Theft From Vehicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theft From Vehicles

I just had this notice send to me which originated from Cst. Wally Henry in Sherwood Park. Has anyone else heard of this? I've never locked my door from the inside. Does that even set the alarm? I'm not sure if there's a difference between factory and aftermarket. Anyone here know?

...EDIT: I guess I should have put this in the lounge. Sorry. Admins, please feel free to move it....

Here's the notice:

How to lock your car safely

While traveling my son stopped at a roadside park. He came out to his car less than 4-5 minutes later and found someone had gotten into his car, and stolen his cell phone, laptop computer, GPS navigator briefcase.....you name it .. called the police and since there were no signs of his car being broken into- the police told him that there is a device that robbers are using now to clone your security code when you lock your doors on your car using your key-chain locking device..

They sit a distance away and watch for their next victim. They know you are going inside of the store, restaurant, or bathroom and have a few minutes to steal and run. The police officer said... be sure to manually lock your car door by hitting the lock button inside the car, that way if there is someone sitting in a parking lotwatching for their next victim it will not be you. When you hit the lock button on your car upon exiting...it does not send the security code, but if you walk away and use the door lock on your key chain- it sends the code through the airwaves where it can be stolen, something totally new to us.

Be aware of this and please pass this note on..look how many times we all lock our doors with our keys...just to be sure we remembered to lock them....and bingo someone have our code...and whatever was in the car...can be gone.

Keep safe everyone

Cst. Wally Henry
    Strathcona County Detachment
    Media Liaison/Community Policing Unit
    911 Bison Way
    Sherwood Park
    T8H-1S9
    Tel: 780-449-0152
    Fax: 780-449-1265
    Last edited by Turkey; 11-10-2008, 10:33 AM.
    Sanity In Numbers

Re: Theft From Vehicles

Okay that makes little to no sense seeing most cars have an anti lock out feature. If you try and lock the doors from the inside out you are not going to be able to trigger the drivers door if it is opened or you open it. That is in most modern cars.

Also, Why not lock all that up in your trunk and lock out your trunk release button in the car?

Lastly, I would have thought we have rolling codes? Just like a garage door opener?

Comment

i make sure there is nothing to steel . and leave it unlocked seems to work i hate broken windows and fu*cked key holes this kind of thief is at least nice enuf not to do that
      sigpic

Comment

Wow another cop who doesn't know the what the hell they are talking about. It is VERY hard for someone to just pull the code from your car and then clone it to unlock it again. First thing is most thief's are not that smart second is they would need some very specialized hardware that would not come cheap. It is not 1985 anymore where cars etc didn't have rolling codes and hardware coded keys. For someone to look at the data packet from the remote (let alone capture it), be able to tell the version of code and the manufacture of the vehicle, decode it, figure out the unlock code and transmit it is highly unlikely.
        Name: Brent
        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/lockcode.asp
          Heather

2004 Audi A4 1.8T

Comment

Thank You blueMoro.

In other news... did you know that the word "gullible" isn't actually in the Webster's dictionary?

Cheers... Deuce.
            Rob
            Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
            Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

If you have a very old non-codehopping keyless entry system - yes it's possible (same thing with garage door openers)
              with garage door openers if you set the code with some dip switches - you are vunerable.

I don't think thieves (common variety) will use/spend money on technology to rip off small items, unless they know what you have and want it.

EDIT: I'd worry about whoever installs theft/remote entry, that's the weak link - they may program an extra transmitter for themself.
              Last edited by Satnam; 11-12-2008, 11:09 AM.
              put.......put.......

.... ... .. .

Comment

Originally posted by Satnam View Post
                EDIT: I'd worry about whoever installs theft/remote entry, that's the weak link - they may program an extra transmitter for themself.
                Not sure if Audi does this but my Volvo actually tells me how many keys are programmed for the car. I can access it through the menu on the dash. I will sometimes check after I've been to the dealership (although I never really have anything valuable in the car).
                Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Satnam View Post

Pretty sure you can re-code your keys on your own with most alarm systems, which requires all transmitters to be present during the process. This would prevent this. i could be wrong...
                  Last edited by stefan; 11-12-2008, 08:16 PM.
                  Stefan
                  -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                  -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                  -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                  -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuna View Post
                    Not sure if Audi does this but my Volvo actually tells me how many keys are programmed for the car. I can access it through the menu on the dash. I will sometimes check after I've been to the dealership (although I never really have anything valuable in the car).
                    Your key and car also rotate the codes being used. If you ever find that your remote seems to be out of sync ie not responding too well then you can try to fix it but holding the unlock button for 3 seconds. Otherwise we have found that the internals of the key are wearing marks in the battery and causing a loss of contact, theres a service kit to replace the guts of the remote.
                    06 Subaru STi
                    Volvo tech

Comment

im from vancouver. its just ingrained in me NEVER to leave valueables in my car. not in the trunk, not under the seat. NO WHERE.
                      its just inviting people to break in. i am shocked by the number of people who leaves hundreds of dollars worth of stuff in plain sight all day.

a surrey car theif would have a field day here
                      Team Highschool
                      Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

hey im from surrey...

but i would agree 100%. Like when i went to the stampede this year. just walking past cars with sunroofs open and window cracked open. With ipods sunglasses, i even saw a laptop in the backseat of one car. Bad idea anywhere you live, not just surrey
                        James
                        mk4 wagon

Comment

Take a dump in a box and wrap it like a christmas present, and leave it in your car with no other valubles and the doors unlocked. Go hide and enjoy when some jack@$$ comes and opens it.
                          Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                          2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

I'm lost. Did nobody read the link to the Snopes site that BlueMoro provided? This entire thing is a HOAX. I can't believe you are still discussing it!
                            Jeff

2017 Sportwagen
                            2016 .:R (sold)
                            2013 Golf TDI Wolfsburg (sold)
                            2001.5 Audi S4 (sold)

Comment

".....no one reads posts around here." lol.
                              James
                              mk4 wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X