Image.
                            My 2 cents.
                            M

Comment

Website is pretty simple. In some respetcs that can be a good thing. If you decide to keep the site I would recommend changing the colour scheme (Calgary lofts example above is a really good example on the use of colour), adding a link about who you are.
                              I agree with some of the comments made above.
                              When designing your website you need to know its main purpose and who is your target audience. That research will give an idea of the type of language, colours and navigation to use.
                              Hope this helps.
                              Current: 2002 Zonda CRV
                              2004 VW MK4 1.8T GTI
                              2001 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (European)

Comment

Working...
                              X