Help me out please, my career.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me out please, my career.....

As some or most of you know, I'm a Paramedic working here in Calgary. My job is dynamic, dangerous, stressful and rewarding. I'm currently going through the most uncertain time in my (so far) 11 year career; the Provincial EMS takeover. This transition has been long in the making, but only recent in the execution. We currently stand to be taken over on April 1 of THIS YEAR, and still have not heard anything about the following:

Where will I work?
    How will my duties be affected (no, its not just "driving an ambulance")
    Who are my superiors?
    Will I be laid off and re-hired (at a significantly reduced rate of pay)?
    Will our responsibilites suddenly include "hallway paramedicine"?

I know this may not mean very much to many of you, I also know many of you are not supportive of Unions in any form. I grew up knowing what the provincial government could do to any of their employees at any time, my mother is a nurse, and was laid off no less than 5 times through government "restructuring", the SAME government that has placed Calgarians in the position they currently suffer with the lack of hospitals, long waits, and Doctor/Nurse shortage. Unfortunately, we NEED a union to provide us a voice, and the power to be able look out for the interests of MYSELF, and the PUBLIC.

Currently we stand to likely be lumped into one of the following 4 unions, UNA (nurses), UNA (auxiliary nursing), HSAA (RT's, physiotherapy, radiology, housekeeping, etc), or AUPE (general support staff).

Why is this a problem you ask? Well, Paramedics don't fit into any of those particular groups, my job borders between 1. Healthcare, and 2. Public Safety. As a Paramedic I can do any of the following:
    - perform a surgical airway in the field
    - perform rapid sequence intubation in the field
    - electronically and chemically stop and restart your heart
    - administer over 100 critical and symptomatic relief medications at any time (without physician orders....this ain't no hospital!)
    - deliver baby's in your living room, and alternatively pronounce death in the same space
    - work on the side of icy roads in any weather, light, and for any length of time
    - step into crack houses, domestics, shootings, stabbings. deal with animals, psychiatric crisis, any number of communicable diseases DAILY
    - work entire 14 hour shifts with no break, no food, and still get overtime (yes, it happens often)
    - the list goes on.....

So what am I saying? We are unique, our environment is unique, our training is unique, our responsibilities are unique, and as such we NEED to be able to represent ourselves when across the table from the Government/Alberta Health Services, not somebody who could be a Recreational Therapist, or Food Service Technician.

Please, check out this website, read the print, watch the ads, and forward a letter to your MLA showing your support for Paramedics representing Paramedics with a 5th bargaining unit, it would mean the world to me.

http://www.ourparamedics.ca/

Thanks for reading, and please please ask anything if you've misunderstood something, or I've been a poor communicator... Remember, I'm here to help YOU
    2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
    2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
    2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Re: Help me out please, my career.....

The paramedics knowledge base and skills sets is amazing , very unappreciated for what they do.

I support, im currently studying to be a registered nurse.
    "No one likes to shake hands with Mr.Shitty Fingers."

Comment

Great to hear! My GF is an RN working emerg here in Calgary, it all pays off in the end!
      2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
      2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
      2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

I'll admit I'm not a union guy in most respects. They seem to get out of hand all too often. That said, you are in a tough field, and to deserve proper representation and compensation. You are right. What you do is unique, and you probably shouldn't be lumped in with the unions you mentioned.

You are currently where you are because you have worked hard, and no doubt are good at what you do. Some civil service unions no longer require either of these traits. I would think that with such a unique skill set being required, you would not have much in terms of slackers or wasted funds in an EMS union.

This applies more to the government office jobs than field work, but I think it addresses what civil service should be, and what it can become if a union is mis-handled, and why civil service unions concern average joe taxpayer:

“However long we are keepers of the public trust we should never forget that we are here as public servants and public service is a privilege. It’s not about advantaging yourself. It’s not about advancing your friends or your corporate clients. It’s not about advancing an ideological agenda or the special interests of any organization. Public service is, simply and absolutely, about advancing the interests of Americans.”
        -B.Obama

Anyways, it's hard for me to write on a topic like this with out sounding offensive - that's not my intent. To be clear, I do fully support the EMS. I'm just trying to illustrate where much of the non union sentiment comes from, in my opinion.

I wouldn't enjoy your job, and am grateful guys like you are there to do it. Best of luck!!
        Stefan
        -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
        -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I'll definetly support Paramedics where ever I am, they've helped me countless times when I've had my seizures.
          - Alex

Comment

Originally posted by stefan View Post
            I'll admit I'm not a union guy in most respects. They seem to get out of hand all too often. That said, you are in a tough field, and to deserve proper representation and compensation. You are right. What you do is unique, and you probably shouldn't be lumped in with the unions you mentioned.

