Building Permits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Permits

Before I get too ahead of myself, I need to get permits for the basement development. For thoes who have done their basements, What is all involved in getting this done? From what I have found, a Generial building permit, an electrial permit and a Plumbing permit? After you have permits, then you can get inspections done? Then put up the drywall?

Re: Building Permits

You're exactly right, Rob. Just have fun standing in line downtown for a couple hours lol. When you phone to schedule your inspections you should be able to have them all come on the same day (if you're done everything at the same time of course).
    Kyle
    2000 Audi S4

Comment

Don't forget a layout drawing of what you want the basement to look like. Be sure to show walls, doors, closets, windows etc... Put some dimensions on to help yourself out.
      Mike
      '14 Toyota 4Runner SR5
      '04 Jetta Wagon 1.8T

Comment

It is pretty easy and they give way to much leeway to homeowners when it comes to permits. The inspections where also a joke for how much time they spent checking things. They should be checking in even more detail when homeowners do the work. As for the permits themselves download some free home reno type software and measure and lay everything out. You will not only save yourself time when building but it will make your permits easier. You will need a permit for structure, wiring, electrical and HVAC (only if you are moving ducting). There is lots of helpful links on the city of calgary website. An added note to anyone who thinks they don't need permits, get them, your home insurance can be voided if you ever have a fire etc on work that was gone without a permit. Also when you go to sell you house and you don't have permits for you work you house will be seriously devalued, just ask the old owner of my house.
        Name: Brent
        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

The framing is done, the plumbing and wiring will be done this weekend. Are the permits a go and get it type of thing, or something that has to be mailed out?

Comment

You have to go down to city hall and show & tell them your plans and fill out some paper work to get the permits. Oh ya and don't forget tp pay the fee(s).
            Mike
            '14 Toyota 4Runner SR5
            '04 Jetta Wagon 1.8T

Comment

Working...
            X