Remote Starter (Searched)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Starter (Searched)

I know this has been covered several time on here but all those posts are a few years old.

I am going to buy a remote starter/alarm that works with my 2002 1.8T GTI. I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me a few things.

What Kind (best quality, for medium price range $300-600)
    1. Viper, Compustar, other?

Compatibility
    2. Are all car alarms compatible with 5 speed manual vw's, any other things required for them to work?

Where to buy
    3. Do places usually give you a discount if you get them to install it also?

Where to install
    4. I've read good things about Audio concepts. Is it still the best place for a car alarm/remote starter install?

I'll keep searching around I just want to make sure I don't the wrong information, so people with car alarms/experience with this, please comment.

Thanks.

Re: Remote Starter (Searched)

If it helps, I've had compustar on my last 2 cars and I have had zero problems.
    Tint sucks

Comment

Oh yeah, both were vw's with manual transmission
      Tint sucks

Comment

That does help, as I have heard very good things about Compustar. Is there a particular model that seems to be the thing to get?

Also,

Did you install them yourself or have someone do it? Hell, I would drive up to Edmonton if someone up there knows what they are doing!
        Last edited by calgarydub; 06-06-2008, 02:58 PM.

Comment

To be honest with you, I don't know the exact model number. My MK3 had the first gen alarm/starter 2 way and my 20th currently has the newest alarm/starter 2 way (or prev gen if something newer has come out recently).

Both have been good. I had them installed at a friends shop called Decibals which is no longer open. Install should not be a problem for any shop with experience. Due to the microchip in the key, it is required that you leave a valet key with the installer so he can hide it somewhere in the dash for the starter to function.
          Tint sucks

Comment

Awesome information, thanks.

Well, there is the

2W900FMR Pro

And
            2W900FMR

I honestly cannot tell the difference other than color, maybe when I talk to a sales person at a store they can fill in the blanks.

There is also the Viper 7900

and Viper 5900

I'm kind of feeling compustar a little more though
            Last edited by calgarydub; 06-06-2008, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Ha, it looks like I have the 2W900FMR

Both viper and compustar are quality companies. Im sure you will be fine with either one. Go to a shop and get them to help you choose which one is right for you. After you decide on which one to get, call around and get a bunch of places to compete for your buisness. You would be surprised how much some shops are willing to work with you.

You should also ask how much an install would cost on its own. You might find good deals on the net for the actual alarm/starter.
              Tint sucks

Comment

I called Audio Concepts....$329 for the compustar alarm and starter, but $670.50 for the install and parts
                the grand total would be $999.50 all said and done.

Funny, I thought he said $99.50 for the install and I was about grab my jacket and head over there...
                That is insane money for an install, but I suppose its warranted for the quality of work they do and what is involved.

Screw the alarm, I'll just buy a gun and a mail order slave to start my car for me!
                Last edited by calgarydub; 06-06-2008, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Thats insane!

Do some more research and get a better deal on the install. I paid significantly less.
                  Tint sucks

Comment

Khyron on here has a compustar on his mk4, I think a lot of that "install" price is for a module you require to get around the factory system. I could be wrong, but audio concepts isn't actually TOO much more for labour than some of the other places around town and I've found a lot of times their prices are a little better.

At least make sure other places know what car it's going into, I'd hate to see you take it to futureshop or something because they quoted you a standard install price only for them to have A) installed it and now want to charge extra for the stuff they didn't tell you about or B) hack around it instead of doing it properly.

My 2 cents.
                    Jay

Comment

Yah I got the compustar and it's almost 1K with almost all the options. My remote can close all the windows/sunroof (same function as holding the lock) but the option to be able to remotely open them all was like 150+ extra which I didn't get (I have used the close function a ton, the range is just awesome).

That's also with turbo timer, single fob for locks and trunk, shock sensor.

I did poke around and the mk4 is about 8-9 hours if you do it right and solder wires etc. You don't want the guy rushing the wiring! On a MK3 it's a lot less. If you know a guy that can do it on the side, definately pay him well.

When I bought mine, the comp was the only one with decent (1/4+ mile) range. Also, Visions, A&B and FS all refused to put a starter in a manual. Maybe that's changed.

I can start my car from just leaving the saddledome while it's parked over on 11th ave. I dunno if the newer vipers have that sort of range now.
                      Geoff
                      Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Thats all awesome information!

Khyron, That is awesome that you can start your car all the way from there!

I wouldn't trust just anyone, Audio concepts is known for good work, a friend of mine has had some custom subs from there.

A friend of a friend works at future shop and knows his stuff, maybe I'll ask him to hook me up!

I will probably go with the Compustar 2W900FMR Pro as I have read that the unit is slimmer, and has been upgraded with new features and software.

I'll let you guys know how it all goes when I find out if this friend of a friend can do the install!
                        Last edited by calgarydub; 06-07-2008, 01:01 AM.

Comment

When i was looking I think George at Tune Dub gave me the best price for the unit i was looking at. George wouldnt do the install but has a relative that does. Im pretty sure that was a compustar unit as well.

Cant recommend this guy though coz i didnt do it in the end but it may be worth a call
                          Eric..

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something you don't!

Comment

You can expect to pay at most shops (that are capable of doing it right):

Alarm / Starter $280 - $350
                            Alarm install $80
                            Alarm options $40 each plus any modules for windows etc.
                            Manual Starter install $150
                            Bypass Module $60 - $100
                            Module Installation $40
                            Locks $50
                            Shop Materials $3-$5 per hour of installation

A qualified (non hack) installer should be able to do this job in 5 - 6 hours depending on how many options you go with on the alarm.
                            Jeff
                            2006 Jetta TDI

"If you think you don't like change, you will like obsolesence even less."

Comment

Makes me wish it was a $300 option from the factory...
                              2004 VW Jetta TDI Sport

Comment

Working...
                              X