Scammers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scammers

So I am trying to sell an old car and I have it on Craig's List. I get an E mail from a guy wanting to buy the car. We trade E mails and I notice that even though he claims his name is Curtis Fisher he is not an native English speaker. In his latest E Mail he tells me that he can't come look at the car but he has seen the photo so he is prepared to buy it. He wants to send me a certified cheque for the payment. So I think who pays for a $900 car with a certified cheque instead of just paying cash. I pull his IP address out of the E mail header.....Bingo its from Nigeria!

Good news is I pwnd the scammer ...bad news is I still havn't sold the car.
    2004 VW Jetta TDI Sport

Re: Scammers

i don't understand how this scam works... you ship the car to nigeria, and he doesn't pay?

pain in the butt though. i got a couple oddball emails from craigslist too.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

usually they send you a certified cheque for a larger amount, and ask you to send a cheque back to them for the difference. In the mean time their cheque bounces.

Happens with people renting places who ask for a deposit up front.
      Mitesh

Comment

ahhh
        Stefan
        -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
        -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I once sold a Maxima to a guy who came down from Edmonton. He gave me 4$22,000 cash. I counted for a bit and then said screw it. Had lot of $20 and $50s. Probably not smart to take in so many small bills either.

Comment

LOL 22gs in 20/50s sounds like fake money to me!

certified cheque or F off

Comment

Yeah in the future it must be certified cheque, and I will have the person go to the bank with me.

As for the bills, the bank put it thru the counting machine so it was good $.

Comment

careful, there are alot of fraud cert cheques too.
                Mitesh

Comment

Originally posted by Mefro View Post
                  careful, there are alot of fraud cert cheques too.
                  You got that rite,I got stung with 880.00 dollar bill because this U.S.A guy
                  had a cert cheq that was bogus.

Comment

Best way to do things in large amounts is with wire transfers.

If you are taking a certified cheque from well known canadian institutions. A best practice is to ask for the receipt for the cheque. If its real they should have a receipt provided to them by the institutions.
                    Mitesh

Comment

Working...
                    X