Downtown Calgary Hospital Teardown pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downtown Calgary Hospital Teardown pics

Some of you messaged me about posting some of the pics...so here they are.

I live across the street from an old war hospital. It was basically where people from WWII and such would go once they came home if they were injured and required permanent care for the rest of their lives.
    The building had been around for over 60 years, and many of the people who had been staying there have sinced passed on. With real estate in Calgary going through the roof, the need for a bigger downtown emergency care facility, and dwindling residents the city finally decided to tear the place down.

I wish I had known this BEFORE I moved into my building across the street last Sept, because it has been a little noisy while they have been doing stuff. My apartment looks right onto the hospital site, and so I've had a great view of whats been going on, from the gutting of the interior to the tear down which is almost complete.

I still need to edit some of the first pictures of the building, so I'll add those later. But I thought I would share.

The actual physical teardown has taken less than 10 days. It should be leveled by tomorrow night when I get home...which will make for a nice new view.

Taken back in Sept 2008, the building is dead center.

Last Friday was my day off....I woke up to what sounded like the end of the world.

All that's left is that small column where the fire exits are. Before this all started I tried doing some urban exploring in there late at night, but it was locked up pretty damn tight and there was a guy on patrol throughout the night. It was funny seeing him walk around inside the gutted building from across the street cause I could see his flashlight as he went onto the floors from my couch.

No idea what the plans for the site are long term, I'm thinking they will flatten it and leave it for a while.
    Team Highschool
    Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Re: Downtown Calgary Hospital Teardown pics

The boom on that excavator is HUGE. Too cool.
    Name: Brent
    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

time to build something more urban!

When did they stop using that place? I dont think ive ever seen someone walk into that place in the 10 years that i lived in DT.
      Originally posted by RedMile
      Don't bug the receiver though, he's far to busy to help you out.
      Originally posted by Smarty39
      haha, thanks man...I take it you're the receiver lol?

Comment

Wow, awesome pictures.
        Cam

2004 VW R32 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Compton View Post
          time to build something more urban!

When did they stop using that place? I dont think ive ever seen someone walk into that place in the 10 years that i lived in DT.
          I think they were using the Colonel Belcher up until they started to take it down, it was a seniors home for the vets.
          2001.5 Audi S4

Originally posted by James
          My engine may be a solid 4 liters smaller than yours, but i have a HUGE penis

Comment

that top HDR shot is awesome!

Comment

they moved the vets out in late october. started gutting it in december, started tearing it down last week.
              Team Highschool

Comment

They had a high level psych ward on the 3rd floor, there were alot of outpatient clinics and such on the 5th floor, and a foot clinic on the 1st, and otherwise it was mostly seniors living.....There were some amazing old surgical suites on the 5th floor (in the first pic, the area thats demolished) and one of the theatres was a observation one with the glass roof and such.....it was really neat, but creepy walking around in there at night....When I first moved to Calgary I did some part time security work and stuff, that was one of the places I worked.....Got to know alot of it, and old hospitals are very very neat to explore around....especially the morgue and old patho/autopsy rooms.....
                2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
                2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
                2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

Great pics Andrew!

I drive past there many times a week so I have been seeing the process or tear down evolve, cool to see the work but kind of sad to see it come down. Looks cool at the moment with just the small part left covered in snow now!

I can just make out my building in your first pic too!
                  Blair
                  Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

I work in the building next to where the demolition takes place. It's a nice distraction to watch it come down in contrast to all the layoff's currently going on within the company. As of this morning it's almost all gone!
                    Last edited by Kona Bear; 03-23-2009, 01:22 PM.
                    Mike
                    '14 Toyota 4Runner SR5
                    '04 Jetta Wagon 1.8T

Comment

so i take it you're at worley then?
                      Team Highschool

Comment

the site meant something to me to.

its where my 97 golf k2 burned to the ground. :(
                        1997 VW Golf K2 - Up in Flames
                        1998 VW Jetta Wolfsberg - Sold
                        2010 VW Golf Sportsline - Wheel Gap is Gross

Comment

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post
                          so i take it you're at worley then?
                          Yep that's where I is/was!
                          Mike
                          '14 Toyota 4Runner SR5
                          '04 Jetta Wagon 1.8T

Comment

shitty to hear man.
                            Team Highschool

Comment

Par for the course these days. Kind of looking forwards to the forced time off as I can prep our nursery and give my wagon the attention it derserves. It needs a good cleaning and waxing. I hope to take up some photography as well so my photo shooting skills become as good as yours Rondal. Nice pic's btw!
                              Mike
                              '14 Toyota 4Runner SR5
                              '04 Jetta Wagon 1.8T

Comment

Working...
                              X