In wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In wall

I am currently installing all my in-wall cables, the only thing I don't have is an in-wall power cable. I am currently just running an extension cord through the wall (yes I know this does not meet regulations). I have a few questions about what I can do.

a)Can I get in-wall rated power cables and just more or less use them as extension cords?

b)Run 2 of these, 1 behind the TV and the other at the Base and run an extension cord from my wall out let to the out let at the base? (I can’t tap into a power box due to location and the fact that I don’t want to 100% cut up my wall)
    2001.5 Audi S4

Originally posted by James
    My engine may be a solid 4 liters smaller than yours, but i have a HUGE penis

Re: In wall

Yeah, I did something very similar so that my TV is running off the power cleaner/UPS that the rest of my home theatre is running on. It's not to code, but should be fine. If you're really worried you could just use regular in wall power wire, and two terminal boxes. It would essentially be an in wall extension cord and would meet code as long as you grounded it properly. I don't plan on doing this myself and just have the wire running through the wall.
    Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
    hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah I am really not that worried about it, I will just go and buy a good extension cord and call it a day.
      2001.5 Audi S4

Comment

Just think though that is that extension cord starts on fire you will not be covered by your insurance. Extension cords are not meant to be run in a confined space and it if heats up there is nowhere for the heat to go. Do some more research and do it right the first time. I am sure you can find some good info here http://www.avsforum.com/
        Name: Brent
        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Just do it properly. Like Brent said any sort of fire happens you risk your insurance.

Would you do your plumbing with garden hose?
          Last edited by nordex; 06-11-2008, 08:51 AM.

Comment

I'm not trying to be a jerk 'caus I know you are far more knowledgable than me when it comes to anything electronic Brent, but how does an extension cord start on fire? The wires short out internally somehow (twisted or kinked) and start to heat up eventually burning the insulation and starting a fire? Wouldn't a surge supressor or UPS shut down power at the source when the short first happened, before the fire started? I'm debating doing the double terminal boxes and in-wall power wire for my installation now.
            Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
            sigpic

Comment

Alright well now that all I can think of is my house burning down with my cat in it I will be more or less following this DIY, I don't think I really need to buy the "Power Bridge" setup as it looks like it is just using parts you can buy at home depot but I will running in-wall rated power wires.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=917968
              2001.5 Audi S4

Comment

Yep, this is a packaged version of what I was speaking of. Two terminal boxes, some wall plates, and a few ft of in wall power wire and you're golden. I'm not sure if the power wire has to be tacked to wall studs to meet code, but GuySmiley ought to know
                Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Silverstoned View Post
                  I'm not trying to be a jerk 'caus I know you are far more knowledgable than me when it comes to anything electronic Brent, but how does an extension cord start on fire? The wires short out internally somehow (twisted or kinked) and start to heat up eventually burning the insulation and starting a fire? Wouldn't a surge supressor or UPS shut down power at the source when the short first happened, before the fire started? I'm debating doing the double terminal boxes and in-wall power wire for my installation now.
                  Fair enough questions. First off if you run to high a current in a small diameter wire the wire heats up, therefor heating up the insulation coving the wire. If the wire is in a interior wall there will more then likely be no insulation or vapor barrier so the wire will likely be lying against the paper backing of the drywall in a nice closed cavity that is going to heat up and cause a nice smoldering fire till it burns though and find more oxygen and by that time you are screwed. Now if both wires heat up enough to cause a short between the wires by that time it is likely not going to make much of a difference as there is already a lot of heat there and removing the electricity isn't going to do much. If you have ever renovated a house with aluminum wiring you know all about burnt spots in walls from wiring burning without tripping a breaker.
                  Putting in retrofit boxes isn't that hard and that link that Russell posted looks like a really good choice. The only place it would be a lot harder to do would be on an exterior wall where you have insulation and vapor barrier to deal with as you always want a 100% seal with vapor barrier.
                  Name: Brent
                  His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                  Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                  Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Working...
                  X