St. Pierre retains welterweight title at UFC 87

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Pierre retains welterweight title at UFC 87

MINNEAPOLIS — Canadian Georges St. Pierre punished Jon Fitch for five rounds to win a one-sided decision and retain his welterweight title at UFC 87 on Saturday night.

St. Pierre (17-2) showed his mixed martial arts class in winning 50-43, 50-44, 50-44. Fitch (21-3) was gritty and game, but could not solve the relentless St. Pierre, who won the standup game and outwrestled the former Purdue wrestler.

"Congratulations to him. His first title shot. He did awesome," said St. Pierre.

Heavyweight Brock Lesnar and lightweight Kenny Florian were also winners before 15,082 at the Target Center. But Canadian middleweight Jason MacDonald, despite a game showing, was choked out in the third round by unbeaten Brazilian jiu-jitsu ace Demian Maia.

It was the UFC's first foray into Minnesota and more than a few Canadians made the trip, decking the arena with Canadian flags. Fans cheered every mention of local favourites Roger Huerta and Lesnar but the loudest applause went to St. Pierre, one of the most popular fighters in the UFC.

The maple leafs were flying as the 27-year-old from Montreal entered wearing a black gi adorned with his logo and samurai headband. Fitch paced inside the cage, waiting. He was booed when introduced. GSP got nothing but cheers.

St. Pierre scored a takedown immediately and scored with punches from above. As in the past with wrestlers, he controlled and when the fight went back up, he knocked Fitch down and hammered away with fists and elbows. Fitch was cut.

There was more pain for Fitch when he got up, this time a right to the head that floored him. Referee Yves Lavigne of Montreal almost stopped it right then.

St. Pierre scored with his punches in the second, messing up Fitch's face some more with the jab. The Canadian danced and punched, fending off Fitch. The challenger stuffed a takedown and connected with a couple of wild blows, but it was another GSP round.

Fitch's corner was screaming during the break while an unmarked St. Pierre looked like he was enjoying a stroll in the park.

In the third, a big right hand put Fitch down again. But he survived and got on top of GSP, who scrambled free and reversed the position. Back on his feet, St. Pierre continued to win the standup war. A big right, knee and kick followed. Fitch was reeling and St. Pierre slammed him down to the ground to end the round.

St. Pierre was cut near the left eye in the fourth. But Fitch was bleeding more and he was stymied again on a takedown attempt. The round ended with GSP on top.

The Canadian, not quite as handsome as when the fight started but looking considerably better than a battered Fitch, controlled the fifth from top position as well.

Fitch, 30, came into the fight having won his last 15 bouts, including all eight in the UFC. He had not lost since December 2002 when he was knocked out by Wilson Gouveia.

In the co-main event, Lesnar dominated veteran heavyweight Heath (The Texas Crazy Horse) Herring en route to a unanimous decision scored 30-26 by all three judges.

Lesnar (2-1) cut Herring (29-14-1) early in the fight — bowling him over with an overhand right, his first punch coming out of the blocks — and then outmuscled him on the ground. The former NCAA wrestling champion and WWE star, a behemoth at 6-3 and 265 pounds, had his way in the first round and not much changed in the second or third when Lesnar controlled Herring and then used his knees to punish the six-foot-four, 250-pounder.

Still a raw talent, Lesnar showed he has made strides in his MMA education since being submitted in 90 seconds by former champion Frank Mir, a jiu-jitsu black belt, in his UFC debut at UFC 81 in February. Herring, meanwhile, did not have the skills off his back to resist Lesnar and heads home with stitches and lumps to show for it.

"Can you see me now," yelled a jubilant Lesnar in the ring afterwards.

Florian won a well-deserved decision over Huerta to secure a lightweight title shot, handing the popular Huerta his first loss in seven UFC outings. But whether current 155-pound champion B.J. Penn wants to dance is debatable. Penn seemingly has his eyes set on moving up to 170 for a rematch with St. Pierre, who won a split decision when they met at 170 pounds at UFC 58 in March 2006.

UFC president Dana White has gone on record saying the St. Pierre-Penn fight will happen.

Florian (10-3) simply had more weapons in his toolbox than Huerta (22-2), mixing takedowns with kicks and punches. Huerta, who had faced lesser UFC opposition before meeting Florian, never stopped coming forward but had no answers and threw his mouthpiece down in disgust when the fight ended.

"He was tough as nails," said Florian, who has won five straight since losing to Sean Sherk in a lightweight title bout a UFC 64 in October 2006.

MacDonald, a 33-year-old from Red Deer, Alta., was in tough against Maia (9-0), a two-time world champion and three-time World Cup champion in jiu-jitsu. MacDonald showed off his ground skills, fending off the Brazilian and trying submissions of his own. But Maia's class showed — he did damage with some vicious ground and pound in the second round — and a battered MacDonald (21-10) eventually succumbed to a rear naked choke two minutes 44 seconds into the final round.

In a fight that took just 12 seconds to decide, lightweight Rob (The Saint) Emerson knocked down an onrushing Manvel (The Anvel) Gamburyan with a right almost as soon as the bell went and then knocked him out with a left as he tried to get up.

There were five first-time UFC fighters on the five-bout preliminary card and it showed in the quality.

Light-heavyweight Jon (Bones) Jones, at 21 the youngest fighter in the UFC, put on one of the better showings in winning a unanimous decision over former IFL Pit Bull Andre Gusmao in battle of unbeaten UFC newcomers. Jones, a former junior college wrestling champion, tried everything from spinning back fists to flying elbows against a disappointing Gusmao.

Heavyweight Cheick Kongo, relegated to the prelims after a loss to Herring last time out, stopped Dan (The Viking) Evensen in the first round. The six-foot-four, 240-pound Frenchman toppled the Las Vegas-based Norwegian with a right to the chin and then punched away until Montreal referee Yves Lavigne stepped 4:55 into the fight.

In other welterweight fights, Tamden (The Barn Cat) McCrory won a decision over Luke (The Silent Assassin) Cummo, Chris (The Professor) Wilson got the decision over (Hollywood) Steve Bruno and Ben (Killa B) Saunders submitted Ryan (The Tank Engine) Thomas via armbar at 2:28 of the second round.
    Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
    You dig sucka?!

Re: St. Pierre retains welterweight title at UFC 87

ya watched it, not bad
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Didn't get to watch it, no PPV in the hospital room :(
      Name: Brent
      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall View Post
        Didn't get to watch it, no PPV in the hospital room :(
        HuH?
        Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
        You dig sucka?!

Comment

It really erks me when Americans start chanting USA! USA! USA! at sporting events.

Im glad GSP made Fitch his B!tch.
          Tint sucks

Comment

I watched the fight....I am surprised that Fitch got up from some of those shots he took from GSP. Watching them in slow motion you can see the power in the punch as is ripples though his body.
            2004 VW Jetta TDI Sport

Comment

http://fightviewer.com/

Comment

I prefer mmatko.com
                Tint sucks

Comment

I just watched the fight and I have to say I would look forward to a BJ Penn vs GSP fight. GSP just needs to work on his submissions and I think he will be an overall monster in the ring. The ref must have been told to make sure the fight lasted more then one round as I have seen fights stopped for lesser beatings then the one in the first round. I also loved how GSP showed some class at the start of the 5th round then nailed him with his first punch
                  Pitty I missed the rest but that is the way things go with all the pregnancy woes these days.
                  Man Brock Lesnar is a bull in a chine shop!
                  Last edited by Stonewall; 08-11-2008, 11:24 PM.
                  Name: Brent
                  His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                  Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                  Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Working...
                  X