Cote to fight Silva for title at UFC 90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cote to fight Silva for title at UFC 90

Canada could have two UFC champions by year's end.

Quebec City's Patrick (The Predator) Cote will take on middleweight title-holder Anderson (The Spider) Silva on Oct. 25, the organization officially announced on Sunday.

Their bout will headline UFC 90: Silva vs. Cote at the Allstate Arena in Chicago, which will also be the first ever event in the state of Illinois, which recently passed legislation to sanction mixed martial arts.

Cote (13-4, 4-4 in the UFC) had earned a title shot after his decision-win early this month over Ricardo Almeida, his fourth straight victory in the Octagon. But it was expected he would first have to wait for Silva to take on Yushin Okami, the division's No. 1 contender.

However, an injury to Okami pushed back his availability. Neither the UFC nor Silva wanted to wait for another marquee fight. And with Cote's aggressive style, a bout between the two would qualify.

"Anderson Silva once again showed why he's the greatest pound for pound fighter in the world when he moved up to light heavyweight and destroyed James (The Sandman) Irvin," UFC president Dana White said in a press release. "Now he drops back down to middleweight to defend his world title against Patrick Cote, a fighter on a four-fight win streak with a style that guarantees an incredible fight, wherever it goes.

"There is no better way to introduce Chicago to the UFC than with the championship fight Anderson Silva vs. Patrick Cote."

Silva (22-4) is coming off the memorable knockout of Irvin at UFC Fight Night on July 19, one that took just 61 seconds. His most recent middleweight belt defence was against former Pride title-holder Dan Henderson, which he secured with a second-round submission. He also holds two devastating TKO finishes over former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin, who is now fighting at a different weight class.

Cote, who is on a five-fight win streak overall and is known as one of the most powerful strikers in the world, said he isn't intimidated.

"Everybody that fought Anderson Silva was scared of him; I'm not scared of him one bit," said Cote. "It's gonna take him 10 straight punches to take me down -- I only need one punch to take him down. I'm Patrick Cote, I win against grapplers and I knock strikers out."

Cote currently trains in Montreal with top-notch fighters, including fellow Quebecer and welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre.

"I'm excited to take on Cote, but I am taking him very seriously," Silva said. "He is a dangerous striker and he likes to stand and trade with his opponents. That's the kind of fight fans like to see, and that's definitely the fight we're going to give them Oct. 25."

St. Pierre defends his belt at UFC 87 in Minneapolis on Aug. 9.

NOTES: The first fighter Cote beat in the UFC was Scott Smith, who was a loser to Robbie Lawler Saturday night at an EliteXC event in California. Cote beat Smith by unanimous decision in February 2007 to snap a four-fight losing streak in the Octagon. Smith has not fougt in the UFC since. ... White announced on Saturday that its next overseas card will be available for free, not on pay-per-view. UFC 89, taking place in Birmingham, England on Oct. 18 will air on Spike TV
    Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
    You dig sucka?!

Re: Cote to fight Silva for title at UFC 90

but can he BBQ.Bahahahahahahahah

Comment

Cote being Canadian won't make me cheer for him...

And I love the hype as Cote being "one of the most powerful strikers in the world"....predicated on what? Him KO'ing Kendal Grove? Or McFederies? He finally stuffed more takedowns in the Almeida fight than he has in his entire career but his sloppy striking despite having Dellagrotte in his corner will not save him. Irvin was a much better Muay Thai fighter than Cote and we saw how that went down (oxymorphone and methadone not having an impact on the technical aspects of his striking).

I'm a big Silva fan ever since he shut Lee Murray up in Cage Rage with an impressive fight against someone who was supposed to have all the tools to beat him (prior to which I just thought of him as a poor man's Diabate considering one of my fav fighters, Chonan, flying heel hooked him after dominating him the entire fight).

And as much as I'm a GSP fan, I am not confident he has the goods to outwrestle or outmuscle Fitch (who is a legit BJJ black belt under Camarillo who is an absolutely phenomenal judoka and jiujiteiro). On the feet I give GSP the edge but I think Fitch is the real deal but I want GSP to prove me wrong!

MMA is such a toss up though, every fight is 50/50 you never know!!!

Comment

so where are we going to watch this??
        Party time.
        Maybe i'll call Angelo for the portable satellite and set it up at my shop.
        Idea's.

Comment

Originally posted by VWSM View Post
          so where are we going to watch this??
          Party time.
          Maybe i'll call Angelo for the portable satellite and set it up at my shop.
          Idea's.
          OH MAN I WISH! The event is literally on the day of my wedding. So I'm ordering the HD PPV, pvr'ing it and watching it the following morning....

Comment

Originally posted by BadKenny View Post
            OH MAN I WISH! The event is literally on the day of my wedding. So I'm ordering the HD PPV, pvr'ing it and watching it the following morning....

break in the wife now and watch the fight with the guys.
            beer breath always goes over at a wedding..
            cheers
            Paul

Comment

Hahahah if only I could...
              Well I could.
              But after the planning headache this has been, I dunno if I'm down for a second marriage....

Comment

I have never been impressed with Cote...I think Silva will do his usual slow stalk then pounce with a flurry of punches and kicks that will beat Cote down. I am a big GSP fan ...I hope he brings his A game as Finch is on a real winning streak and he has a lot of skill.
                2004 VW Jetta TDI Sport

Comment

Working...
                X