Apple TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple TV

I currently use my mac book to connect to my LCD tv to watch tv shows etc. I have played around with the idea of doing a media PC for my TV for about a year now and came across the Apple TV running XBMC. Anyone running this setup? Any suggestions on what to get/do? My tv is a 42" 1080p LCD.
    2001.5 Audi S4

Originally posted by James
    My engine may be a solid 4 liters smaller than yours, but i have a HUGE penis

Re: Apple TV

I'm running XBMC on AppleTV and am very happy with it. HDMI to the tv, Optical audio to the receiver, wireless streaming from my media drive (on my iMac), all controlled through my Harmony remote.

Hacking the AppleTV took under 5 minutes once the patch was downloaded and installed on a memory stick. I can't remember the exact steps right now, but shoot me a PM with any specific questions and I'll get to it over the weekend. I am very happy with my setup....
    Jeff

2017 Sportwagen
    2016 .:R (sold)
    2013 Golf TDI Wolfsburg (sold)
    2001.5 Audi S4 (sold)

Comment

hey there. since about 2000 i've been running a media center of some sort.

originally it was s-video off an ati all-in-wonder running linux' mythtv . i wouldn't suggest it, mainly because i don't suggest anything linux at all. hope no one hijacks this comment but: if you value your time, avoid hobby hippy software lol . and this is coming from an ex linux core developer that built the first ipfwadm and ipmasquerade lol

so eventually i learned my lesson and then SageTV came out for windows . this is when i started to see the light and began being a slave to mr bill's big stick .

theeeeeeeeen windows media center came out . and i rocked that until this year .

but then as usual, windows media center dissappppointed me . mainly because i got a 1080p and wanted to watch bluray mkv files . i don't consider myself technically challenged by any means, but i couldn't get mkv to recognize/play in MCE.

to rectify the faults with MCE, i wrote my own media center application that i released freeware. i'm not very original so i called it DJ's Media Center.. here's a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5B_1Zzvc1Y .. and here's some pics of it: http://atomic.speculation.org/Graphi...edia%20Center/

the latest version also hooks up to a windows mobile pda phone . and you can control the music over your network with it . lets me sit in the back yard around the fire pic and control the music

anyway, if u do decide to go the apple way . i haven't used it but i hear good things . real good things .

and if u decide to go the windows way, beware cause mkv's are annoying . unless you decide to use one of the third party media center programs like mine . however, mine is good and works fine . supports shoutcast and weather etc .. but there are some bugs . i'm aware of the bugs so i work around them . and i don't have the time or care to fix them lol

edit: oh yah and i use this remote, it's awesome for a media center. can't beat it! http://www.gizmowatch.com/entry/new-...ur-fingertips/
      Last edited by aliencurv; 04-24-2009, 12:21 PM.
      D.J.
      Turbo SVT Focus
      Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

Bonus points to you for the farscape episodes I think I am going to try out your software as it looks nice and simple.
        Name: Brent
        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall View Post
          Bonus points to you for the farscape episodes I think I am going to try out your software as it looks nice and simple.
          lol i almost lost a girlfriend over farscape . when i discovered it was so addicted . i started dreaming about it . that show was made for my humour entirely . i was devistated when i ran out of episodes !

if you do try mine, i should put the latest version up for download . there is no "help file", so it may appear confusing as to setting it up .

the idea is it uses windows media player's video/audio engine . so any files that work in media player will work in mine . i recommend installing FFDShow or some codec that includes FFDShow .

i haven't used it in Vista yet, so i don't know if it'll work .

i'm running Windows build 7057 on my laptop, and i think it handles application directory and security the same as Vista, so i could probably diagnose any issues and fix them .

like i said, it's totally beta even though it's publically downloadable .

^^^^^^ that was my huge disclaimer if u think it's ****
          (but i use it daily because i know where the bugs are lol)
          D.J.
          Turbo SVT Focus
          Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

Originally posted by aliencurv View Post
            if you value your time, avoid hobby hippy software lol .
            hahah awesomeness
            REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
            -james

Comment

Working...
            X