hope you guys don't mind this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hope you guys don't mind this...

especially as it's my first post but i thought i'd give it a shot.

i was referred here by an ex-ontarian car freak like myself. thing is i'm still an ontarian but can't find meaningful employment here in the black hole that is the GTA, thanks to the states circling the bowl right now. getting to the point of just getting in the car and heading west. thing is, i'd like to have some sort of plan of action when i get there if i can.

anyone know of any mechanical engineering positions out there?
    i've done monster and i've done recruiters. the former has too many people looking and the latter i thin are a waste of human existance, promising the moon and then stop returning your calls after 2 weeks.....

i'm an experienced mech eng who just want to freakin work! if that means i gotta do my tour of duty in fort mac, so be it!

thanks for any leads you guys can offer, and sorry for the probable mis-use of the forum.

Re: hope you guys don't mind this...

If you are a professional engineer (PEO) I don’t think you will have a problem getting a job down here, I had lots of friends graduate from U of C Engineering and all received jobs within the first 3-4weeks of being done school.
    2001.5 Audi S4

Originally posted by James
    My engine may be a solid 4 liters smaller than yours, but i have a HUGE penis

Comment

I got my job through a recruiter and they were amazing. Not engineering work at all though...

One of the best places to look is the websites of the companies you'd like to work for. PetroCanada has a massive project just getting underway, and Encana is expanding too I've recently heard. Suncor, Husky and Precision Drilling might also be good sites to check out the "career" sections.

Comment

PM'd

Comment

thanks to all who'd PM'd me, I really appreciate it!

and sorry again for the blatant misuse of an automotive discussion forum. the way I'm planning at the moment, you guys might have a chance to yell at me in person in 3 or so weeks if you so desire!

cheers!

Comment

There are a lot of ways to get work in your field out here.

My intuition would point me in this direction if I were in your shoes:

-- Call the job placement / internship departments of the local colleges universities around here (U of C, Mount Royal College, U of A, etc) and talk to them about where and with whom their grads find work and how.

-- Get in touch with a company like Cenera, who help transition people from one career to another or get back on their feet after being laid off. My g/f works with this company (there are others) and they get huge corporate gigs when big companies are doing mass lay-offs. You won't get the run around from them if you're genuinely interested.

-- Go retro: polish up your cover letter and resume, get your suit cleaned and a fresh haircut. Research the big firms you want to work with and then their smaller competitors, and then pound the pavement both in person and via email. With the mega-projects going on right now the opportunities out there are endless.

For example: Total, BP, Dow-Chemical, ConocoPhillips, Shell, Imperial Oil, Syncrude, Suncor, Husky, EnCana, Ledcor, and Petro-Canada are all spending Billions on their projects. You can find a place with them if you sell yourself and your credentials properly. From the labour point of view, they just can't pay enough people to do the work for them!

Just beware of the expensive living conditions (especially in Ft. Mac) and sometimes tight housing market (for a good spot that is). If/when you get in the province, send out a message and we'll help get you settled. Myself, I'm good for advice in Ft. Mac, Edmonton, Red Deer and Calgary. Others are well versed there and elsewhere.

Good luck!
            Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
            Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
            Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

thanks again for the help guys. did alot of research this weekend. basically it's a done deal. i should be arriving in calgary just after the long weekend. have a meeting set up with one recruiter already and starting to chase up all the resumes i sent out late last week.

i can't tell you guys how nice it is to speak to people who are positive about the employment situation (a HUGE change from around here)....i shoulda been more serious about this 6 months ago when i started joking to friends about taking off in that direction!

cheers

Comment

Positive about employment - yes; housing, transportation, road conditions, traffic and inflation - no.
                Name: Brent
                His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall View Post
                  Positive about employment - yes; housing, transportation, road conditions, traffic and inflation - no.
                  you make it sound like these are not problems here in the GTA

Comment

Working...
                  X