LCD mounting questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD mounting questions

Not sure the answer to this question so I thought I would ask before I take a wall down in my house or burn the whole place down.

I have wall mounted a TV before so I am really not worried about doing that at all, this question is more about the structure of the wall and the risk of fire.

I want to put 37”-42” TV above my fire place, I know the fire place was an addition onto the house and the pervious home owner did it on their own. My concern is the weight of the TV on that wall as there is no stud from the ceiling to floor anymore. The actual wall mount will be installed somewhere in the blue box which means it will be connected to the studs that do not run the full length of the wall. I am a assuming that there is a 2x4 running across the top of the fire place (the bottom of where my white line is). Will this wall (or half wall) hold the TV?

My next question is in regards to running wiring in the wall, I have a LCD tv in my room that I ran all the wiring in wall including the power. I used a power bridge to run a power outlet up to my tv thus not running a TV power cord through the wall. I plan on doing the same thing here, should I be worried about heat from the fire place on the wires?

Few things to note about the fireplace, it is a full gas wood burning fire place. The chimney for the fire place is about 12” around (indicated in red), so it’s not a big square stack that runs up the middle of the wall. The chimney does also not run up against the wall. A new mantel (indicated in green) will be installed that will stick out from the wall preventing a lot of heat from hitting the TV.

Thanks for any input

2001.5 Audi S4

Originally posted by James
    My engine may be a solid 4 liters smaller than yours, but i have a HUGE penis

Re: LCD mounting questions

You are likely going to have to beef up the frame work behind that wall with some 2x6's and fully secure them to the back wall so they don't pull forwards. You also have to worry about the lag bolts you are using doing into the Chimney stack which you will never know as the whole wall will fill full of smoke. I was going to suggest using something like that power bridge, looks like a good idea. You might have to look into what type of wiring you need to use due to the heat though. I do think the mantle will help out a lot to keep heat rising up directly under the TV. Make sure you leave enough room to add some surround speakers in the future.
    Name: Brent
    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Working...
    X