Iphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iphone

Finally. Rogers is getting the iphone this year. Was released in the financial report!

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4802026&EDATE=
    Last edited by nordex; 04-29-2008, 09:13 AM.

Re: Iphone

http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/29/i...ing-to-canada/

Comment

However...

1. iPhone 2 is almost out in the US
      2. Rumors say iPhone generation 1 production is being scaled down
      3. Just because it will be available doesn't mean you will get affordable data
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

What about Rogers profit doubling too?

Personally as neat as the iPhone as I just really don't think its something I would really need the use for especially for the cost of the phone and the plan.

I am just going to bring back a couple unlocked phones from Asia.
        Blair
        Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

ahahhaa blair me too!

and yea i was going to say what kris said.. wait for iphone2

Comment

I'm SO all over this. Been waiting for a long time. My guess is that Rogers is waiting for the 3G iPhone to be announced and they'll ship around the same time. As Apple hasn't confirmed ship date or price, I think that's why Rogers is playing coy.
            billip
            2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

Ive had an iphone for ~6 months now.

My phone bill is ~$200 a month...and I dont have very much of a voice package

data package thru rogers for Edge service is $65/mo for 1GB, which is really the only option because 50MB likely wont be enough (which, I think, is the next option down)...As mentioned above, we get bent over hard on data rates here

gripes:
              -Edge service is an absolute f**king joke, we're talking 14.4 speeds here..Gross. 3g will be WAY better
              -Time stamps on text messages are phucked (minor one, but its kind of annoying)
              -iMap sucks compared to active sync; firmware v2 will correct this but for now, its a pain
              -the phone gets GREASY, cant avoid it, after 10 min of use it looks like you dropped it in a bucket of chicken

Unlocking these things couldnt be any easier. You download an application now that takes care of everything (was much more manual when I got mine with firmware 1.1)..rogers releasing them means nothing because it will more than likely STILL be cheaper to buyn it from the states, assuming you want to own the phone and not be tied into a contact like myself

All in all, best phone Ive ever had, and ive had a LOT of high end phones over the years
              REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
              -james

Comment

A friend of mine works at Rogers and he told me a while back that the only thing holding back the deal was that Apple wanted Rogers to offer a better data plan. Maybe Rogers cracked and will be offering a nice data plan to coincide with the iphone's release.

This is great news for me as Ive been holding out for the iphone. Yeah I could have bought an unlocked phone from basically anyone these days, but I wanted the added security of a warranty.
                Tint sucks

Comment

The new iphone with 3g is supposed to be thicker then the old one... uhhhh crappy. If it were like the ipod touch i would def buy one.
                  2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                  2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

demo'd one for 2 weeks through work. to be honest i would rather go with the blackberry if you are doing it for anything productive.
                    the iphone is for those that want to be seen with it. it's been a proven flop as the "blackberry killer" it was labelled as when it was first announced, and the fact it doesn't sync to most companies servers properly makes it a nightmare to deal with.
                    Team Highschool
                    Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

thats true.. blackberrys are still the ultimate in business just wait for the fall lineups to hit.. they will be full touch screen mp3 video ,etc. plus we dont' get screwed on model selection here in canada.. well unless your with telus hahahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post
                        demo'd one for 2 weeks through work. to be honest i would rather go with the blackberry if you are doing it for anything productive.
                        the iphone is for those that want to be seen with it. it's been a proven flop as the "blackberry killer" it was labelled as when it was first announced, and the fact it doesn't sync to most companies servers properly makes it a nightmare to deal with.
                        in canada, i can see it as a "want to be seen with it" device, but they sold MILLIONS in the states, so that argument ain't gonna fly. Its becoming as popular as that

As for it being a "blackberry killer"...well its not. No phone running imap can compete with a BES, and windows mobile is a piece of ****, otherwise you'd see alot more companies moving to active sync.

Today, its inferior to blackberries for business purpose...far superior to a blackberry if you don't use the device primairly for email however. And im sure you'll rebut talking about how you cant type as fast on the touch screen...well it took me a solid 2 MONTHS to get used to it, and i can now type as fast as I could on my Q or my blackberry or my blackjack, just a learning curve.

In june, with the release of active sync and all the goodies coming down the pipe with the SDK, you're going to see a whole different game. As i mentioned before, the failure of active sync so far is that windows mobile is the only device im aware of that can properly run it...and well...we all know how windows OS run.

You cant expect them to come in and squash RIM in one fel swoop, thats like saying Apple will have ~50+ % of the PC market share after they put intel chips in, these things take time.

As companies upgrade their mail servers to 03/07 and you can directly tie mobile devices with active sync to Exchange, why would you pay RIM to act as a go between?

How about office communicator services and all the work MS and Nortel are collaborating on for mobile devices? Sure, they'll release stuff for blackberries as well, but thats going to drive up BES licensing costs even more (which to be fair, are pretty modest)
                        REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                        -james

Comment

The rate plan will determine how sales go in Canada. We have been getting ripped off for years and I don't see Rogers (or Telus) volunteering to lower prices to something more reasonable to allow people to take advantage of the newer cell phones data capabilities.
                          2004 VW Jetta TDI Sport

Comment

I wanted an iphone, but had some troubles getting one so i've boycotted that ****... here's my story:

I find an unlocked iphone on ebay, so i buy it, $550. This was a while ago, and the seller doesnt ship me anything! So me alone with 10 other people got robbed. I file a claim with paypal and they covered the minimum $200, and say they cannot do anything else WTF! So i call my cousin in LA and ship one from apple to him for $350, get it here, and it was the new firmware 1.1.2 which couldnt be software unlocked at that time :( So i put it up for sale and sold it for $625.

what a joke, i got a curve 8320 now
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
                              However...

1. iPhone 2 is almost out in the US
                              2. Rumors say iPhone generation 1 production is being scaled down
                              3. Just because it will be available doesn't mean you will get affordable data

Actually, being an Apple product I would be more then happy to bet it'll be affordable data. Frankly at bell you can get unlimited internet on an HTC for 7 bucks a month.

I would be more then happy to assume that apple is going to do what it did in the States, and force even cheaper rates. The phone was designed with all the features and if they cannot be accessed for a fair price then they know it would be worth not releasing here for the fact that in the end they look bad for selling a product that no one can use because it is to expensive.

As an aside, I am sure most of you know apple is finallly going to be in alberta. With a store in Edmonton and Calgary. The West Ed store is opening very soon.
                              Last edited by nordex; 04-30-2008, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X