You are currently where you are because you have worked hard, and no doubt are good at what you do. Some civil service unions no longer require either of these traits. I would think that with such a unique skill set being required, you would not have much in terms of slackers or wasted funds in an EMS union.

This applies more to the government office jobs than field work, but I think it addresses what civil service should be, and what it can become if a union is mis-handled, and why civil service unions concern average joe taxpayer:

“However long we are keepers of the public trust we should never forget that we are here as public servants and public service is a privilege. It’s not about advantaging yourself. It’s not about advancing your friends or your corporate clients. It’s not about advancing an ideological agenda or the special interests of any organization. Public service is, simply and absolutely, about advancing the interests of Americans.”
            -B.Obama

Anyways, it's hard for me to write on a topic like this with out sounding offensive - that's not my intent. To be clear, I do fully support the EMS. I'm just trying to illustrate where much of the non union sentiment comes from, in my opinion.

I wouldn't enjoy your job, and am grateful guys like you are there to do it. Best of luck!!
            I agree, in alot of workplaces it is truly more of the demise of the working values and becomes more of a joke when it comes to demands! I want to be clear about this, we know these are tough times, we know the province isn't awash in cash, this isn't an issue of give us more money, its an issue of allow us to define shape our profession and the direction its going.......Thanks for your post!

Comment

I am not sure where to start on this one.

Tough times...YES! Going to get worse....YES! Things as we know it will continue to change....YES!

I have worked ER now for 9 years. I was lucky enough to worry about my job everyday for 4 years after I graduated. My region decided to be the model for what people are seeing now. Blind and no direction they chopped and chopped. Lost our ICU, lost L and D, Med surg beds. They decided to "enhance the ER". Transport everything 30 mins away and over load the ER in Lethbridge. Make changes to the hospital to allow a clinic to move in, community health, etc. They sell the old community health building for $1 which was bought by Lethbridge College. Now all these changes were to save money. The face lift was to cost a few million. Well last I had heard the face lift was 4-5 times that.
              A few years ago with the boom there was talk about reopening the hospital. But now they have all these extra services that would have to relocate. Buildings are not cheap anymore. So the idea was to bring in engineers to see what the solution would be. Due to the changes they suggested going up. Adding a second floor to the hospital. Now that price tag was over $100 million. That didnt include the cost to put the oxygen lines back in the walls, rewire the main floor etc. This was the strategy when the changes were first made. We faught very hard to leave the rooms the way they were. Then if a crisis happened we could move desk workers out and put patients in the rooms. Basic common sense. But the powers that be insisted on gutting the place. They knew the price would be too high to re run lines. No doubt it was done on purpose. It made it seem like they knew best. TO me a hospital is just that. Not a place for office workers. Let the office workers adapt. Hang pictures over oxygen outlets, etc.
              So I understand the uncertainty. Part of the changes were to loose RNs + LPNs that cost too much and bring in paramedics. A change not well recieved by RNs. Now that I look back I like it the way it is. I have made great friends and the scope of practice is more well rounded. The doctors are more challenged then ever to keep up their knowledge which was greatly needed. Between the two professions we really dont need the dr. Due to the changes I lost the right to preceptor RN students (which is fine) but we have picked up EMT and Paramedic students. The rewards are way better with them. Less paper work, and Nait gives gifts. That was never the case with RN students. Makes you feel worth while. There hasnt been one paramedic that has hated teh hospital scene. No more cold nights in a ditch, no traffic, etc. So they think the change was good, as do I. I think the part of refacing a hospital is a dumb move.
              I wish you luck. Time will tell. The good thing is what we were told when we went through changes "if you dont like it then leave". Harsh to hear but RNs are needed everywhere as well as paramedics. You may not want to move but go where you are respected. Alberta for being a money rich province sure has messed up the relations will ALL healthcare fields. From doctors down. Dont feel you are being miss treated cause all levels have gone through it. Its just your turn now. Support each other, thats all I can say.

Comment

I took my emr recently in hopes of eventually being a paramedic. After the course I realized I'm a tad too hot headed for it. I hope it works out like it should for all of you. It seems the way paramedics have been treated is kinda ******** in this situation. Both my teachers in the class seemed pretty jaded. I will definatley check out the site and do what I can.

Comment

Working...
                X