Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just about bit the dust on the deerfoot today

So.... ~4:00PM southbound deerfoot just before the Peagan offramp -

I am in the right lane going under 95KM/h in the middle lane two car lengths ahead is a tractor-trailer unit. I spot a piece of metal, about 3 feet in length with 3 pieces sticking out at 90 degree angles (looks almost like those plastic coat hangers you put behind your door... only much larger and metal)

The tractor either does not see it, or does not have time to move as he hits it straight on and it bounces into my lane. The mini-van two cars ahead hits it right on and it goes under the right side tires, the SUV infront swerves right and left to miss the metal I am unsure if it hit him as the next fraction of a second the metal was bouncing in the air at even level with the windshield and my head...

I swerve left while it is in the air, as it hits the ground it flys left and I swerve right...

I glance in my rearview and see that it bounced off to the curb side an no one else seemed to have to make emergency manouvers.

My heart was pounding and I might have soiled myself a little but! But it was not totally over.. about 1KM ahead as you come around the bend heading towards the glenmore offramp the rear passenger side tire on the mini-van that made contact blows and he fights to keep control as he gets to the shoulder... the thing that bothers me is that I didn't stop, I think my brain was in such fight or flight mode that I was just happy that I made it out alive.

I'm glad I was I had the driving experience and fast thinking to manouver quick enough.. with the way it got air time I'm afraid of what might have happened.
    Last edited by DigitalAudio; 10-08-2008, 09:20 PM.
    Greg

Yuppy Car
    2002 - Jetta 1.8T Galactic Blue
    EcoTerrorist SUV
    2006 - Hummer H3 Shadow Green

Re: Just about bit the dust on the deerfoot today

Wow, glad to hear your alright.
    Deerfoot has become an absolute nightmare over the last year (it was bad before but not nearly like this)
    They have WAY to much construction going on at the same time. That, mixed with stupid people that cant drive, it makes for a lethal combination.
    Just my 2 cents
    -Drew
    2001 "BORA" GLS 1.8T
    1990 Lincoln Continental

Comment

Glad you and your car are alright. I've had similar experiences and it's scary as hell to be in a situation like that.
      Rob

Brilliant Black 2000 S4

Comment

jeesh! stupid roads here.

thats like last year this giant chunk of metal fell off a truck and totalled this girls car.. it was on the news.. somehow her insurance wouldn't cover it nor the company hauling it.. total boner smoking show

Comment

My Dad's car got hit by a rock off a truck that was the size of a bowling ball, needless to say he needed a new hood and bumper. It was messed up.
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

i was following a truck pulling a camping trailer, he must have run over the 2x4 that was about 2 feet in length, it came out bouncing and by the time i saw it, i had no chance to react, ran over it with my left front, it bounced around under the car, cause when it hit my floor couple time i thought it went through it.

Everything was good, i was shocked. like the time a bunny ran in front of my suv during a fog, he was so fast that when i saw his furry a$$, it managed to make it across my front and just get love taped with the bumper. Fast little thing.
            "No one likes to shake hands with Mr.Shitty Fingers."

Comment

This is why I only drive on the Deerfoot 1-2 times a year now, just too nuts, especially with a small car.

Glad you survived unharmed though!
              Blair
              Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Me and a buddy driving on the deerfoot truck a lane over and a couple cars up carrying a sofa half in the back hits that bump north of the calf rope. Sofa lands right in front of us my buddy didn't have time to do anything we just went straight at it lucky it matrixed right around us as it spun towards the side of the road. We just looked at each other laughed and continued on our way. That would have been messy hitting a full sized sofa at 120kph.
                2020 Toyota Corolla Hatch (At least its a Manual!)
                2001 Audi S4 (Trunk still smells like Ryan?)
                2001 Audi A4 - RIP
                2004 Mygale SJ04 - Racecar
                2013 Toyota Sienna - Baby Transporter
                2001.5 Audi S4 -SOLD
                1986 Reynard SF86 -SOLD
                2003 Jetta GLI - Garbage bin

Comment

jesus christ!

Comment

Glad to hear you made it through unscathed. Friend of mine had a shovel come completely through his windshield passenger side a couple years ago, luckily nobody was decapitated.
                    2002 996TT
                    2011 S5
                    2004 S4 Avant

Comment

Glad to hear you're alright!

I had another episode on Crowchild this morning. Changing lanes into the middle lane from the right lane, some guy in a Subaru is changing from the far right lane which ends into the right lane. That's cool. Except for the fact that I'm virtually in his sights and he's decided to not stop changing lanes, without signaling as well. So he proceeds to keep driving towards me. I swerve left stomp on the gas, cut off a minivan and avoid getting side swiped by this new non attentive shadow. So he then figures that since I tapped the horn at him he's going to tail me and ride my ass. That's fun and fine as well, except when I'm now trying to turn off of Crowchild to drop my girlfriend off at the University and he's blocking my turn signal.

Fun. In the end I ended up giving him a short firm brake and he backed off.

Music to permeate your soul …
                      Jayson
                      MKIV Jetta GLS VR6 -PARTING OUT-

What's Next?

Comment

The deerfoot never used to be this bad.. over the years it has just become too busy. Also people seem to think that it is the autobahn and travel at insane high speeds!

I think the worse moment I had on the deerfoot was back in 95. I was driving my first car.. a 1990 pontiac firefly and I had the hood latch release and the hood flew up and smashed the window. I made it to the side of the road safe and tied the hood down and drove home in the shoulder with my blinkers on.
                        Greg

Yuppy Car
                        2002 - Jetta 1.8T Galactic Blue
                        EcoTerrorist SUV
                        2006 - Hummer H3 Shadow Green

Comment

Working...
                        X