NASA - Johnson Space Centre, Houston Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA - Johnson Space Centre, Houston Texas

Recently decided to take a detour on the way to a meeting and swing by the Johnson Space Centre down in Houston Texas. Johnson Space Centre is where almost all of the training for astronauts takes place, as well there is where shuttle and space station mission control are located. Hence "Houston we have a problem". The Space Centre is MASSIVE to say the least. The public can only get access to about 10% of the base, but for $30 its a good way to kill 5 hours, and they got a lot of cool **** there to see.

Because it is an active high security facility they aren't huge fans of large cameras there. So bringing a second lens was a no go, and I was stuck walking around with my wide angle sigma 10-20mm. All shot with my D90.

I went on a Monday morning early in the morning to avoid the crowds so I could get most shots without people. But by the end of the tour it was almost impossible to take photos that captured things without a million people in the way.

Enjoy

First stop, the Shuttle;

Flight deck

Bay Door Controls

Bathroom

This is a mock up of the space station interior

Next up was a tour to the rock lab

And then to the moon itself

Then some space artifacts

Then it was off to the coolest part of the trip, Rocket Park.
    The specs on the Saturn V rocket are 363 feet long and 43 feet tall. God damn enormous. This used to lay outside but due to the Texas humidity that was eating away at the rocket since the 1980's they built a huge hanger around the rocket and restored it. Definetly glad I had the wide angle for this. It almost shows how big it is, but you really have to see it to believe it. Kinda jaw dropping. You have to be truley crazy to strap yourslef to one of these bad boys.
    As one astronaut that I met on the tour said, "when it hits 5 seconds and you feel the booster rockets begin to fire you know you are going somewhere damn fast".

Training Rocket

This is about 14-16 feet tall

And then you go inside

Last but not least was a tour of mission control.
    This is the actual room used to control all the old missions, and when things like Apollo 13 happend this was where the call came to.

Also toured space station control, because it is active they don't allow any type of photography. The astronauts were sleeping while I toured through but its still pretty cool. I thought I had enough computer screens on my desk....these guys have WALLS of screens.

If you ever make it down to Texas it's definetly worth the stop.
    Team Highschool
    Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Re: NASA - Johnson Space Centre, Houston Texas

cool!!!

Comment

Amazing pics Andrew, thanks for sharing!! Some of that stuff is just unbelievable, reminds me of when I visited the Aerospace Museum at the Smithsonian in Washington DC when I was a kid!
      Blair
      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Awesome pics! I love NASA geek stuff.

Few years back, I was leaving Kennedy Space Stations & near the the swampy area we pulled over as I had to take a leak. There were all these shiny marbly things in the water.

They were god damn Aligator eyes. I pissed so fast!!!
        Last edited by cam_wmh; 05-22-2009, 10:24 AM.
        Cam

2004 VW R32 Turbo

Comment

Very, very cool! Thanks for posting those pics!

Wonder what an Upsolute or REVO reflash would do to the boost on those rockets :P
          2008 Audi RS4
          2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

heheh

nice pics!
            Stefan
            -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
            -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
            -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Awesome pics. I can still remember going to Cape Canaveral in my teens, it was incredible.
              Name: Brent
              His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
              Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
              Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

That brings back memories. I was there about 6 years ago and rocket park was still outside. When I was there they had a red and blue tour. The red one showed the space station assembly training, shuttle and stuff like that. The blue one showed the construction of the space station escape pod that was being built in conjunction with the soviets. It was cool!
                Mike
                '14 Toyota 4Runner SR5
                '04 Jetta Wagon 1.8T

Comment

Nice!

Comment

cool thanks,

Talk about being along for the ride on that rocket though lol, just that tiny little pod on top of all that fuel tank n engine
                    Eric..

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something you don't!

Comment

Great photos, thanks for sharing.
                      It reminded me of when my sister took me to the Kennedy Space centre when I was 14. They had the shuttle on the launch pad to take off the next day. Defo worth seeing.
                      Current: 2002 Zonda CRV
                      2004 VW MK4 1.8T GTI
                      2001 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (European)

Comment

It's all B.S man they never made it on the moon..
                        It's a Disney Scam to justify tax dollars.
                        Cool stuff just like Star Trek but it never happened.

Comment

those last few pics are simply amazing!

that thing is beyond huge, would love to see it in person!
                          Originally posted by RedMile
                          Don't bug the receiver though, he's far to busy to help you out.
                          Originally posted by Smarty39
                          haha, thanks man...I take it you're the receiver lol?

Comment

Working...
                          X