Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'The Natural' returns: Couture back in UFC to fight Lesnar!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'The Natural' returns: Couture back in UFC to fight Lesnar!

The Ultimate Fighting Championship and its heavyweight champion are back together after a nearly year-long argument.

Almost eleven months after titleholder Randy Couture announced he was quitting UFC, the two sides on Tuesday afternoon announced that he would return to fight Brock Lesnar at UFC 91, scheduled for Nov. 15, in Las Vegas.

Couture in October said he was leaving the promotion to pursue a fight with Russian superstar Fedor Emelianenko, but UFC claimed Couture was contractually bound for at least two more UFC fights before he could compete in mixed martial arts for anyone else. The company later sued Couture, claiming he breached a separate employment contract by allowing his name and likeness to be used by other MMA promoters.

An attempt by HDNet Fights owner Mark Cuban to have a court in Texas rule on Couture's contractual status failed earlier this year, leaving the matter in the hands of arbitrators in Nevada, UFC's home state.

Couture, a five-time UFC champion, last fought in July of last year, when he successfully defended his heavyweight belt with a technical knockout of Gabriel Gonzaga in the third round.

Lesnar has fought only three professional MMA bouts, but he dominated hardy veteran Heath Herring at UFC 87 last month. As an NCAA Division I-A wrestling champion and a former star in professional wrestling, Lesnar brings a combination of enormous athletic ability and widespread name recognition.

Couture said he was eager to end the legal battle. Fighting Lesnar "makes sense because it's part of a resolution for getting back on good terms with UFC," Couture said, during a Tuesday conference call with reporters.

The winner of Lesnar-Couture will fight the winner of a December bout between interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Frank Mir, said UFC President Dana White.

Couture's return to UFC raises questions about future opponents for Emelianenko, who fights for M-1 Global and Affliction Entertainment. Emelianenko, widely considered the world's top heavyweight, won the newly created heavyweight title of the World Alliance of Mixed Martial Arts when he defeated former UFC champion Tim Sylvia in 36 seconds.

Immediately after beating Sylvia, Emelianenko said he wants to fight Couture. Affliction officials have said they would be interested in promoting that matchup if Couture could resolve his legal issues with UFC.

Couture said he takes the Lesnar fight seriously, but also made clear that Emelianenko remains his ultimate goal.

"I have faith that the UFC is working diligently to make the Fedor fight happen," Couture said. "Obviously, that's the endgame for me."

Although White dismissed Emelianenko as "completely irrelevant" to the company's current situation, he still would like to match him against Couture because of the interest among hardcore fans. But UFC doesn't want to undercut the Russian's contracts with other promoters, White said.

"If the Fedor fight can be made ... then absolutely we would love to make the Fedor fight," White said.
    Last edited by VAG_Tech; 09-02-2008, 05:38 PM.
    Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
    You dig sucka?!

Re: 'The Natural' returns: Couture back in UFC to fight Lesnar!

That Lesnar is an animal....If he had a few more years of MMA training he would run wild over everybody else. I do enjoy watching him fight but he is not in Fedors class at all. As for Couture....every day he is getting older and it has to catch up with him soon...but he has surprised me in the past. He has a lot of grit.
    2004 VW Jetta TDI Sport

Comment

Copied and pasted from a post I made a week ago on a MMA forum:

This Lesnar vs Couture fight is retarded

This is a lose lose situation for Randy. If he beats Lesnar, big whoop! Everyone will say he should have won and that even Frank Mir beat Lesnar. If he loses, his name will be tarnished after working so hard to beat guys like Sylvia and Gonzaga.

Not to mention the fact that he may get injured and completely ruin any chance of him fighting Fedor any time soon.

Lets face it, the Fedor fight needs to happen soon, otherwise Randy will be 50 years old when we actually see this fight. Time is deffinately a factor for Randy. Yeah, he's done amazing things at his age, but if you guys honestly think he will be just as good as he was 1 year ago, give your head a shake.

If he beats Lesnar, he's gotta fight the winner of Mir vs Nog......If he loses against Lesnar, the Couture v. Fedor fight will not evoke nearly the same anticipation as it has up to this point

What if Couture beats Lesnar and the winner of Mir and Nog? I highly doubt the UFC will let thier champ leave to fight in another org. Im sure they have special clauses in their contracts for such occasions.

At this point, I don't expect to see Couture vs Fedor in 2009

I completely agree with this following statement posted on the same MMA forum:

"If it weren't for the entertainment I get from watching MMA (any org) I would stop feeding money to Dana White and his hypocritical bull**** filled mouth.

White on Kimbo Slice: "Elite went the way of the freakshow, we have never taken that approach, we bring guys in who know how to fight and are quality"

Now this, putting up an ex WWE star with a 1 and 1 record for a title shot, stepping in front of the guy who beat him. Who he will face should he win (and then probably get submitted again).

This is CLEARLY an attempt to fill the bank account and honestly I could almost give a ****. Randy Couture is old and hasn't fought in a long time.....who cares? It isn't like he is going to hold the title for 10 years. And if he ever fights Fedor, again....who cares? It will mean nothing and I bet people will all be saying when it is over "I wish this fight would have happened 5 years ago, 10 years ago, etc..., it would have been much better"
      Tint sucks

Comment

Well said.
        Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
        You dig sucka?!

Comment

but he has to only fight twice more then his contract is over and he can fight whoever right? so maybe he just wants to get them out of the way so he can get on with it before he gets too old
          Eric..

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something you don't!

Comment

this is a fight for the new people to mma, it's going to sell big but prove nothing. lesnar has huge potential and is going to be very good, but why fight randy now other then to get a huge ppv. i still watch but i'm starting to loose interest in mma

Comment

Working...
            X